Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gibraltar vs Ireland, Euro 2020 qualifier, RTE2 & Sky Sports Football, 5pm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Wonder did we make it past 1 on xG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Thought Doherty was the best player myself and didn't get why he was replaced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Only just in,so misses most of the match.

When I saw the score was o my one nil I assumed the Gibraltar 'keeper was MOTM....did Hourihane deserve it more?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,841 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Why do you keep saying this? You're wrong. Everyone can see that you are wrong.

That sort of unintelligent bluster might hold some sway in GAA circles but..., thanks for your contribution never the less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Corholio wrote: »
    Been very good with that all season at Villa even if I don't think his general play has been anywhere near as good.

Yeah, this. Unreal at set pieces but needs to step it up big time with the other aspects of his play to become a more important player at both club and international level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

ScummyMan wrote: »
    Will never understand what Jeff Hendrick brings to the team

Goals😂😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Problem child flag made it in anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Poor game all around, but I'll reserve judgement until Tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Hamilton mentioned it but the real test of this side is not out there but on Tuesday against Georgia.

Should be a marginally better game.

Main thing is 3pts here and get off to a winning start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Strumms wrote: »
    That sort of unintelligent bluster might hold some sway in GAA circles but..., thanks for your contribution never the less.

Still waiting to hear when Gibraltar had a significant period of dominance..?

• Advertisement

Less to do with any supposed clamour than lack of alternatives.

Seems I’ve led to myself being misunderstood here. Im referring to the years gone by where it was week after week of why he wasn’t playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Solid start for Mick. next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Wonder will Mick Mac do a Staunton post San Marino: "What's the problem? We won the game":p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Mcgoldrick muck. Maguire muck!

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Solid start for Mick. next.

Is this a joke

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

OK. You've been asked several times to elaborate but you didn't. You're just lying for the sake of it so knock yourself out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

CSF wrote: »
    Nah I’d no idea. Thanks for the update.

Mustn't be a team that plays Cork City home and away then. No bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

It’s from when he was playing in the league that I’m referring to. Probably a controversial opinion but I don’t really think anyone should be a starter while playing in the league. I don’t believe in the magic airplane either but until the level of the squad regresses even a little more, players need to prove themselves at a higher level before going onto international football.

Ideally it wouldn’t be a squad full of championship players either but that is unavoidable given what is available to us.

Championship is probably a top 8 league in Europe. Maybe we should stop looking down our noses at it

• 3 points job done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Duff wrote: »
    Poor game all around, but I'll reserve judgement until Tuesday.
    Agreed. Not great stuff, but take the three points and move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Whatever about the pitch, I fail to understand how professional players can't adapt to windy conditions. Sure jaysus GAA players face horrendous conditions regularly, particularly this time of year, but yet seem to adjust to the elements quicker than their professional counterparts. And the ball would be airborne a lot more in Gaelic football and hurling.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Hamilton mentioned it but the real test of this side is not out there but on Tuesday against Georgia.

Should be a marginally better game.

Main thing is 3pts here and get off to a winning start.

Exactly, said before the game I'd take a 2 goal win, decent performance and no injuries with the conditions.

Not a great watch, Georgia will be the real test on Tuesday and then we can properly judge IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,938 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Embarrassing match and Irish performance. **** the conditions. Was almost sure Gibraltar were going too equalise late on and it would finish a draw

No way the Swiss, Denmark or Georgia would only win 1-0 against Gibraltar

**** it's so frustrating

Still waiting to hear when Gibraltar had a significant period of dominance..?
    Either side of half time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Performance not great. At least its a win. Alot will tell how things will pan out after Tuesday.

• Advertisement

Whatever about the pitch, I fail to understand how professional players can't adapt to windy conditions. Sure jaysus GAA players face horrendous conditions regularly, particularly this time of year, but yet seem to adjust to the elements quicker than their professional counterparts. And the ball would be airborne a lot more in Gaelic football and hurling.

Less skill in GAA too though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It’s from when he was playing in the league that I’m referring to. Probably a controversial opinion but I don’t really think anyone should be a starter while playing in the league. I don’t believe in the magic airplane either but until the level of the squad regresses even a little more, players need to prove themselves at a higher level before going onto international football.

Ideally it wouldn’t be a squad full of championship players either but that is unavoidable given what is available to us.

Not sure what point you're trying to make. You don't like the fact that LOI fans were clamouring for Maguire to feature because you wanted him to prove himself at a higher level - well he has. He scored a stoppage time winner against Birmingham only last weekend and Preston fans appear to be very happy with him. That is the level we are at now.

Who would you have started up front instead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Should have trained in Pearse Stadium Galway.

We scored in the 49th minute

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭GFish

God, I wish he wouldn't keep saying "Gibralta"

• Advertisement

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Championship is probably a top 8 league in Europe. Maybe we should stop looking down our noses at it

In terms of international standard, I wouldn’t necessarily say that should lead to us looking down our noses at it. Even if we do agree that it is a top 8 league, which I wouldn’t be 100% sure about (wouldn’t necessarily be willing to bury my sword on the other side of that argument either mind)

• Get out now lads, the lads are half cut and ready to moan :P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

You mean when Ireland scored?

Exactly, said before the game I'd take a 2 goal win, decent performance

Would you categorize that as having been a decent performance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,925 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A win is a win is a win.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Embarrassing match and Irish performance. **** the conditions. Was almost sure Gibraltar were going too equalise late on and it would finish a draw

No way the Swiss, Denmark or Georgia would only win 1-0 against Gibraltar

**** it's so frustrating

I bet at least one of those teams will find it hard there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Annabella1

No cutting edge
    Need that lad Bamford from Leeds nice player

If we get enough points the 1 0 score line here won't matter.

We started the WC campaign exceptionally well and sh*t the bed so the next 2 or 3 games will tell a lot.

In reality we've no stars and a lot of average players. Mccarthy or Kenny won't change that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Seems I’ve led to myself being misunderstood here. Im referring to the years gone by where it was week after week of why he wasn’t playing.

You said 'inclusion tonight' . That's what I was replying to.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Georgia are not the worst. We will need to set things up a gear Tuesday.

• Advertisement

Annabella1 wrote: »
    No cutting edge

No thanks.

Would you categorize that as having been a decent performance?

You conveniently left out my whole comment

I said:

"Exactly, said before the game I'd take a 2 goal win, decent performance and no injuries with the conditions.

Not a great watch, Georgia will be the real test on Tuesday and then we can properly judge IMO."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Yeah because playing inaccurate long balls to a target-man is a skill in itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

mzungu wrote: »
    Georgia are not the worst. We will need to set things up a gear Tuesday.

Play like that and Georgia will win.

Not sure what point you're trying to make. You don't like the fact that LOI fans were clamouring for Maguire to feature because you wanted him to prove himself at a higher level - well he has. He scored a stoppage time winner against Birmingham only last weekend and Preston fans appear to be very happy with him. That is the level we are at now.

Who would you have started up front instead?

Would have him about 4th or 5th in our list of strikers if everyone is fit. Everyone wasn’t fit so I certainly wasn’t outraged with the idea of him getting a chance (even if he ended up doing nothing to reward the choice) but that wasn’t really my point to begin with.

Annabella1 wrote: »
    No cutting edge

We need Irish players, win or lose. Let him go **** himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Underwhelming start to the new era it must be said. The conditions can excuse the scoreline to some extent but it's a below-par start. We'll need to be much better against Georgia because they gave the Swiss a game.

Yeah because playing inaccurate long balls to a target-man is a skill in itself.

Team should have tried to play it on the floor more.

Resorting to cross field balls or balls into wind was bog ball standards of sh*te.

Depends on what soccer team you're watching. Tonight wouldn't come out well as a comparison.

• Advertisement

We need Irish players, win or lose. Let him go **** himself.

Why let him go **** himself?

He's switching his allegiance to ROI, won't be avail til the Summer

Advertisement