Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bought Apartment without Parking Space , in error

Options
  • 23-03-2019 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi, looking for comment

Sister purchased an Apartment 2 years ago in Galway; it was advertised and being sold with a parking space. However with all the excitement of purchasing the Apartment she forgot to mention about a Parking space to her Solicitor and he left it out of the Contract which my sister Signed and the owner signed. Found out later that the parking space has a separate Deed so is not included as part of the Deed of the Apartment. She contacted the Seller and he said that the Car parking space was being sold with the Apartment but for an extra €2000 the same price he paid for it when purchased the Apartment.
    She got advice from a Solicitor about this and he said, that this issue is the precise reason that contracts are used , so that everything is laid out in black and white and everybody understands what they are buying /selling. If she went to court it would cost far in excess of €2000 and she may end up paying the Sellers costs as well as her own.
    Just wondering if people would agree what her solicitor said.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Your sister didn’t read her contract, so it’s 100% her fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Pay the 2k much easier in the long run

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Whatever about the blame apportionment, and it would appear the seller was acting shady, a separate deed with separate contract will require a separate purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

2k is a bargain. Take it and close it out, because they sound like idiots. You should be talking minimum 15k, and in some parts of the country they can go for 30k in time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

Think of it this way, for an outlay of 2k she has:-

1. Fixed the problem
    2. Acquired a Space
    3. Made her property a more desirable purchase if selling it in future - depending on where its located, the lack of a parking space could seriously devalue the property.

It's also her own mistake, 2k is bargain to fix something like this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

I would just pay it and get legal ownership of the parking spot.

The property will be seriously devalued if she goes to sell it in the future when the parking spot is not hers.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I actually thought this was about 20 k. Take it at 2 and lesson learnt. No harm to try to bargain, but she'll red that space.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

For €2k is the solicitor transferring title too? Seems too cheap to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

2k is such a cheap price to fix this error.
    It has huge benefits to the apartment and is a great value add.

Your sister made the mistake and the solicitor she has was poor for not mentioning something like this. The experience they have should of noted this was something to mention.

I paid 10k for my parking spot. 2k is nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

Few points to note:

1. It is your sisters fault for not reading her contract or confirming with solicitor of what exactly your purchasing. A good solicitor might have asked to confirm anyway but the onus was on your sister. Personally, i dont enjoy reading all of the legal jargon however she should have confirmed it with solicitor.
    2. Purchasing a parking spot on a deed can be considered a commercial purchase which entails stamp of 6pc. If bought with property, it might have been mingled into it but now when you are doing it separately, you will need to talk to solicitor to confirm.
    3. Normally speaking deeds for parking spaces in apartment blocks need to be bought and sold to an owner in the management co so the seller has a small audience to advertise to.. - use this to your advantage.
    4. Check how much this will cost your sister, the solicitor might feel sorry for you and do it for free(unlikely) but you have nothing to loose by trying.
    5. As the deed is seperate to the property, You need to see where you will store this. If its a mortgage property, it might be more risky to give this to the bank as it might go missing so another question you need to think about.
    6. For whatever else your sister can think of, it is best if you write it all down before talking to solicitor so that she doesnt forget to broach the point again.
    7.Its all about location, location, location. I have heard of parking spaces going for a few hundred k in places like Hong Kong but depending on where ever this apartment is. This might be expensive or cheap - Only you can be the judge of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

If she can wrap it uo for 2000 go for it. For letting purposes a parking space is vital. However if tenants dont need a space there may be a rental option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭karlitob

Hi, looking for comment

Sister purchased an Apartment 2 years ago in Galway; it was advertised and being sold with a parking space. However with all the excitement of purchasing the Apartment she forgot to mention about a Parking space to her Solicitor and he left it out of the Contract which my sister Signed and the owner signed. Found out later that the parking space has a separate Deed so is not included as part of the Deed of the Apartment. She contacted the Seller and he said that the Car parking space was being sold with the Apartment but for an extra €2000 the same price he paid for it when purchased the Apartment.
    She got advice from a Solicitor about this and he said, that this issue is the precise reason that contracts are used , so that everything is laid out in black and white and everybody understands what they are buying /selling. If she went to court it would cost far in excess of €2000 and she may end up paying the Sellers costs as well as her own.
    Just wondering if people would agree what her solicitor said.

I’m not sure what the problem is to be honest. If she realised before signing that the parking space was omitted then the total price for the property would’ve been €2k more. The parking space isn’t free.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

If your sister doesn't want it I might buy it!
    What then?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Op, I can tell you if you were angling at the solicitor having done something wrong and that maybe you had a case, you are so so wide of the mark here.

A parking space in an apartment block in Galway for 2k. Unbelievable. Word will go around about this to enquire about spaces going cheap. That is money for jam there. I'd take it myself. Anyone well networked within Galway will ring around and enquire and get themselves a bargain. If they can do the deal for 5k even it'd be a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

myshirt wrote: »
    Op, I can tell you if you were angling at the solicitor having done something wrong and that maybe you had a case, you are so so wide of the mark here.

A parking space in an apartment block in Galway for 2k. Unbelievable. Word will go around about this to enquire about spaces going cheap. That is money for jam there. I'd take it myself. Anyone well networked within Galway will ring around and enquire and get themselves a bargain. If they can do the deal for 5k even it'd be a bargain.

You wont be able to take it even if you wanted to. I have only had one situation myself where parking deeds were separated and at the time my solicitor mentioned something about insurance for the reason behind it that the parking space needs to be sold to an owner of the an apartment in there. It doesnt need to be sold directly to your sister i believe, but it has to be sold to someone within the block that is paying management fees, insurance etc. One of the other guys on here might be able to explain this legal aspect in layman terms better than me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

What has the previous owner been doing with the parking space the last 2 years?

Youd think theyd have been on touch to try sell it, unless they still park in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭footfall789

Thanks for all your replies .

My sister does not want to pay the €2,000 for the Car Parking space . So she went to another solicitor who will take on her case and she is going to Court . The new solicitor has said that she has a good case as it was mentioned in the advert that the Apartment came with an added benefit of a Car Parking Space. Also in the original contract ,where the Seller bought the Apartment from the Builder, it states that 'a parking Space' was included with the Apartment although it does not specify what parking space . However, seller has provided a separate deed and documentation that shows that the Car Parking Space was purchased separately for €2000 and has its own deed. I hope the solicitor knows what he is doing , he has given a caveat that if for some reason they loose it could cost her up €10,000 and she would still have to purchase the Car Park Space

• Registered Users Posts: 28,979 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

he has given a caveat that if for some reason they loose it could cost her up €10,000 and she would still have to purchase the Car Park Space

Did he explain that the price of the parking space might have gone up after she loses the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭ShaneC93

I hope the solicitor knows what he is doing , he has given a caveat that if for some reason they loose it could cost her up €10,000 and she would still have to purchase the Car Park Space.

I hope your sister knows what she is doing. From the info you've given the case seems less than guaranteed and I'd say they'll more than likely side with the seller. All to avoid paying €2K for a space - which as others have mentioned is a bargin, even for Galway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

What has the previous owner been doing with the parking space the last 2 years?

I'm curious about this too. Has the sister been using the space anyway, and the OP basically forgetting about it, which would suggest that insofar as both parties were concerned up to now, the parking space had changed hands along with the apartment itself?

If so, might this make any material difference to any legal action?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

My sister does not want to pay the €2,000 for the Car Parking space . So she went to another solicitor who will take on her case and she is going to Court . The new solicitor has said that she has a good case as it was mentioned in the advert that the Apartment came with an added benefit of a Car Parking Space. Also in the original contract ,where the Seller bought the Apartment from the Builder, it states that 'a parking Space' was included with the Apartment although it does not specify what parking space . However, seller has provided a separate deed and documentation that shows that the Car Parking Space was purchased separately for €2000 and has its own deed. I hope the solicitor knows what he is doing , he has given a caveat that if for some reason they loose it could cost her up €10,000 and she would still have to purchase the Car Park Space

If she "wins" it will probably still cost her more than 2,000euro?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Oh man, what a risky move over €2k. This is exactly the kind of thing I'd avoid picking at and just pay up. If the owner of the space wins the case, he might refuse to sell it to her, just to spite her, or increase the cost of it to €15k.

Your sister is making a serious mistake. The solicitor has even told her that she may not win.

She also needs to remember that having a solicitor take on your case does not tell you that you're likely to win. A solicitor will take on any batsh1t crazy case and will fight it, if they think they'll get paid at the end. He doesn't really care if he wins or loses, he gets paid either way.

Madness.

I hope it’s “no win, no fee”

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Notoldorwise

seamus wrote:
    Your sister is making a serious mistake. The solicitor has even told her that she may not win.

Absolutely. Only winners will be the solicitors..

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Humour Me

Has she asked the solicitor what his fee is?

“Mentioned in the advert” is called intention to treat. Just because a €100,000 Porsche has been mispriced at €10,000 doesn’t give you a right to purchase it at that price.

The contract between the buyer and seller is between the buyer and seller. If I buy a first edition Harry Potter book from a small bookshop on the day it came out for €2.99 doesn’t mean that I can’t sell it at €10,000 in Sotheby’s.

If a farmer buys land from a vendor, it doesn’t mean that he can’t sell off aome frontage.

To be honest, it sounds like your sister is foolish and deserves to waste her money - pity she doesn’t give it to the poor rather than a soliditor.

Although I do have magic beans if she wants to buy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

..... I hope the solicitor knows what he is doing ,

he has given a caveat that if for some reason they loose it could cost her up €10,000 and she would still have to purchase the Car Park Space. :eek:

I hope that your sister knows what she is doing!

Seems to me that her solicitor's view is that s/he has been instructed by his client to take the case and that's what s/he is doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

There's likely to be an expensive lesson to be learned here.

But, you're in a no win situation as well, OP. If you convince her not to pursue, she'll always partially blame you for having to pay the extra €2k.:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Oh man, I;d have gone to an ATM to get that €2k, sure it could work out for her but not worth the risk at all. "If for some reason" could very well be the likely outcome.

I'm struggling to see how she would have bought the apartment and not talked through the space.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Even if she wins what are the chances that she will be awarded costs? Solicitors fees in a case won't be cheap unless it can settle before court.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement