Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man asking money

• 23-03-2019 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,367 ✭✭✭

I was unsure of what title to use but has anybody notice a man asking for money, essentially begging around the Blanchardstown village area? I first came in contact with him when I was walking past Justins towards the Garda station, when he stopped me and asked if I had any money for petrol because his car had ran out of petrol on the slip way behind the Garda station and he had an empty plastic petrol container in his hand. As I stated I had no change and had just carried on walking a little boy had went to run across the road at the bus stop at Justin's to the side his dad was on, causing cars to screech to a halt suddenly. The kid was nearly knocked down. Turns out the kid was across the road asking people to sponsor him for something to do with school. As I continued on up towards the Garda station there was a little girl getting money from an old lady who had just signed some sort of yellow card, I don't know what it was. When the girl past me, I had looked back and seen she had joined the father and little boy out side FAS.

Several weeks later I was walking into supervalue in the village and there was a man hunkered down asking for spare change for the homeless and again days later asking for change to get food. I thought he had looked familiar but didn't think much of it.

Just 2 weeks ago the same man who I recognised from being outside of supervalue before, was in the same place asking to support a some sort of charity . He was holding a bucket, type you would pick up in any hardware shop, the type that was commonly used when people would wash their cars, they always had the white handles etc. He had yellow A4 card with writing that was tied around his neck with a cotton string, it was like a placard or something. This got me interested and It was obvious what this lad was up to.

It was only yesterday when I was coming home from work, I was waiting at the traffic lights outside ruby's and the internet cafe/tanning place when at the corner of my, the man in question appeared and made a sort of signal while holding his phone in hand, I didn't cop it or who he was , but just as I got the green man to cross, a little girl said "Excuse me" and asked me to sponsor her for something. It was the same girl as before which i explained above. I politely declined and crossed the road. I look back over the girl had gone back to outside of insomnia, playing on the railings out side it while looking at what is obviously her father.

Has anybody else noticed this or come in contact with a man asking for money or with kids asking to sponsor them. The next time I see him, I want to call him out on it. This isnt an a coincidence. the man is a shame and he's obviously using those kids as pawns. The little girl is very polite. An innocent child. The father looks rough is as common as muck.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

People beg. They sometimes lie. They sometimes use children or animals as bait. Not a new thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,367 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

MarkR wrote: »
    People beg. They sometimes lie. They sometimes use children or animals as bait. Not a new thing.

It is for Blanch. As Iv lived here since birth. I havent seen it. Thats the point of the thread. Talking specifics. Not Generics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

If they're asking for money for sponsorship report them to the Gardai.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,134 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I had a little boy bang on my door in Waterville on Monday looking for sponsorship for "Darndale boxing club" on a very homemade looking sponsorship card. Didn't like the look of the guy waiting for him, didn't spot a girl though. And no I didn't give him money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Darndale boxing club card thing been around awhile used to see a couple of lads in clonee doing the pubs have seen a young woman holding an paper coffee cup around dunnes in ongar recently .Have passed her twice last week with nothing in the cup ,she did not ask for money but looked like begging.

• Advertisement

He was there outside supervalue again tonight with the usual false "ok thank you , have a good night"

The mans a fraud

beauf wrote: »
    One the at carpenter shops on regular basis these days.

I know of the man in the wheel chair that sometimes does be outside mace across from the black wolf, and another man, they are never there together and not there every day .

The man Im talking about seems to be strategically carrying out different variations of getting money. I live in the village. There are elder that live in the village and around me that I know of, and this man is making me un easy knowing of the way he is scheming. who knows what he's do

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

"ok thank you , have a good night"

Bast*rd

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

Spotted him myself up around the garage beside the Garda Station a couple of times using the old jerry can trick looking for a few quid to get home :rolleyes:

colm18 wrote: »
    Bast*rd

yeah the bast*rd, only naivety would lead a person to think thats genuine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

I heard a woman tell a man (who was clearly a stranger to her) outside the Blanch village Supervalu this afternoon "No I don't, sorry."

I turned around and saw a man who I had noticed about a half an hour earlier leaning against a barrier outside the entrance to the supermarket.

I concluded that he must have asked her to make change for him so he could put a euro in a trolley, but after reading your post I'd imagine that it's actually the guy you're talking about and that he was begging for money.

It is a strange one to be honest as he didn't carry himself or dress / look like beggars usually do.

DareGod wrote: »
    It is a strange one to be honest as he didn't carry himself or dress / look like beggars usually do.

People who beg for money tend to look a certain way and making assumptions based on on what you see is difficult but this guy doesn't look like your usual pan handle, in this case, it obvious to. In Roselawn Iv only been ever asked the once for change, but over the past while in the village, a few more have started begging. The lads outside Mace or the Romanian woman at the side of Paddy Power

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Spotted him myself up around the garage beside the Garda Station a couple of times using the old jerry can trick looking for a few quid to get home :rolleyes:

Saw someone pulling the same trick up in the Westend retail park a while back (maybe the same guy for all I know!). Then I saw him there a few days later so as I go by I comment something like "stranded the same way twice in a week? That's shocking luck!", and cue my being ignored each time I passed that way the rest of the day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

yeah the bast*rd, only naivety would lead a person to think thats genuine.

Yeah not so sure this guy is a fraud as you pointed out above. I did have some interaction with the guy and bought him a coffee. Certainly had the appearance of someone with some issues.

Yeah not so sure this guy is a fraud as you pointed out above. I did have some interaction with the guy and bought him a coffee. Certainly had the appearance of someone with some issues.

Yes, issues being that he uses children to pan handle for him who also stands in the same place on multiple occasions using different reasons as to why he's asking for money. Pretending to be from a charity is low. Understand people struggle and things are difficult but the level of scheming from this man is disgusting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,274 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

One can have some issues and also be trying to fleece people. Id be concerned about old people being harassed to part with money either on the streets or on their door steps.

I support a few charities with direct donations and if i saw someone on the street in difficulty i would buy tea or food or a bus ticket or whatever if i felt it was genuine,but never part with cash.

Next time someone is greeted with the jerry can, walk him up to the service station and ask him if its petrol or diesel he needs and tell him to put a fivers worth in while you pay for it. You wont even make it past the traffic lights before he fecks off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,580 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

These scams have been going on a long time in various places - probably making more than the average Joe Soap every week
    Amazing some of the ideas they come up with for the con but using children is below the belt, ah well they are being trained well for the future.
    If you cannot survive on the well furnished social welfare in the country then there is something wrong and not with the welfare

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Larbre34 wrote: »
    One can have some issues and also be trying to fleece people. Id be concerned about old people being harassed to part with money either on the streets or on their door steps.

I support a few charities with direct donations and if i saw someone on the street in difficulty i would buy tea or food or a bus ticket or whatever if i felt it was genuine,but never part with cash.

Next time someone is greeted with the jerry can, walk him up to the service station and ask him if its petrol or diesel he needs and tell him to put a fivers worth in while you pay for it. You wont even make it past the traffic lights before he fecks off.

When I say issues, I mean possible drug / alcohol dependency, sleeping rough probably, he certainly had the appearance of it but your experience of said individual might be better than mine. He didn't come across as a fraudster to me but someone currently in a bad place. I did see the same individual months ago with the jerry can and kids and wondered about it. Having had some familiarity with someone else in a difficult place his behaviour is not so unusual. I might be completely wrong in my assessment, I don't give money, I've experienced plenty of fraudsters including a few charities. I just bought a guy a coffee who seemed down on his luck.

fritzelly wrote: »
    These scams have been going on a long time in various places - probably making more than the average Joe Soap every week
    Amazing some of the ideas they come up with for the con but using children is below the belt, ah well they are being trained well for the future.
    If you cannot survive on the well furnished social welfare in the country then there is something wrong and not with the welfare

Of course it has. This happens where my family lives in the inner city all the time, more than use to it. But locally, iv never seen it and thats what Im shocked but it.

Advertisement