Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chatbots?

Options
  • 23-03-2019 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

Hey folks,

Hope this is the right topic/thread.

Curious to see what peoples thoughts on chatbots/customer service bots are? Are many smb's using these on their websites?

I see these more and more on websites but then a lot of smaller businesses i.e restaurants , health & beauty salons etc don't seem to have one installed.

Are these the future for client interaction? It might be something I look to implement in the future but would be interested to hear peoples thoughts.

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

In my experience as a consumer, I think they're very limited. Even when you're chatting with a real person rather than a bot, it would be easier and faster to talk to someone on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

They are good for fielding questions that customers can easily answer themselves but can't be arsed like parcel tracking, opening hours, stock levels so helps reduce human time wasted on those types of questions. They're a start and the more they are used the more they will develop.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

It really depends on the purpose of adding one and the level of engagement required by the business - there are different levels of chatbots. Basic bots are great for straightforward static information like Jimmii said such as opening hours or parcel tracking. Even the presence of one on a website linked to a chat app or slack the business uses is useful in having the option there for the customer to be able to engage with someone without them having to make a call, which some don't want to do. Also the possibility of converting some cases of cart abandonment back into conversions through bot messaging. Every business and circumstance is different but chat bot integration is on the rise and the chatbot offerings improving very quickly over the last few months.

Emmo-m- wrote: »
    Hey folks,

Hope this is the right topic/thread.

Curious to see what peoples thoughts on chatbots/customer service bots are? Are many smb's using these on their websites?

I see these more and more on websites but then a lot of smaller businesses i.e restaurants , health & beauty salons etc don't seem to have one installed.

Are these the future for client interaction? It might be something I look to implement in the future but would be interested to hear peoples thoughts.

It depends on budget, the existence of a "perfect" site, and likelyhood of a lot of consumers requesting help.

The reality is that not every service has everything laid out absolutely perfectly, and so, a real person has to intervene and check the specific use case.

I don't see any reason for a restaurant having one. The effort needed to implement proper answers sounds like a significant investment in time on the part of the restaurant.

I don't see any reason for a restaurant having one. The effort needed to implement proper answers sounds like a significant investment in time on the part of the restaurant.

A chatbot to take reservations streamlines the whole process and reduces the amount of time spent answering the phone taking reservations. In an age where people prefer to message and type on their phone than speak to someone directly, it's the direction things are going. For online delivery, it removes the need for the customer to go download a separate app (such as deliveroo etc) they can go through the whole ordering process in a chatbot. If you want to go all out you can even have recommendations of accompanying side dishes or drinks made based on their meal choice. Those are just examples of what can be done, and obviously, the small local restaurant might not be adding one any day soon but on a larger scale it's definitely becoming mainstream across every industry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

They work best where an organisation has stable, repeatable processes. A small to medium enterprise may not have that level of consistency/repeatability yet.

Axwell wrote: »
    A chatbot to take reservations streamlines the whole process and reduces the amount of time spent answering the phone taking reservations. In an age where people prefer to message and type on their phone than speak to someone directly, it's the direction things are going. For online delivery, it removes the need for the customer to go download a separate app (such as deliveroo etc) they can go through the whole ordering process in a chatbot. If you want to go all out you can even have recommendations of accompanying side dishes or drinks made based on their meal choice. Those are just examples of what can be done, and obviously, the small local restaurant might not be adding one any day soon but on a larger scale it's definitely becoming mainstream across every industry.

A bot could never be trusted to even book a table, nevermind answering questions regarding allergies etc.

It is fanciful to think some entity other than MickyDs would go the extremes needed to cover their liability in such cases.

"But the chat said it didn't have peanuts.'

dudara wrote: »
    They work best where an organisation has stable, repeatable processes. A small to medium enterprise may not have that level of consistency/repeatability yet.

Exactly. I have a problem on Digital Ocean where I am fully aware of the technicalities involved.. Fine. The bot can point me to threads where my query has been answered.

To imagine a bot could be employed by a small business where very exact responses are needed is well a ways off.. If a company even took that risk and investment.

"And I just want to make sure that the meals are gluten-free and you're open till 10"

"Yes."

You're fuked if the bot only responds to being open till 10. It's a no-go.

A bot could never be trusted to even book a table, nevermind answering questions regarding allergies etc.

It is fanciful to think some entity other than MickyDs would go the extremes needed to cover their liability in such cases.

"But the chat said it didn't have peanuts.'

Chatbots already take reservations for plenty of restaurants...just look outside the small bubble of the world that is Ireland and you will see plenty of well done examples. TGI Fridays on Facebook have a chatbot that does a multitude of tasks.

People use apps like Deliveroo/Just Eat etc every day without interacting with a person, it's very simple to highlight you have an allergy on an order. It would be no different placing an order with a chatbot to answer a questions stating if you have an allergy as opposed to asking a chatbot does this item have x in it. The business can easily just have an option to speak to a real person if you have a specific question, for the majority of customers they could just place an order without any issues. Someone with an allergy can speak to a real person at the restaurant if needed, something you can't even do on the multitude of food delivery apps in Ireland.

• Advertisement

"And I just want to make sure that the meals are gluten-free and you're open till 10"

"Yes."

You're fuked if the bot only responds to being open till 10. It's a no-go.

For the most part, this is not how chat bots operate. They are options driven based on a set list of choices - not a back and forth conversation based on the user typing in anything they want.

Chatbots already take reservations for plenty of restaurants...just look outside the small bubble of the world that is Ireland and you will see plenty of well done examples. TGI Fridays on Facebook have a chatbot that does a multitude of tasks.

People use apps like Deliveroo/Just Eat etc every day without interacting with a person, it's very simple to highlight you have an allergy on an order. It would be no different placing an order with a chatbot to answer a questions stating if you have an allergy as opposed to asking a chatbot does this item have x in it. The business can easily just have an option to speak to a real person if you have a specific question, for the majority of customers they could just place an order without any issues. Someone with an allergy can speak to a real person at the restaurant if needed, something you can't even do on the multitude of food delivery apps in Ireland.

I am not against the idea, but be cautious. I enjoy Devil's Advocate. Being involved with what people ingest is as regulated as you'll ever get.

Disclaimers saying this is purely booking and all questions regarding allergies would probably do it.

I've also been working on a food app, though different to your idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Right Ax me old mucker. I'm not having this ! :p

Chatbots have no place whatsoever in the world of a good restaurant. Quality of service is about the first contact you make with a restaurant, until the thank you and goodbye you receive directly from the staff when you leave after enjoying your visit. That is what the customer should receive and should expect. A disinterest in making sure that before they arrive they are fully comfortable and relaxed about the evening ahead cannot be achieved via a chatbot, and it stinks of lack of professionalism and pride.

People have so many small 'trivial' queries that are actually really important to them and can cause huge stress to them. Believe it or not, lots of diners are quite anxious about going to a high quality restaurant and sometimes their enjoyment and experience is diminished because of this - they feel they are causing fuss and are a burden with their very innocent and easily addresses concerns. It doesn't need to be like this.

Providing your customers with the tools they need to enjoy their night starts with them ringing and asking do you have baby chair, can they bring a drop of special whiskey with them as its dads 80th birthday and they have his favourite bottle as a surprise, would it be ok to have a cake with a message on it, could we play a special song over the sound system for them. Small things that we can do, but that guests stress about. So they ring our reservation lines and we put them completely at ease, allay any fears they have and explain exactly how we will handle their requests. They then hang up the phone, feeling relaxed, excited and that they are welcome and will have a super night. And thats the job of a restauranteur, you serve experiences and enjoyment, not just food. Everything you do and serve in the food industry is a reflection directly on your own personal pride.

Chatbots can/should not play no part in that imho, and have no reason to be part of the process. Its a solution for a problem that doesn't exist, and even if it did the chatbot would never be the solution.

Nonsense Bandara... :P

But in all seriousness, the personal touch and the whole trivial things that you mention people ask for will still exist, chatbots aren't going to remove the ability to speak to someone if the customer wants/needs to. All those things you brought up are fine when people have specific requests they want and are in specific situations. But for those people who just want to go online, book a reservation and turn up to the restaurant chatbots streamline that process for both the business and the customer. For those people, they want a quick seamless process and as I mentioned earlier the current generation want to do so without having the call and speak to someone when they can just do it online. We can debate what is a 'good' restaurant and the fact is certain restaurants won't use one, but those ones probably don't even have a Facebook presence or take reservations via their website anyways and you have to call to book. There will always be the exceptions to the rule but for the average restaurant with a crowd of a certain age and online presence, it's just going to become the norm imo. For other industries, it is simply going to be a must-have.

Look at services like OpenTable where you can just go on an app, put in how many people and pick from the available times and then share the booking with everyone in the group, simple and efficient and in the US this has just become common practice. The restaurant experience doesn't change, you are greeted when you arrive, seated and your server looks after you as before but it can be enhanced by the easy process of booking a reservation and being able to get other info via a bot. As I said earlier TGI Friday uses a chatbot via Facebook to cater for a multitude of tasks and saves the business time and someone having to deal with the enquiries.

Heres an interesting article about them and restaurants but there are many others on there too worth a read - link

This isn't the future, its already being done and we are right now just discussing one industry. There will always be things a chatbot can't do but there are plenty of things it can and those save time and increase ROI for businesses and that is why they are being embraced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Nonsense Bandara... :P

But in all seriousness, the personal touch and the whole trivial things that you mention people ask for will still exist, chatbots aren't going to remove the ability to speak to someone if the customer wants/needs to. All those things you brought up are fine when people have specific requests they want and are in specific situations. But for those people who just want to go online, book a reservation and turn up to the restaurant chatbots streamline that process for both the business and the customer. For those people, they want a quick seamless process and as I mentioned earlier the current generation want to do so without having the call and speak to someone when they can just do it online. We can debate what is a 'good' restaurant and the fact is certain restaurants won't use one, but those ones probably don't even have a Facebook presence or take reservations via their website anyways and you have to call to book. There will always be the exceptions to the rule but for the average restaurant with a crowd of a certain age and online presence, it's just going to become the norm imo. For other industries, it is simply going to be a must-have.

Look at services like OpenTable where you can just go on an app, put in how many people and pick from the available times and then share the booking with everyone in the group, simple and efficient and in the US this has just become common practice. The restaurant experience doesn't change, you are greeted when you arrive, seated and your server looks after you as before but it can be enhanced by the easy process of booking a reservation and being able to get other info via a bot. As I said earlier TGI Friday uses a chatbot via Facebook to cater for a multitude of tasks and saves the business time and someone having to deal with the enquiries.

Heres an interesting article about them and restaurants but there are many others on there too worth a read - link

This isn't the future, its already being done and we are right now just discussing one industry. There will always be things a chatbot can't do but there are plenty of things it can and those save time and increase ROI for businesses and that is why they are being embraced.

Goddammit !

lol, fair points well made. But the huge issue for restaurants is no shows. And the only even slight protection we have against this is verifying everything with the customer whilst taking a reservation by phone, and then contacting the customer the day of the booking by phone to confirm they are still coming.

And for the record, I'm not counting TGIs within the restaurant category that I'm talking about here. no disrespect meant to them at all, but they are a very abc operation and customers know exactly what to expect and would not be demanding as its a enclosed offering. Once you vary into a high end service environment lots of other things are thrown up that cause issues.

Bandara wrote: »
    Goddammit !

lol, fair points well made. But the huge issue for restaurants is no shows. And the only even slight protection we have against this is verifying everything with the customer whilst taking a reservation by phone, and then contacting the customer the day of the booking by phone to confirm they are still coming.

Don't know how much take up OpenTable has in Ireland but in the US it's huge and it helps with this follow up process. The person who booked it will get a text requesting to confirm the booking again closer to the time or the restaurant can manually follow up still. A chatbot would still gather the person's name and phone number so you can still follow up to confirm as before via phone so it has no impact on that issue making it worse or better.

I don't know if there is really any solution to the problem of no shows apart from maybe taking a booking fee at the time of the reservation, it obviously doesn't cover the loss but its an incentive to make people not just book and not bother to show - of course, a chatbot could easily take and process payments :)
    There was a service on an app before, not sure if it's still going or it fully took off where restaurants could offer discounts as incentives to fill last minute cancellations. You would check the app and see there was a table for 2 after freeing up 45 mins and from now in restaurant X and if you took it you got a free drink or whatever.
    Bandara wrote: »
    And for the record, I'm not counting TGIs within the restaurant category that I'm talking about here. no disrespect meant to them at all, but they are a very abc operation and customers know exactly what to expect and would not be demanding as its a enclosed offering. Once you vary into a high end service environment lots of other things are thrown up that cause issues.

Yeah, as I said we could have a debate as to what is a 'good' restaurant and the more you go towards a high-end service it is a different level of service altogether where elements change all the time, people want a more personal service since they are paying more and it would not be a fit - but that's the same across all industries.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

For what it's worth, we implemented one with a sceptical business owner and they estimate it's added between 30 and 50k to their bottom line. Its a simple chatbot, basically taking the top questions they used to get by email and attempting to screen them by offering options. After that, we immediately ask for a phone number or if we detect a booking, we take the details.

The key take away is staff time. Instead of pulling teeth on facebook as you go from one piece of info to another, we can get the basics from the bot and call them straight away. You're talking a saving of minutes.

The distinction, however, is that this isn't Artificial Intelligence (AI) and the term ChatBot should really include if AI is in use. Most do not. However, Google Dialog Flow is very good and from mucking about with it, we've got demo systems to a really good standard with very little programming effort. Where we see a huge benefit to in Chatbot AI is to business owners with repetitive tasks e.g. 'Make a booking for 2 pm on Saturday for 3 people under the name ironclaw' and it's done. You can even use the likes of Alexa. That's instead of making multiple clicks or finding the diary. Matched to a good backend, sky is the limit.
    There was a service on an app before, not sure if it's still going or it fully took off where restaurants could offer discounts as incentives to fill last minute cancellations.

That was on Irish Dragon's Den I recall and always wondered if they got any traction with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭RCK1

From customer point of view I prefer the personal touch. I find the bot annoying where they can't seem to deal with more complicated questions. Peharps I've just used basic versions.

ironclaw wrote: »
    That was on Irish Dragon's Den I recall and always wondered if they got any traction with it.

I think it was yeah, I indirectly know the guy that set it up but didn't hear much about it afterwards so don't think it took off. He had a few other ideas on the go at the time too.

Edit: Had a look there and found it's not active, website non-existant etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

RCK1 wrote: »
    From customer point of view I prefer the personal touch. I find the bot annoying where they can't seem to deal with more complicated questions. Peharps I've just used basic versions.

The issue is many business owners don't design them very well or they get someone to implement one and they use a generic script. ChatBots are 'hot' at the moment and everyone is getting on the bandwagon to implement them.

My key advice to business owners is don't just stick one on your website and hope for the best. Tailor it, think about and use it to reduce your overhead. Take your top 10 questions and ensure your chatbot can answer them correctly, if it can't, don't use it.

As a follow up to that, don't use chat at all if you are not going to be responsive. Unless you can instantly chat back or can follow up within an hour or so by phone or email, it's just going to annoy customers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭gargargar

I think a simplistic booking 'chatbot' could work ok but as soon as you are into anything complex as outlined above i.e. 'does your sauce contain dairy' you are done for.

I recently had a question for mixpanel about their pricing. Now they are an established tech company, and the chatbot drove me crazy. Couldn't handle realatively basic questions on their pricing, so good luck with dietary questions.

Automated booking engines, which are more prescriptive, is definitely something to look at. I wouldn't trust natural language processing to not turn my customers off

• Registered Users Posts: 7 joshkg

Chatbots can be very annoying for the customers, I think there is a thin line between the benefit and disturbance it creates

Advertisement