Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tus and Jobpath question

Options
  • 22-03-2019 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi.
    I got a letter last week asking would I be interested in taking part in the Tus scheme and I said yes. It would be good to get out of the house for a couple of hours a day. But today I got a call from Seetec to attend a Jobpath joint information session on Tuesday. Will being called up to Jobpath affect me being able to take a place on Tus as I haven't gone to any meeting with Tus yet. The person who called me said to go to the jobpath session and explain it to them but im afraid once I go i'll be stuck with them and not be able to take a Tus placement. I was with jobpath for a year before and it was a complete waste of time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 rebecca82

Since July of last year you can do both tus / CE scheme and seetac / jobpath

• Registered Users Posts: 10 stigy919

Thanks for the reply. I was just hoping I can still take a tus placement if i sign with seetec. If I get a placement on tus would that mean I would be finished with Seetec?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Yesjeff

Intrigued to know how seetec work. Why was the time with them a joke? As already stated, you can do tus and jobpath simultaneously, so that should suit you perfectly...you can work on the Tus scheme while looking for full time work with seetec.

If you get the Tus place now you will continue with jobpath. If you'd agreed the Tus place prior to the referral to jobpath you wouldn't have to engage with jobpath

I think it was mainly the adviser I had. I was in 4 days a week looking for jobs or going in having meetings with him. I didn't have any transport, still don't, and it was a 30 min drive so i had to keep getting lifts off people to get in. I explained it to my adviser and asked could I look for work from home which I was already doing and I showed him proof. He just said if you don't engage with the program he will have to report me to the social welfare. I missed two job search appointments due to not having a way in and i contacted him to let him know but a week later my payment was suspended for 9 weeks.

After those 9 weeks I was sent straight back in but I had a different adviser who was a lovely lady. She understood my circumstances and gave me an appointment every 2 to 3 weeks but rang me every week to check up on my progress.

Maybe saying they are a waste of time is a bit harsh, they do try to get you a job that you want and is relevant to your skills and I think a lot of people would benefit from them but I live in a small town with no public transport so I couldn't really look for work outside my local area.

I did agree to tus about a week before i got the seetec letter I just havent heard anything back from tus yet. I was delighted because it meant tus might be able to get me a placement in my local area and id be able to get some experience for the 12 months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Plugguy

stigy919 wrote: »
    Hi.
    I got a letter last week asking would I be interested in taking part in the Tus scheme and I said yes. It would be good to get out of the house for a couple of hours a day. But today I got a call from Seetec to attend a Jobpath joint information session on Tuesday. Will being called up to Jobpath affect me being able to take a place on Tus as I haven't gone to any meeting with Tus yet. The person who called me said to go to the jobpath session and explain it to them but im afraid once I go i'll be stuck with them and not be able to take a Tus placement. I was with jobpath for a year before and it was a complete waste of time.

Was the letter you receivd from TUS a definite offer of a placement, or was it an invitation to an interview?

As far a I know you can do both TUS and Jobpath at the same time. You will attend Jobpath on your free time off form the TUS Scheme.

Plugguy wrote: »
    Was the letter you receivd from TUS a definite offer of a placement, or was it an invitation to an interview?

As far a I know you can do both TUS and Jobpath at the same time. You will attend Jobpath on your free time off form the TUS Scheme.

No I havent been offered anything yet, it was just a letter from the social welfare asking if i wanted to take part in the scheme so it I think tus will contact me at some stage with an invitation to an interview with them. Apparently it can take a couple of weeks for them to contact you after you send the letter back to the social welfare. Yeah i've been looking on other threads and it seems you do both at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

I thought referrals to Jobpath stopped?

https://www.thejournal.ie/jobpath-dail-vote-4480186-Feb2019/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

lolo62 wrote: »

No they didn’t stop. There was a vote in the Dail and a majority of TDs voted to stop JobPath but it’s up to the sitting government in the end. I’m guessing it will be finished just as soon as they find something to replace it, which you might like even less then Seetec.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Plugguy

stigy919 wrote: »
    No I havent been offered anything yet, it was just a letter from the social welfare asking if i wanted to take part in the scheme so it I think tus will contact me at some stage with an invitation to an interview with them. Apparently it can take a couple of weeks for them to contact you after you send the letter back to the social welfare. Yeah i've been looking on other threads and it seems you do both at the same time

It could actually take months before you hear anything about participating on TUS again. They can be very slow.

• Advertisement

Plugguy wrote: »
    It could actually take months before you hear anything about participating on TUS again. They can be very slow.

Yeah I heard it can take a while to get a placement sometimes but it said on the SW letter that TUS would contact me in a couple of weeks for my first meeting/interview with them. I think its just an interview to see what kind of placement would suit me and stuff like that. Probably not gonna matter too much now since i'm gonna be with seetec too

splinter65 wrote: »
    No they didn’t stop. There was a vote in the Dail and a majority of TDs voted to stop JobPath but it’s up to the sitting government in the end. I’m guessing it will be finished just as soon as they find something to replace it, which you might like even less then Seetec.

I'm not having as bad a time as some people. I just find it a ridiculous waste of time and money. I have resorted to pretending I don't know things and playing small with the representative. Just to keep things ticking over because if I ask a question she thinks I need to be taken down a peg. I've not had that treatment in my local social welfare office.

Are they not actually helping you look for work? Surely that's their sole purpose. They get paid for finding you employment

Yesjeff wrote: »
    Are they not actually helping you look for work? Surely that's their sole purpose. They get paid for finding you employment

No.

But you're looking for work yourself? Not just playing games with them by pretending not to know stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

But you're looking for work yourself? Not just playing games with them by pretending not to know stuff?

He’s already said he’s just playing around hoping to get to the end of the year without having to take a job.
    These are the hardcore dolers who have a right to stay on JSA as a principle and see this as an attack on their core entitlements.

God this forum is so bloody predictable.

MAJOR conclusions being drawn there without knowing anything about me, just because I express an opinion that the Jobpath scheme is a waste of money and time. Even bloody Fianna Fail think so at this stage so all you're doing is making yourself look silly with your snide comments.

Im also not going to go into my personal details in order to prove how wrong the assumptions are because I think it's kind of idiotic someone draws conclusions about who they think someone is from a couple of opinionated posts on an internet forum.

And I was also told once "never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with their experience"

I'll answer your question because you asked directly. Yes of course I'm looking for work. I am also doing courses. I am highly qualified in a very specific area and the skills aren't transferable to others. I currently work part time.
    The person I deal with gave me no information, all I found myself. When I say playing small and pretending not to know stuff, it's because a couple of times I've asked genuine questions about the process of the scheme to try and understand how to get the most out of it and I've been smacked down instantly. It's a case of "get back in your box". I have to attend appointments regularly so have found it's easier if I just act like the rep knows it all and I'm stupid.
    And in my own time I apply for jobs, contact colleges about courses, do extra hours for no pay at my current job, to try earn brownie points that might lead to extra work etc. I am also doing online training to upskill.

Something isn't adding up here. You're working part time, and want to do Tus on top?!How will the Tus program help you in getting that ideal job in the niche area you are qualified in?

As for jobpath staff member being rude, you don't have to accept that. If you're making all the efforts for work you say you are then they'd be happy with you I'd imagine.

Something isn't adding up here. You're working part time, and want to do Tus on top?!How will the Tus program help you in getting that ideal job in the niche area you are qualified in?

As for jobpath staff member being rude, you don't have to accept that. If you're making all the efforts for work you say you are then they'd be happy with you I'd imagine.

Yes you added up wrong..I don't want to do Tus.
    You also "imagine" wrong about Jobpath staff. I suppose you'd have to experience it yourself to understand fully, as you clearly don't take anyone else's word for it.

• Advertisement

I'm sorry, but I thought i was talking to the original poster. You seem to have hijacked his/her thread. They said they wanted to do Tus to get out of the house. Good luck to you in your job seeking.

Or are you using two pseudonyms and winding it up? Either way, I wish you well

I'm sorry, but I thought i was talking to the original poster. You seem to have hijacked his/her thread. They said they wanted to do Tus to get out of the house. Good luck to you in your job seeking.

No problem. No I haven't hijacked anyone's thread, I've posted comments on it, same as you :) thanks for the good wishes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement