Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I wanted to fly Ryanair, but...

Options
  • 22-03-2019 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

Today I found myself with a need for a last minute flight on a route served by both Ryanair and Aer Lingus. I tried to book Ryanair, getting as far as entering my credit card and hitting pay, only to learn that Plus fares had sold out. The site dropped me back to the first page of the booking (where I could still choose Plus; go figure).

Anyway, to cut a long story short, the Ryanair cabin baggage policy without priority is too tight for my backpack, which fits under a seat just fine, but is officially too big for the free bag.

I ended up booking Aer Lingus instead to avoid hassle – and this set me wondering. Do Ryanair's restrictive hand luggage dimensions cost them much business?

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Short answer, no, the vast majority of Ryanair passengers don’t care about their luggage, they put up with being seated separate to their travel companions, in the past they put up with the free seating scrum, they put up with being qued up for 20 mins before boarding actually commences in the wet and cold and Ryanair passenger number grow every year. Their passengers just don’t care.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭Markcheese

There was stacks of overhead luggage space on the 2 ryanair flights I took last week... Which was a total change from the last few times I'd flown with them, anyone who had a vaguely reasonable backpack or smallish bag bag didn't get asked to check the size,
    But there just isn't the room in overhead bins for everyone to use carry on "luggage", so Ryanair culled it the way they normally do..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

People, myself included, have predicted that X or Y will be the straw that breaks the passengers backs and stops them booking Ryanair. None of the changes have. The strikes have probably done more long-term damage than anything else (losing the reliable half of reliable bastards) else they've ever done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Locker10a wrote: »
    Short answer, no, the vast majority of Ryanair passengers don’t care about their luggage, they put up with being seated separate to their travel companions, in the past they put up with the free seating scrum, they put up with being qued up for 20 mins before boarding actually commences in the wet and cold and Ryanair passenger number grow every year. Their passengers just don’t care.

Apart from when they actually get on board and then decide it’s time for musical chairs and there’s no space for cabin bags as has happened on all my recent flights with them.

The priority queue is now usually much longer than the general boarding queue, it really should be renamed the ‘carry on bag’ queue as that’s what everyone is really paying for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

Meeeeooowwww

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The priority queue is now usually much longer than the general boarding queue, it really should be renamed the ‘carry on bag’ queue as that’s what everyone is really paying for.

I can see a further priority queue coming in if they can ensure there's gate space to do it (sometimes the two lanes is hard enough to fit). Many airlines in the US have more groups, up to 5, with lane dividers and strict application of the rules as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Noxegon wrote: »
    ........Anyway, to cut a long story short, the Ryanair cabin baggage policy without priority is too tight for my backpack, which fits under a seat just fine, but is officially too big for the free bag.

I ended up booking Aer Lingus instead to avoid hassle ........

Could you have bought the two bag 'priority boarding' option ?

if so, would it have satisfied your requirements ?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

I like from Dublin with Ryanair. The check in 10k bag can be any size as the automatic bag tag system just needs the weight to be in limit.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if the bag is on your shoulder they don't seem to tag it, or worry about the size of it. I have a 30litre regatta backpack and I've never had any trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Phil.x

I find Ryanair's website too confusing for what it is and I think it's done on purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

In my opinion people who want to find fault with Ryanair will generally find a fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

0lddog wrote: »
    Could you have bought the two bag 'priority boarding' option ?

if so, would it have satisfied your requirements ?

It would, but it was sold out. That’s why I was surprised plus was available - I figured they were holding back some priority slots for the more expensive fare.

For clarity, I like Ryanair. It’s my preferred choice for short haul out of Dublin. However, the bag that I keep essentials in is over their non-priority dimensions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

It would, but it was sold out. That’s why I was surprised plus was available - I figured they were holding back some priority slots for the more expensive fare.

For clarity, I like Ryanair. It’s my preferred choice for short haul out of Dublin. However, the bag that I keep essentials in is over their non-priority dimensions.

Sounds like you might need a new bag if Ryanair are your preferred choice for short haul out of DUB...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

That's me , that is;
    Minnie and meself are regulars-no choice.
    I treat it like any public transport ,bus, coach ,train.
    A pair of one hour flights for the equivalent of an hour's pay.
    My first flight 50 years ago cost a month's pay for one one hour flight for the privilege of being treated with disdain by snobbish aer lingus 'hostesses'.
    We opt for the 'pot luck' seats , which will invariably be middle front left and middle back right,
    then take the option of paying to switch one of these seats to one beside the 'free' one if available,If not I get an hour's peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Sounds like you might need a new bag if Ryanair are your preferred choice for short haul out of DUB...

Ha, I thought someone might say that :)

The problem I have is the size of my laptop; short of putting it in a bag with no padding, which I'm not about to do, I can't meet 40x25cm.

I'll stick with priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

When you are getting the exact same thing , I won’t pay more for Aer Lingus. No way. Time has price is all it comes down too ...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

However, the bag that I keep essentials in is over their non-priority dimensions.

The bag I use is too big for Ryanair non priority, or 2nd bag if booking priority, but I've never had any issues with it. Once you only have 1 bag and it's not massive they don't seen to mind, people have got on with bigger bags than me.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    When you are getting the exact same thing , I won’t pay more for Aer Lingus. No way. Time has price is all it comes down too ...

In my experience it’s not the same though

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭mikel97

Delighted to read that. Why should you give a Spanish/British airline such as Lingus the money when you can and should support Irish all the way.
    All the dramas with the Lingus new IAG colors made me and my other non Irish frends giggle.
    Build a bridge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

For some of us there are no other options, Ryanair is the only game in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Phen2206

This is the beauty of competition. The more airlines the better. Some people will prefer FR over EI every time; some people will choose either depending on price and there are people who will downright refuse to fly FR and stick to EI only. Obviously there is a significant group of people out there who would argue they are not the same thing, which is probably part of the reason why EI is still in business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,322 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

In my opinion people who want to find fault with Ryanair will generally find a fault.

Ryanair and the service they offer isn’t fault free, they CAN be a hassle to fly with. On the plus side when things are A1 they are great. You can get from A-B for significantly less then the competition. Their on time departure record is very good so when you HAVE to be somewhere at a certain time they more often then not get you there. My issue with Ryanair and how they fall behind most other carriers is reflected in my experience anyway of how poor and disinterested they can be when things go wrong for them and in turn the passengers.

It’s not finding fault it’s reflecting experience vs expectations.

Strumms wrote: »
    Ryanair and the service they offer isn’t fault free, they CAN be a hassle to fly with. On the plus side when things are A1 they are great. You can get from A-B for significantly less then the competition. Their on time departure record is very good so when you HAVE to be somewhere at a certain time they more often then not get you there. My issue with Ryanair and how they fall behind most other carriers is reflected in my experience anyway of how poor and disinterested they can be when things go wrong for them and in turn the passengers.

It’s not finding fault it’s reflecting experience vs expectations.

I had a flight cancelled by AerLingus and their answer to our and other passengers questions, like what about alternative flights or accommodation, was that we were no longer authorised to be air side so get out. When we got back land side they closed the service desk with about 100 people in the queue. So it's not just RyanAir that have terrible customer support when things go wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

I don't understand the pointless queuing up after a flight is cancelled.

Just get your phone out and rebook. Better advice is to go home.

Not every airline facilities that, Ryanair and Aer Lingus allow rebooking online, my friend got cancelled by Lufthansa and they didn’t facilitate online change of bookings options so she had to que for numous hours to be seen by an agent in the terminal

• Registered Users Posts: 38,290 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I've never flown with Ryanair and I probably never will. I've heard so many bad stories about them and the same people who told me the stories go fly with them again.
    I'm not a wealthy person but I like a few little comforts when I fly so I'll always pick an airline I can trust.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,169 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Which is grand when you live less than an hour away. Not so if you're stuck in a foreign country, or you're stuck in Dublin and living hours away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Unless it's a hard case your bag doesn't need to be the exact size of the requirements, it just has to be able to fit I to their tester thing. I fly with a backpack that's taller and wider than their limits but as it's not full it will still fit into their tester thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

eagle eye wrote: »
    I've never flown with Ryanair and I probably never will. I've heard so many bad stories about them and the same people who told me the stories go fly with them again.
    I'm not a wealthy person but I like a few little comforts when I fly so I'll always pick an airline I can trust.

I've flown with then.dozens if times. I've never had an issue. I follow the rules and I don't try chance my arm in regard to steating or luggage policies.

I've flown a lot less with are lingus and I've had way more issues. Being stranded in Madrid for 9 hours and only being issued a token for a bottle of water and a sandwich after 6 hours, having the flight information rolled back every 90 minutes to say it would be another two hours with no update from the airline. If they were just honest we could have just ****ed off until town for a few hours and enjoyed the city instead of staring at gate information hoping it wouldn't change this time.

Only luggage issue I've ever had was no airlines fault, a bag got lost in the space time vortex that is Heathrow but that's just Heathrow was flying virign Atlantic, but Heathrow is notorious for lost luggage. Showed up 3 weeks later in Heathrow and took another 7 days to get to me in Ecuador.

Had a lovely new wardrobe of clothes I bought in a gap outlet in Florida though!

Because the EU law requires them to look after their customers and telling people who have are about to leave a country and have no accommodation that they are not authorised to be air side is not how you deal with customers.

If they cancel a flight when the customer is air side THEY are supposed to rearrange the flight or provide accommodation not the customer.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »

Ryanair is fine once you obey their rules. It's the people who don't read the information when booking who run into problems, because Ryanair make/made it hard to avoid paying for the extras they are trying to bring on.

I got stung with a too big carry on and had to pay to put it in the hold. Was that Ryanair's fault because I did not have the correct sized bag when they have the dimensions allowed on their website?

Advertisement