Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Games like Myst and Rizen for kids

• 23-03-2019 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭

Hi

Any more modern games like Myst or Riven for young kids (6-10)?

Trying to keep them away from the like of Fortnite for as long as I can, and minesweeper doesn't appeal to me at all (want it to be for us all) so a game that draws you in with nice visuals but is child friendly and has problem solving or a puzzle element would be great.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Obduction is a spiritual successor to Myst and Riven that came out a few years ago. I've not played it yet, so I'm not sure how kid-friendly it is.

The Witness might interest you too. It can be tough in places, but I'm sure they'd enjoy exploring the world and doing some of the easier puzzles if they're fans of Myst. It'll be free on April 4th from Epic Games if you don't mind waiting a couple of weeks.

As for other adventure games that'd be easier for kids, look at ones from Amanita Design. Nice characters, no dialogue to follow, mostly chill atmosphere. Some of their early games are Flash based and free on their website, you can see if your kids enjoy those before spending on the newer games.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

Obduction is a spiritual successor to Myst and Riven that came out a few years ago. I've not played it yet, so I'm not sure how kid-friendly it is.

The Witness might interest you too. It can be tough in places, but I'm sure they'd enjoy exploring the world and doing some of the easier puzzles if they're fans of Myst. It'll be free on April 4th from Epic Games if you don't mind waiting a couple of weeks.

As for other adventure games that'd be easier for kids, look at ones from Amanita Design. Nice characters, no dialogue to follow, mostly chill atmosphere. Some of their early games are Flash based and free on their website, you can see if your kids enjoy those before spending on the newer games.

Great stuff, thanks a mill! Those Amanita games look great, I'd actually tried Machinarium before and totally forgot about it. Will check out The Witness too. Appreciate it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,593 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I've played a good chunk of it, and there's no adult content, no violence, no strong language etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

Spear wrote: »
    I've played a good chunk of it, and there's no adult content, no violence, no strong language etc.

Cool will try that too so thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Check out Quern - Undying Thoughts. It's basically a modern day Myst. Solid game and its available on Steam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,835 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

'The Room' is a great escape puzzle game for Android. Well worth the fiver. Think it's also in the Steam store.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,748 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

A Hat in Time is the most charming 3D platformer you'll ever find.

Advertisement