Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric scooters on the Dart

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Victor, I find these annoying as well but you know fully well that nobody is taxing or insuring their electric scooters (yet) so stop playing dumb for an argument.

If you are using this point to promote their use then you must think that the people ripping about on motocross bikes are fine also, because none of them have tax/licence or insurance either so are breaking the same law which you think is fine to ignore.

Thor wrote: »
    Most Electric Scooters require you to kick off to start going. This classifies them as assisted and not propelled.

Also just to note. Tax office, insurance companies and license department all state that without a reg plate nothing requires tax or can be insured from a motor insurance company.

Three ireland Sell the Mii Scooter and do require proof that you have a license, but they have stated directly that is just to cover themselves and not because the law requires it.

Like a lot of things in Ireland, the law is very behind and doesn't directly take not of these types of devices, but currently under law as it stands. They do NOT require tax, insurance or a license, and thank god they don't. Let's hope this thread can get back on track.

Take it on the dart. It won't be a problem if it folds up.

I've never been asked to show my licence or proof of insurance when I bought my cars or bikes from dealers. The is no law requiring me to have a licence or insurance to own it. I need them to use them on the public road though, just like the e scooters and bikes.

Please provide the statute to proof that they don't require licence, tax or insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

what has any of this got to do with the OP's question - there's a very lengthy discussion on the legalities of these things on the Commuting forum.

As for bringing them onto the Dart; yes you can. Bikes are banned on peak-time services (though even this is not really enforced). These things are not bikes, you can bring them on board anytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

loyatemu wrote: »
    what has any of this got to do with the OP's question - there's a very lengthy discussion on the legalities of these things on the Commuting forum.

As for bringing them onto the Dart; yes you can. Bikes are banned on peak-time services (though even this is not really enforced). These things are not bikes, you can bring them on board anytime.

Exactly. Most use a scooter like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Xiaomi-Electric-Scooter-version-Warranty/dp/B07K811VNB/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1553526469&sr=8-3&keywords=xiaomi+scooter

They fold down, and holding it beside you as you stand shouldn't be a problem. They are reasonably compact (certainly a lot more than any bike, folding or otherwise). I wouldn't see any reason you couldn't fit one on a Dart at rush hour.

Can I bring my car on? Because these are classified closer to a car than a shopping trolley.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    Can I bring my car on? Because these are classified closer to a car than a shopping trolley.

how they're classified is irrelevant to whether you can bring them on the Dart.

If you have a car you can fold up and carry as hand-luggage, maybe you could try (though there may be restrictions on bringing petrol on-board, so eCar only.)

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭JaimeB

Thanks, straight to the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Doing a quick search for Segway tour operators in Dublin, they don't have license plates displayed either.

Neither do battery powered bicycles according to Cork city's coroners court;
    The inquest was told that the bike was in a roadworthy condition but was not classified as a mechanically propelled vehicle and did not require insurance.

Neither do battery powered bicycles according to Cork city's coroners court;

Segway tours operate on private property (Phoenix Park being owned by the OPW).

Pedelec bikes are specifically exempted from vehicle licensing (as are Invalid Carriages).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭Markcheese

The scooters in question are low speed,(not 30/40 kph), and need to be scooted, so are mechanically assisted. but they're not bikes,
    Are they causing a problem?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Del2005 wrote: »

Rarely uses the DART but goes on a rant when people want to bring their fold up scooters on the DART.

Go internet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 262 ✭✭TomasMacR

Gotta love this country, completely congested by traffic in most major cities with totally inadequate public transport and something comes up to alleviate this and the answer not only by officials but a good portion of posters on this is to restrict, outlaw, tax, regulate...essentially making it difficult and expensive for people to use them.

Look at Lisbon, already a great tram, bus and rail network over and underground...electric scooters come in and what do they do? Embrace, innovate and make it accessible to everyone by operating the equivalent of a Dublin bikes system of pay as you use and has been hugely successful.

And we wonder and get thick at the fella who decided to jump ship and move the Websummit there...god knows why.

I know maybe next we should restrict and outlaw highly efficient services such as Uber and AirBnb!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

TomasMacR wrote: »
    Gotta love this country, completely congested by traffic in most major cities with totally inadequate public transport and something comes up to alleviate this and the answer not only by officials but a good portion of posters on this is to restrict, outlaw, tax, regulate...essentially making it difficult and expensive for people to use them.

Look at Lisbon, already a great tram, bus and rail network over and underground...electric scooters come in and what do they do? Embrace, innovate and make it accessible to everyone by operating the equivalent of a Dublin bikes system of pay as you use and has been hugely successful.

And we wonder and get thick at the fella who decided to jump ship and move the Websummit there...god knows why.

I know maybe next we should restrict and outlaw highly efficient services such as Uber and AirBnb!

Little self appointed bureaucrats fashionably offended and indignantly stamping their little feet.

Over someone bringing a fold up scooter on the DART. Some of whom don't use the DART.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,806 ✭✭✭✭L1011

TomasMacR wrote: »

Money. Lisbon gave him lots and lots and lots of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Little self appointed bureaucrats fashionably offended and indignantly stamping their little feet.

Over someone bringing a fold up scooter on the DART. Some of whom don't use the DART.

In one word 'busybodies' :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 262 ✭✭TomasMacR

L1011 wrote: »
    Money. Lisbon gave him lots and lots and lots of money.

So you’re saying Lisbon gave him money to run his event in a city which has a far more efficient transport system (calling it efficient is being generous to Dublin in fairness as our transport system could be called non existent in comparison to Lisbon), it costs a fraction of what Dublin costs for daily cost of living and has readily affordable accommodation. Lastly, let’s not mention the absolute farcical venue the RDS is which isn’t fit to host anything other than a small horse riding event at best.

My question is, why wasn’t he paying Lisbon to take on the event rather than vice versa?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement