Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I wanted to fly Ryanair, but...

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

No hablo Ingles!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

seamusk84 wrote: »
    Whats bothered me recently on Ryanair flights is when I sit down and then I have some parent beside me asking can their kid have my seat as they are seated away from them.
    I mean just pay for seat selection when booking. Not my fault if you didn't!

"No problem. You'll just need to give me the €15 I paid for the seat first" (even if it was only €3).

• Registered Users Posts: 16 rootsman

Had to move from a paid window seat as another passenger had paid for a seat for his guitar which can only go on the inside(he'd booked an aisle seat as he was on the other aisle seat.pissed off to say the least!!!!!
    Love Ryanair though......

In my opinion people who want to find fault with Ryanair will generally find a fault.

Used to be the same, until I got burned by them. Friend misplaced a boarding pass on the way back from a stag and they wanted to charge a fee for checking in, even though we were checked in already AND a fee for reprinting a Boarding Pass. We couldn't do that at the desk we were standing in front of (i.e. the check-in desk), and had to move to a separate queue and then re-queue at the check-in desk.

It was my friend's fault he lost the printouts, but not being able to check in at the check-in desk and having to pay €80 per person (plus another hour of queuing up for the privilege) to check-in is absurd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Used to be the same, until I got burned by them. Friend misplaced a boarding pass on the way back from a stag and they wanted to charge a fee for checking in, even though we were checked in already AND a fee for reprinting a Boarding Pass. We couldn't do that at the desk we were standing in front of (i.e. the check-in desk), and had to move to a separate queue and then re-queue at the check-in desk.

It was my friend's fault he lost the printouts, but not being able to check in at the check-in desk and having to pay €80 per person (plus another hour of queuing up for the privilege) to check-in is absurd.
    Did he lose his phone too?

• Advertisement

He did not. We'd been in the queue so long that we were past the threshold for checking-in online or downloading boarding passes.

Thanks for the input, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

I don't fly them very often but when I do I have a strict policy of charging €10 (£10) to give up my assigned seat. I used to travel back and forth from Warsaw a few years back and people who hadn't paid for reserved seats were always asking other people to move to accommodate them. I always made sure I was on early enough to claim my seat, once seated I put my earphones in and politely informed anyone who asked me to move that I would only do so if they refunded me the tenner I'd paid for the seat and ignored them after that...
    Incidentally I've never actually paid to reserve a seat but they don't know that, I also found that the later I checked in the more likely I was to be allocated an aisle or window seat...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

If you find some randomer hijacking your allocated seat,
    just pretend you don't see them, stow your luggage, take off your jacket,
    sort out your glasses and reading material,then just sit in on top of them.
    Just make sure it's the right seat first!!.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭ExoPolitic

I don't fly them very often but when I do I have a strict policy of charging €10 (£10) to give up my assigned seat. I used to travel back and forth from Warsaw a few years back and people who hadn't paid for reserved seats were always asking other people to move to accommodate them. I always made sure I was on early enough to claim my seat, once seated I put my earphones in and politely informed anyone who asked me to move that I would only do so if they refunded me the tenner I'd paid for the seat and ignored them after that...
    Incidentally I've never actually paid to reserve a seat but they don't know that, I also found that the later I checked in the more likely I was to be allocated an aisle or window seat...

I have found the same, the later you check in the more likely it is to get an aisle or window. I guess they fill up the middle seats first with the non seat pickers and when they run out they use the rest. So after the first third of the planes seats are taken with those, you get a good seat. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

As a very frequent FR flyer I see it happening the odd time but most of the time someone will offer a better seat than yours ( subjective of course ) but if someone gives me 1C so they can have my middle to sit beside granny, mostly I will . Depends on where your rollie is of course but if LGW is your destination it doesnt matter as the buses aint leaving till we re all off.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Or even worse. You arrive at your seat to find it occupied by someone who expects YOU to willingly let them sit in the aisle seat you’ve paid for towards the front of the plane, while you take their randomly selected middle seat towards the rear.

People asking to swap seats drives me mad. I've been asked once or twice to swap my aisle seat for a middle seat..not going to happen!

On a recent flight my girlfriend boarded and sat in her allocated aisle seat. A woman boarded the flight followed by a man. The woman gestured to my girlfriend that she was in the middle seat so my girlfriend got up to let her in. The woman took her seat and the guy behind her darted into my girlfriend's seat when she was still standing in the aisle and gestured to my girlfriend that his seat was somewhere over there, pointing with his finger in no specific direction. The guy didn't even ask if it was ok. If he had asked my girlfriend nicely to swap with him I know she would have. He got a piece of my girlfriend's mind and the cabin crew also weighed in to get him to move, which he eventually did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

trellheim wrote: »
    As a very frequent FR flyer I see it happening the odd time but most of the time someone will offer a better seat than yours ( subjective of course ) but if someone gives me 1C so they can have my middle to sit beside granny, mostly I will . Depends on where your rollie is of course but if LGW is your destination it doesnt matter as the buses aint leaving till we re all off.

Yeah I've found that's the case as well. I fly with them usually about 10 times a year (so 20 flights average) and always get on near the very end (I'm not queuing for 40 minutes when we've got assigned seats, that's just mad imo) and I think I've only ever had 2 situations where someone wanted to move or was in my seat.

Once there was a chap in my seat cos he didn't understand how it worked but his seat was an aisle so i told him I'm happy to stick with his (he was in my randomly allocated middle seat). The second time I was sat in my seat regular window seat and the girl beside me asked if I wanted to swap with her boyfriend in 1A which I was delighted to (I'm 6ft6" so any additional leg room is always appreciated).

Most of my flights are to cities so perhaps that's why it never happens as I'm guessing you see families with kids a lot more on sun destination flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,132 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

This issue isn't just limited to Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

smurfjed wrote: »

Indeed it isn't, two or three times in recent weeks it happened to me on Lufthansa and Swiss flights at the boarding gate when the staff asked me to move from my chosen seat to one in business class to accommodate some other passengers who probably wanted to sit together. On those occasions I didn't make a fuss, I just put up with it because I'm quite easygoing...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

smurfjed wrote: »

No its not, i’ve had more problems (minor) flying with EI than I have with RYR (none) but boards and it’s mods love a good Ryanair bashing thread

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

billie1b wrote: »
    No its not, i’ve had more problems (minor) flying with EI than I have with RYR (none) but boards and it’s mods love a good Ryanair bashing thread

Of course this occasionally happens everywhere but some airlines are better that others and it’s fair to say most don’t purposely separate people on the same booking.
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/aer-lingus-best-at-seating-companions-together-wfkb8k9gb

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

There's no accounting for people one woman asked my daughter who's 9 to move out of her seat. So that this woman's daughter of the same age could sit beside her, and mine could sit beside her hubbie...

Here's one for you missus...you swap with your other half but she didn't want to as she wanted the aisle seat

She honestly thought that swap would happen...!

No accounting for people ... That's not any airlines fault

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

billie1b wrote: »

Speaking as the person who started this thread, it wasn’t so much a bashing thread as an honest question thread - at least initially.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Need to be bashed with a blunt object, their checkout page is a cod. Deliberately misleading.

Personally speaking, I’ve never had a problem with Ryanair. My big gripe is with fellow passengers who fecked up the 2 bag policy by bringing 2 huge bags on with them.
    The new policy of one large handbag is ok. People are made stick to it. If only they’d look at their boarding passes and use the correct door and if they want to sit next to their companions, then pay for the privilege and don’t expect me to give up the seat I’ve paid for.
    Ryanair isn’t the problem. Passengers are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Do they supply boarding passes/instructions in languages other than English?

Do they supply boarding passes/instructions in languages other than English?

Yes

Noxegon wrote: »
    Speaking as the person who started this thread, it wasn’t so much a bashing thread as an honest question thread - at least initially.

I wasn’t blaming you on the ‘bashing’ part, if it came across that way, my apologies, it’s just the way all RYR threads go, into a bashing sessions, if the same thread was started about EI the mods would be out in force straight away with the ‘no airline bashing’ mod note and posts making them look bad deleted almost immediately. Just my observation of it that’s all.

Advertisement