Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camcorder Help

Options
  • 22-03-2019 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

First time poster and hoping to avail of an expert.

I have a JVC Everio GZ-RX645BE. When the video is complete it's in the format of a MTS file. Is there anyway that the output file can be changed? I know it can be converted for example to WMV but this takes time.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

First time poster and hoping to avail of an expert.

Was this not you? :D
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95646286&postcount=1
    I have a JVC Everio GZ-RX645BE. When the video is complete it's in the format of a MTS file. Is there anyway that the output file can be changed? I know it can be converted for example to WMV but this takes time.

Thanks

No expert ... but your post looks lonely :D

I dunno about that particular camera, but wondered why you needed to change the container format?
    It should be quickly and easily done afterwards by copying both audio and video formats into new container format .... maybe .mkv.
    Maybe even try renaming the file to .MP4

Why you need to change the file is important.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Norf Tyrone

Thanks John Boy! I meant first time in technology section... I think!
    I wanted to illustrate that I am technical illiterate.

I was looking to change the format to edit on Windows Movie Maker. I currently use a converter. As my files are 10gig or so, it takes a really long time. If the original output file was in WMV it would save a long time. Is there something obvious I am missing!

Thanks again

Thanks John Boy! I meant first time in technology section... I think!
    I wanted to illustrate that I am technical illiterate.

I was looking to change the format to edit on Windows Movie Maker. I currently use a converter. As my files are 10gig or so, it takes a really long time. If the original output file was in WMV it would save a long time. Is there something obvious I am missing!

Thanks again

If it is the size of the recorded files that bothers you, maybe record in 720 rather than 1080 or whatever you use at present.
    I would expect there to be a setting in the camera menu to reduce the resolution of the recording. You could do a few tests to check if the quality is then acceptable for your use, at the lower resolution.

WMV is a container specification, as are AVI, MKV etc. The big size difference is determined by the video file inside the container and what resolution, bitrate, compression etc etc is used to create that.

Thank you lads for the reply. I had a feeling that the setting was the setting. I did convert it slightly smaller res but it took the files from around 16gig to 12gig which is a fair improvement, but still takes considerable time.

It's a fairly standard computer. I am not sure it'll make a huge difference to the conversion rate but I might borrow a friends PC to try.

Would the type of convertor matter? The converter I use is old and is a 'free download'. Any other free recommendations welcomed!

Thanks again

Thank you lads for the reply. I had a feeling that the setting was the setting. I did convert it slightly smaller res but it took the files from around 16gig to 12gig which is a fair improvement, but still takes considerable time.

It's a fairly standard computer. I am not sure it'll make a huge difference to the conversion rate but I might borrow a friends PC to try.

Would the type of convertor matter? The converter I use is old and is a 'free download'. Any other free recommendations welcomed!

Thanks again

Transcoding video (which is what you appear to want) is a very heavy duty process and can take quite a long time even on well specified PCs.

Maybe if you explain what the end result is to be used for and what the general process you are using is, someone might be able to suggest a more efficient method.

There are quite a number of open source/free transcoders and video converters available.

• Advertisement

Transcoding video (which is what you appear to want) is a very heavy duty process and can take quite a long time even on well specified PCs.

Maybe if you explain what the end result is to be used for and what the general process you are using is, someone might be able to suggest a more efficient method.

There are quite a number of open source/free transcoders and video converters available.

Hi Johnny

I was looking to change the format to edit on Windows Movie Maker. So essentially it records as a MTS file. To edit it in WMM, I have to convert it to a WMV file first.

Thanks

Hi Johnny

I was looking to change the format to edit on Windows Movie Maker. So essentially it records as a MTS file. To edit it in WMM, I have to convert it to a WMV file first.

Thanks

Is that the only file format that Win Movie Maker accepts?

Maybe look at using a different editor if so?

Limitations like that are ridiculous!

Maybe one of these might suit
    https://www.techradar.com/news/the-best-free-windows-movie-maker-alternative

Advertisement