Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos Microwave internal light bulb

Options
  • 22-03-2019 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭

The bulb blew in my microwave 2 weeks before the end of warranty.

I took my time and only found the receipt today and its now 3 days outside of manufacturer's warranty.

I tried talking to CS Argos and I was flat out told take a hike Out of warranty.

See below transcript of conversation

3:10 PM
    Note: Argos respects your privacy and our chat experts cannot view your screen.
    Nicola,
    Hi phester , Welcome to Argos live chat you are chatting with Nikki . I can see that your query is regarding a microwave
    I am sorry to hear that, is this in relation to a home delivery or store collection order ?
    You,
    it was a collection
    the bulb blew two weeks ago. but ive just found my receipt now
    tranaction id 20180319 xxxxxx
    the bulb is not typically a serviceable item but I am qualified to change it should you be able to provide a replacement
    rather than rma the whole microwave etc
    Nicola,
    https://www.argos-support.co.uk/7235483-delonghi-p80zva-20l-800w-solo-et-ss
    This item come with a 12 month warranty for manufacuring faults so it would be out of warranty now
    http://www.delonghi.com/en-gb/customer-experience/delonghi-guarantee
    You,
    that's the manufacturer warranty. sales of good act says it should be of merchantable quality and last a reasonable amount of time. 2 days over a year is not merchantable quality
    my contract is with argos so i dont need to contact delongi
    Nicola,
    I am sorry as you are out of warranty with Argos
    You,
    are you familiar with the Irish or even the European law regarding sales of goods. As you are clearly incorrect here
    Nicola,
    You,
    i suggest you read https://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/faulty-goods-know-your-rights-if-things-go-wrong-1.3450322
    Nicola,

You,
    before saying that im out of warranty with Argos
    this conversation will form part of the small claims court claim
    Nicola,
    thats absolutley fine would you like me to email the transcript to you
    You,
    no need. but just to save you time the legal part that you should be acting on is this " It’s better if you live in the Republic of Ireland. Under Irish law, the limitation period is actually six years. If a fault arises within the first six months of purchase, it is presumed to have existed at the time of delivery and it is up to the seller to prove otherwise or provide remedies. After six months, the consumer may be requested to show that the lack of conformity (eg, a hidden defect) already existed at the time of delivery. The seller should first offer a repair or replacement (liaising with the manufacturer if necessary) and provide this free of charge. If this is not possible or fails to correct the problem, then the consumer may request a refund."
    3:23 PM
    Nicola,
    Yes under the 6 year duty of care you would need to provide an independant report on letter headed paper confirming the fault. On production of this we would be able to offer a repair
    You,
    actually when this conversation is over please email this to xxxxr@hotmail as I will want to use this conversation on a blog site and social media
    Nicola,
    yes thats fine we have social media team s
    can i take your email please
    hello?
    You,
    its a light bulb. I am a qualified engineer in this area and can provided a written report but it is not necessary as any person would be able to prove that the light bulb is blown and it would not be from abuse by the user
    i gave you me email already
    Nicola,
    sorry its not a complete emeil address
    xxxr@hotmail
    You,
    so that is argos final legal response....yes .com apologies
    xxxx@hotmail.com
    Nicola,
    thank you yes you are out of warranty
    goodbye
    3:28 PM
    Thanks for chatting with us.
    Feedback sent
    Transcript on its way…
    Start new chat

She hung up and tried the hello with a view to hanging up only after a few seconds of waiting

Did I handle this correctly? and is my only recourse Small claims court. The bulb is around 9 euro online from what I can find out without opening it up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Seriously? Wanting to get a light bulb in a microwave replaced under warranty? I'm not surprised she hung up on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭phester28

Faulty is faulty and its not a serviceable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Small claims court for a 9 euro bulb? :confused:

It's a light bulb, it would be classed as a consumable item which I'm 99% sure isn't covered under warranty.

its not a bulb which any normal person can access so its an integral part of the microwave so not a consumable. you would have to take off the whole cover and be a qualified person in this area. The Average person can not and should not attempt to access the wiring inside to microwave. It looks like this (the ones with a black base and spade connections. https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GGRV_enIE751IE751&biw=1327&bih=631&tbm=shop&ei=igWVXLf_KLOE1fAP3NWnqAQ&q=z187+bulb&oq=z187+bulb&gs_l=psy-ab.3...0.0.0.21868.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0....0...1c..64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.tSCj-VYkKik#spd=12892868554343814397

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I really suspect the registrar would decline to take this case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭Cordell

sales of good act says it should be of merchantable quality
    Well it is still microwaving just fine, only in the dark. TBH I wouldn't even bother replacing the bulb in mine, just as I never bother replacing the one in the oven. Totally useless anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

OP got schooled about the independent report!

Pkiernan wrote: »
    OP got schooled about the independent report!

Try again. If it was a fault in the product you "may" be asked to verify the fault with a third party report. This would cost more in itself than the application to the Small claims court. This is supposed to be the approach taken by merchants when they believe the product may have been abused in some way by the consumer. But is now the go to line once someone points out consumer rights

I normally would just put this down to experience as it is only a light bulb and I will get it fixed. But the approach taken is becoming more common by Argos, Currys, Harvey Norman and such even with high end items.

"Sorry your out of your 12 month Warranty" you are 2 days late now F off is not something anyone wants to hear, especially when it is misleading and not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

phester28 wrote: »
    Try again. If it was a fault in the product you "may" be asked to verify the fault with a third party report. This would cost more in itself than the application to the Small claims court. This is supposed to be the approach taken by merchants when they believe the product may have been abused in some way by the consumer. But is now the go to line once someone points out consumer rights

I normally would just put this down to experience as it is only a light bulb and I will get it fixed. But the approach taken is becoming more common by Argos, Currys, Harvey Norman and such even with high end items.

"Sorry your out of your 12 month Warranty" you are 2 days late now F off is not something anyone wants to hear, especially when it is misleading and not the case.

Email them and make a complaint

A local repair shop will likely replace this for less than the (non reclaimable) cost of the small claims fee by the way. But as bulbs are consumables it's really very unlikely you'd even be allowed pay the fee as the registrars can and do refuse hopeless causes

• Advertisement

I understand how "usually" bulbs are consumable as they are replaceable but do you think it is considered a consumable if they cant be changed by the consumer?

a local repair shop would charge 50 euro before even looking at an item.

Plenty of bulbs on cars can't be changed by the consumer, they are still consumables. As are brake pads etc.

Filament bulb life is primarily determined by use also, so not something that can ever be guaranteed.

You need to find a better repair shop. "Can you replace the bulb in this microwave" is not a diagnostics request and takes minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

The bulb blew in my microwave 2 weeks before the end of warranty.

I took my time and only found the receipt today and its now 3 days outside of manufacturer's warranty.

Why did you wait if the warranty was almost up?. Did microwaving in the dark for the 2 weeks cause you major problems?. Honestly is it that big a deal?.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭homer911

I bought a Microwave oven from PC World. The bulb blew within two weeks. The wife wanted me to take it back. I refused. Bought a new MW bulb for a fiver, had to take the cover off to change it but no big deal.. 3 years later its still working fine.

Are people so incapable?

To be fair to Argos. At least once I made a complaint they came back with "technically" correct info. This may benefit others

"I have read through the transcript and your email and can confirm all our products come with our standard 12 months manufacture warranty. As our warranty on the item has expired in the first instance, please telephone the manufacturer (telephone number below). Alternatively, you may wish to take the item to an independent business who will do a diagnostic test on the product and produce a report. If the report states the item has a manufacturing defect and no other reason, please take the item, your proof of purchase and the report to store and staff will assist you further. You will also be reimbursed for the cost of the report if the cost is reasonable."

P.S I reclaimed a bulb and fitted it in about 15 min

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭hurikane

Christ almighty. This just highlights what utter nonsense people in customer service jobs have to put up with .

hurikane wrote: »
    Christ almighty. This just highlights what utter nonsense people in customer service jobs have to put up with .

But if I did not have the skill set and obeyed the "Do not remove" labels no service parts inside. I would still be within my rights to make a claim. Would your 90 year old mother be able to complete this task. I think not

As I have always maintained. If a CS tells me fact, law its all good. I cant believe the keyboard warriors are out in force

As I have always maintained. If a CS tells me fact, law its all good. I cant believe the keyboard warriors are out in force

They sure are, they are on hammering Argos customer service.

Pot, kettle, black.

No electronics engineer would ever, ever, ever tell you that a filament bulb failing after nearly two years is a manufacturing defect, so you wouldn't be able to get an an independent report for that.

L1011 wrote: »
    No electronics engineer would ever, ever, ever tell you that a filament bulb failing after nearly two years is a manufacturing defect, so you wouldn't be able to get an an independent report for that.

It failed under 1 year (with very light use). And I think the report needs to only outline that it could not have been caused by the user and therefore is more likely that their must of been an issue leading to a fault with the wiring / bulb or switch or some other part of the microwave.

I cant believe that people jump the gun thinking that it is automatically the bulb when there is a switch that actuates (part of a sub assembly) the bulb. Any of these could have been the cause and would not be fixable

Any way at least by completing the post by Argos, Boards members now know what they are likely to face to claim a warranty on any product over 12 months and 1 day with the likes of Arogs, Currys

• Advertisement

Even if you managed to get an engineer to ignore that filament bulbs inherently fail, you would probably be asked to pay three figures for such a report.

There are some stupendously expensive combination microwaves/built in microwaves of course but in all cases; replacing the bulb would be cheaper.

Again, I think the point has been missed

If the user opens the unit even to merely change attempt to fix the lighting circuit then you would not be able to subsequently claim any further warranty under the sales of goods act as fit for purpose would not extend to the user taking covers off?

I cant believe that people jump the gun thinking that it is automatically the bulb when there is a switch that actuates (part of a sub assembly) the bulb. Any of these could have been the cause and would not be fixable

My god, in your OP you very clearly state the build is blown and a replacement is 9 quid. You also claim to be an engineer, can we not take you word for it? You the engineer, with the microwave that has a bulb blown, that is getting up on the high horse with Argos CS.

For the record. I should have stated that as the "light in the microwave was not working" I had not opened it up until after I contacted Argos

It turns out that it was the bulb. But I had a similar experience with a microwave a good few years back and it was only 1 month old. The cause was a faulty (physically broken) plastic assembly that holds the door switch.

Just another small update.

Even though Argos pointed me to contact the manufacturer for support and I did so, the provided manufacturer(link supplied by argos) has responded with

Many thanks for your email.

De’Longhi microwaves are sold by Argos, who are the manufacturer, importer and supplier of this product.

Sole responsibility and liabilities for the microwave lie with Argos.

The Argos Support helpline is 0345 604 0105

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

phester28 wrote:
    De’Longhi microwaves are sold by Argos, who are the manufacturer, importer and supplier of this product.

Argos manufacture De'Longhi microwaves?

Just another small update.

Even though Argos pointed me to contact the manufacturer for support and I did so, the provided manufacturer(link supplied by argos) has responded with

Many thanks for your email.

Sole responsibility and liabilities for the microwave lie with Argos.

The Argos Support helpline is 0345 604 0105

Climb up on that horse, and get straight back on to Argos, give em hell, don't hold back, both barrels.

Be worth going in to the store though, way more dramatic than live web chat.

im just trying to put up helpful info and close this out. Yes according to Delongi they dont make microwaves. The website also does no feature any. So Argos get them made elsewhere. Thinking back Delongi previously said when I tried to order a oven element for an older delongi microwave combination oven that they stocked no parts for microwaves.

I'm done with this guys. so no more poking :)

Advertisement