Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gibraltar vs Ireland, Euro 2020 qualifier, RTE2 & Sky Sports Football, 5pm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

No skill, awful stuff.We are very lucky to be in the lead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,658 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Maguire doing wonders to validate the ridiculous LOI clamour for his inclusion tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Time to shore it up for the last 20, pull a forward and add in an extra midfielder

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭francie81

Few fellas in this thread too used to playing FIFA and sitting on their arse watching Sky Sports.

There’s a mental wind out there, football is played in real life not on the telly. Doesn’t matter how good you are if the wind is swirling around and you can’t predict where the ball is going to go.

Relax.

So the excuse is against the elements opposed to being frustrated against a bunch of part-timers, seriously???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

It’s mad the way your brain lets you forget just how awful Ireland are to watch. There must be something like a pregnancy hormone that makes you forget what it’s like to suffer through their games, so that you do it time after time.

I like McCarthy and there is the nostalgia factor. But most of these Irish players are frauds. They are stealing a living in England!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,006 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Certainly wouldn't be used to playing windy conditions on an artificial pitch.

This isn't Wednesday night down the astro with the lads

Looking at this game, I think blaming conditions for the levels of non performance is sounding a little too O’Neill esque. It’s the same for both sides. Our play is littered with mistakes, nobody trying to make anything happen, no risk, invention or cohesive teamwork. Aka just shît.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

No skill awful stuff.We are very lucky to be in the lead.

Hardly lucky, Gibraltar haven't done anything of note.

It hasn't been a good performance, but the time to judge will be on Tuesday when we play on a decent pitch and a team that will try and play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

According to Transfermarkt the top team in Gibraltar lincoln Red Imps squad are worth twice as much as Bohs from the LOI

Lincoln Red Imps: €630k

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/lincoln-fc/startseite/verein/38204

Bohs: €315k

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/bohemian-football-club-dublin/startseite/verein/9211/saison_id/2018

When you throw in lads from other teams like West Didsbury & Chorlton AFC, St Joseph's FC in that Gibraltar side perhaps they deserve more respect?

Gibraltar national team:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/gibraltar/startseite/verein/37574

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭Hitchens

will Tony O'Donoghue manage to get Mick wound up in the aftermatch interview? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭GFish

TV director should cut to some scenery shots. Not many of us have been to Gibraltar but we've all seen this stuff before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

It could easily be 1-1 with Ireland looking for the winner with 15 minutes to go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

It's inexplicable how much they're sitting off Gibraltar.

edgecutter wrote: »
    Hardly lucky, Gibraltar haven't done anything of note.

They almost and probably should have scored. They controlled significant parts of this game both with territory and possession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

McGoldrick has been decent.

Rest have been poor.

McLean and Coleman past their best too. Pace is going .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,525 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Walker has probably looked the best player in this, some lovely bits of play.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Strumms wrote: »
    They almost and probably should have scored. They controlled significant parts of this game both with territory and possession.
    They had one chance that was saved. We almost and probably should have scored another two at least. And they have not controlled significant parts of the game. Dunno why you'd come out with that as if no one else is actually watching the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,317 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Looking at this game, I think blaming conditions for the levels of non performance is sounding a little too O’Neill esque. It’s the same for both sides. Our play is littered with mistakes, nobody trying to make anything happen, no risk, invention or cohesive teamwork. Aka just shît.

Same for both sides yet we're been on top the whole game, winning 1-0. Yes it hasn't been pretty but if you're watching you can clearly see its windy as fook on a pitch players wouldn't be used to. These Gibraltar players play on these type of pitches and are used to it.

Andorra hosted Wales a few years ago on a similar pitch and they gave out yards about it ,only managed to win 2-1. Andorra had a few decent results (for them) that is down to conditions rather than the talent on offer.

I'd wait and reserve judgement until Tuesday when on a proper pitch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Wind isn't a valid excuse. Maybe if it was driving rain, hail or snow into their eyes it would, but not on a nice evening like that. Keep the ball on the ground or close to it and wind isn't a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

GFish wrote: »
    TV director should cut to some scenery shots. Not many of us have been to Gibraltar but we've all seen this stuff before.

Reading this morning I saw Gibraltar has the only wild monkey population in Europe. The wind is probably keeping them away mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

CSF wrote: »
    Maguire doing wonders to validate the ridiculous LOI clamour for his inclusion tonight.

Was there a 'clamour' though? Or just for the sake of making a point? Long probably would have started if fit. Maguire has been starting up front for one of the most in form Championship teams in 2019, hardly a shock he might have a chance for starting. No one has had a great game out there in fairness.

• Advertisement

Wind isn't a valid excuse. Maybe if it was driving rain, hail or snow into their eyes it would, but not on a nice evening like that. Keep the ball on the ground or close to it and wind isn't a factor.

Wind is always a factor. Even for possession based teams the ability to switch the play or play a diagonal is huge.

That doesn’t excuse how bad we’ve been with the ball at our feet, but the wind is always a leveled.

They should have closed the roof...

That joke there from mcgoldrick a wind issue too?!

Corholio wrote: »
    Was there a 'clamour' though? Or just for the sake of making a point? Long probably would have started if fit. Maguire has been starting up front for one of the most in form Championship teams in 2019, hardly a shock he might have a chance for starting. No one has had a great game out there in fairness.

Huge clamour from what I have seen. It was Richie Towell before him and inevitably it will be somebody else after him.

Huge clamour from what I have seen. It was Richie Towell before him and inevitably it will be somebody else after him.

Yeah the fellas brought up through your English system have been outstanding though, one and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Irish lads should be well used to the wind most of them have played up and around Liverpool in there time in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Really poor show here.

Good to hear Delaney getting abuse from the Irish fans.

Yeah the fellas brought up through your English system have been outstanding one and all though.

Jokes on you because I’m a fan of a LOI club home and away, I just don’t delude myself into thinking the standard of the league is something other than it is.

Same for both sides yet we're been on top the whole game, winning 1-0.

I'd wait and reserve judgement until Tuesday when on a proper pitch

I’d disagree about being on top the whole game... Gibraltar had a significant period of dominance.

• Advertisement

I’d disagree about being on top the whole game... Gibraltar had a significant period of dominance.

When exactly?

Wind and pitch are undoubtedly factors, but it has not been an encouraging evening at all

Why do you keep saying this? You're wrong. Everyone can see that you are wrong.

That was ages ago before Maguire ever played for Ireland, certainly not before this match. He's a squad player now who may or may not be a decent player at this level. The wanting to cut down anything LOI related and only give very short amounts of time is both sad and frustrating to be honest, and since your LOI anyway it just seems overcompensating for any 'bias'.

They really didn’t bar the first 3 or 4 minutes.

Jokes on you because I’m a fan of a LOI club home and away, I just don’t delude myself into thinking the standard of the league is something other than it is.

You'd probably be aware that Maguire has left the league then. A fair while at this stage.

The rack was that ? Three players making runs into the box, a cross is delayed, then overhit. Yesh, bu bu but the wind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

What the feck are we trying long ball in those conditions?

This performance is a disgrace!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

The anti LOI brigade is sickening in this thread

Gibraltar are actually more competent at passing the ball. It's shocking what putting on that jersey does to our players.

Hourihane again, what a ball

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭GFish

ERG89 wrote: »
    Reading this morning I saw Gibraltar has the only wild monkey population in Europe. The wind is probably keeping them away mind.

That would be interesting to see.
    I just saw a plane taking off in the background - that was interesting.
    Did I miss anything?

Wind and Astroturf don't explain this - it's the same for both sides.
    What is interesting is having a Yorkshire man back in charge win or not they add a bit of colour and a lot of personality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Man Of The Match.Is it April 1?

Biggest positive has been Hourihane's set piece deliveries. We should have had at least two more directly from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,245 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Stevens with a beautiful outside of the boot flick to McCarthy.

Keep it tight now and get those 3 points boys.

Corholio wrote: »
    That was ages ago before Maguire ever played for Ireland, certainly not before this match. He's a squad player now who may or may not be a decent player at this level. The wanting to cut down anything LOI related and only give very short amounts of time is both sad and frustrating to be honest.

It’s from when he was playing in the league that I’m referring to. Probably a controversial opinion but I don’t really think anyone should be a starter while playing in the league. I don’t believe in the magic airplane either but until the level of the squad regresses even a little more, players need to prove themselves at a higher level before going onto international football.

Ideally it wouldn’t be a squad full of championship players either but that is unavoidable given what is available to us.

You'd probably be aware that Maguire has left the league then. A fair while at this stage.

Nah I’d no idea. Thanks for the update.

Biggest positive has been Hourihane's set piece deliveries. We should have had at least two more directly from them.

Been very good with that all season at Villa even if I don't think his general play has been anywhere near as good.

• Advertisement
Advertisement