Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gibraltar vs Ireland, Euro 2020 qualifier, RTE2 & Sky Sports Football, 5pm

• 23-03-2019 4:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRv3VBC5d_lcoVgpSU2yP5PRun0G-eqqxqkd5sP9LYW-h4hSQvDyg

Match Odds

Gibraltar 40/1
    Draw 17/1
    Ireland 1/33

Last year the Ireland team scored just 4 goals, managing just 1 win - and not managing any in competitive fixtures. It is possible we could better that record in this one game.

Gibraltar are in good spirits having beaten Armenia away and Liechtenstein at home a few months back, but Ireland will be hoping Mick McCarthy's first game in charge will see the 'new manager bounce' and spur us on to an opening victory. The bookies give the home side little hope.

How do you see the game panning out? Will we start with a positive result? Will the plastic pitch cause problems? Could the unthinkable happen and points be dropped?

I think a win by a minimum of three goals would be satisfactory. Anything less than that would come across as a bit flat. I'll go for a 3-0 Ireland win.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Ireland team:
    Randolph - Coleman, Duffy, Keogh, Stevens - Doherty, Hendrick, Hourihane, McClean - Maguire, McGoldrick.

It's the team I expected except for Hendrick; I thought Whelan or Arter might get the nod ahead of him. I want to see Hendrick step it up as it feels like a long time since we've seen him play well. Pleased to see Maguire start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I'm torn. I like Mick but at the same time I want them to crash and burn so everyone finally turns on the FAI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I'd like to have seen Egan for Keogh and anyone for Hendrick, but I still expect the play to be better than we've seen for a lot of time.

Hopefully Maguire lasts to see Georgia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Are there a a ton of injuries or why is McGoldrick starting?

Are there a a ton of injuries or why is McGoldrick starting?

He's been playing fairly well and McCarthy loves him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Media will expect Gibraltar to be routed by 6 or 7 goals.

I don't think they are a 'whipping boy' anymore.

Prediction: Gibraltar 1-4 Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Oat23 wrote: »
    I'm torn. I like Mick but at the same time I want them to crash and burn so everyone finally turns on the FAI.

I hate these comments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

I never understood that logic amongst our fans? I get what your saying but I could never root against us once we’re out on that pitch playing and I think anyone that says they are because of the FAI are bull****ing.

I hate these comments.

I don't agree with him but I can see why someone would be thinking of the bigger picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,935 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Really need a good strong win here but think it will be tougher than expected. Need an early goal to settle us

Swiss beat Georgia has really put pressure on us too get all 6pts today and against Georgia Tuesday night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Like the line-up as a whole. Has Keogh not got a broke wrist though? Should see 4-0 handy enough..

Between the pitch and the wind the conditions sound horrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

sugarman wrote: »
    :confused: Hes probably our most in form striker. 13 goals in Championship for a team top of the league.

Who else would you have?

Give Patrick Hoban a run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Mentioned in the other thread about being wary playing on this plastic pitch.

Would love a hockeying but a 2 goal margin, decent performance and no injuries would be grand heading back to the Aviva on Tuesday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

I don't agree with him but I can see why someone would be thinking of the bigger picture.

There would be absolutely no correlation between losing to losing to Gibraltar and the swindling and shadiness that is CLEARLY going on in Abbotstown

If certain people don't have the imagination to see that I wouldn't imagine they would be any great asset in any revolt against Delaney et al

Nunu wrote: »
    I never understood that logic amongst our fans? I get what your saying but I could never root against us once we’re out on that pitch playing and I think anyone that says they are because of the FAI are bull****ing.

I don't actively root against the team but at the same time I find it extremely hard to support them knowing their success benefits the corrupt leadership in Abbottstown.

There's so much untapped potential in Irish football if we'd just get rid of the cronies in the FAI and had a forward thinking, progressive board running the sport here. Most seem happy ignoring all of that and are satisfied as long as we qualify for a tournament once every decade though which is a shame.

I don't actively root against the team but at the same time I find it extremely hard to support them knowing their success benefits the corrupt leadership in Abbottstown.

There's so much untapped potential in Irish football if we'd just get rid of the cronies in the FAI and had a forward thinking, progressive board running the sport here. Most seem happy ignoring all of that and are satisfied as long as we qualify for a tournament once every decade though which is a shame.

Completely agree with what you have said in bold. Absolutely. I think John Delaney is rotten to the core, I hope the recent news will be the beginning of the end for him.

However, I'd never wish ill on our national side or see them lose today to Gibraltar or anyone on anyday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Media will expect Gibraltar to be routed by 6 or 7 goals.

I don't think they are a 'whipping boy' anymore.

Prediction: Gibraltar 1-4 Ireland.

They’ve a population of 32,000, 600 registered players and are ranked 190th in the world without any pro players or grass pitches. Even the pitch they are using was touch and go with UEFA protocols. They are a whipping boy

• I like the structure of the team. You would never see Doherty playing right wing in the previous regime.

Hopeful we can get a good start and gain some momentum going into the Georgia game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,924 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Edit just saw the full line out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I honestly would have feared for us if MON was still involved. That’s how bad it had got.

But with big mick in the dug out I think we should win and win well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Sadlier and Dunne in the studio are spot on here calling the Mick McCarthy/Stephen Kenny situation out for the farce that it is.

Paully D wrote: »
    Sadlier and Dunne in the studio are spot on here calling the Mick McCarthy/Stephen Kenny situation out for the farce that it is.

I think Sadlier is talking out of his hole as usual.

Completely agree with what you have said in bold. Absolutely. I think John Delaney is rotten to the core, I hope the recent news will be the beginning of the end for him.

However, I'd never wish ill on our national side or see them lose today to Gibraltar or anyone on anyday.

There's something very American about this POV that a lot of Irish fans have. It's like that American thing with supporting the troops and respecting the flag and if you don't you aren't a patriot. Irish fans seem to be afraid to say anything negative about the team because people will think badly of them.

I pour several thousand euro into Irish football every year between my local underage team and Sligo Rovers merchandise, season tickets and draws/lotto/fundraising contributions. If people think I'm a bad fan just because I refuse to blindly support the senior national team then that is fine. I know that's not true. I just want something to change because scraping into a tournament occasionally and getting over-the-top excited about scoring late goals against Italy's reserves doesn't do it for me. We can do better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

I think Sadlier is talking out of his hole as usual.

Sadlier is not a bad pundit his problem is he drags out what he wants to say.

Strange though not seeing any of the usual 3 on it.

How refreshing it is to be tuning into an Ireland game looking forward to it for the first time in ages, and also not to have look at or listen to the dour O’Neill going around the place with a face like a slapped arse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

sugarman wrote: »
    :confused: Hes probably our most in form striker. 13 goals in Championship for a team top of the league.

Who else would you have?

Give Patrick Hoban a run.

He’s not good enough for International Football. Michael Duffy is better than James McClean though

alta stare wrote: »
    Sadlier is not a bad pundit his problem is he drags out what he wants to say.

Strange though not seeing any of the usual 3 on it.

He drags it out because he loves hearing himself talk so much.

It is odd not having any of them on it alright. It's all very BBC bland now.

There's something very American about this POV that a lot of Irish fans have. It's like that American thing with supporting the troops and respecting the flag and if you don't you aren't a patriot. Irish fans seem to be afraid to say anything negative about the team because people will think badly of them.

I pour several thousand euro into Irish football every year between my local underage team and Sligo Rovers merchandise, season tickets and draws/lotto/fundraising contributions. If people think I'm a bad fan just because I refuse to blindly support the senior national team then that is fine. I know that's not true. I just want something to change because scraping into a tournament occasionally and getting over-the-top excited about scoring late goals against Italy's reserves doesn't do it for me. We can do better.

I think we're all entitled to talk negative about the team. I've given out about management, players, tactics, etc. in the hope that we can improve and give us good days in competitions. You don't have to support the national side, no one is forcing you but don't say you want them to crash and burn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

He’s not good enough for International Football. Michael Duffy is better than James McClean though

Jaysus thats bizarre.

Its exciting to watch how we might go about this game. :) COYBIG.

4-0 win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Wind looks like it'd knock a knacker off his sister.

Nice to see the passion Gibraltar have in singing their anthem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

I'm sure we'll manage to hit the runway in the second half

Things were supposed to be different, weren't they? :(

• Advertisement

It’s some setting towards the right hand side goal with the Rock of Gibraltar in the background!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It’s some setting towards the right hand side goal with the Rock of Gibraltar in the background!

And the Easyjet flight to Luton on the left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

I wonder are the Irish team a bit stunned having to play into the big rock? It could be intimidating for them so we might not see a goal for Ireland until the second half.

Any higher than the shin and the ball is blowing all over the place.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

3-0 win for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭crushproof

What a mad location for a stadium. Not everyday you'd see an international football match from seat 23A on an Easyjet flight!

Neeson wrote: »
    I wonder are the Irish team a bit stunned having to play into the big rock? It could be intimidating for them so we might not see a goal for Ireland until the second half.

I doubt Premier League and Championship footballers will be too intimidated by a rock.

I doubt Premier League and Championship footballers will be too intimidated by a rock.

They look intimidated by something anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

crushproof wrote: »
    What a mad location for a stadium. Not everyday you'd see an international football match from seat 23A on an Easyjet flight!

Can see a couple of towels on a sun bed in corner, the Germans must be there also.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Or an Astro pitch...although the commentators seem to think differently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I'm failing to see the Irish game plan yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Maguire is muck!

I'm failing to see the Irish game plan yet.

Neither am I. Shyte conditions though. Wind & pitch playing its part

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

The boys would want to be careful spitting in these conditions. It may fly in the face of the opposition.

I'd say they probably won't go to ground as easy with the rough plastic of the pitch grazing their bodies upon impact.

• Advertisement
Advertisement