Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gibraltar vs Ireland, Euro 2020 qualifier, RTE2 & Sky Sports Football, 5pm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Depends on what soccer team you're watching. Tonight wouldn't come out well as a comparison.

True this Irish side is really poor.

Wouldn't get ya out of your seat all game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Tuesday will tell us the real truth about this team. It wasn't a great performance, but it's never going to be when we have played such utter rubbish for a good 2 years now to simply flip the switch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,841 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

You conveniently left out my whole comment

I said:

"Exactly, said before the game I'd take a 2 goal win, decent performance and no injuries with the conditions.

Not a great watch, Georgia will be the real test on Tuesday and then we can properly judge IMO."

I simply asked you a question, not a difficult one at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Why let him go **** himself?

He's switching his allegiance to ROI, won't be avail til the Summer

I thought he said he was focusing on his club football for now i.e praying Leeds make the PL and he gets on Southgate's radar.

1. Posts: 18,962 [Deleted User]

tragic quality and lack of confidence to play football.

2. Advertisement
    3. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Cut out the PC stuff Richard,it was crap.

4. Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Why let him go **** himself?

He's switching his allegiance to ROI, won't be avail til the Summer

He hasn’t decided yet.

5. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,841 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

edgecutter wrote: »
      Tuesday will tell us the real truth about this team. It wasn't a great performance, but it's never going to be when we have played such utter rubbish for a good 2 years now to simply flip the switch.
      Fair point, just when the question is put relative to the quality of opposition.... I just think more needs to be expected from this team in that scenario.

6. Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Dots1982 wrote: »
      He hasn’t decided yet.

And he's conveniently waiting to see if he makes it to the Premier League before deciding. The worst part of it all is that our association is spineless enough that they haven't told him "chance gone, best of luck" yet.

7. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

At least Mick calls a spade and spade and doesn't passive aggressively dance around questions.

8. Advertisement
    9. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Nice to hear honesty from Mick.

10. Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Mick not holding back ha

11. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Strumms wrote: »
      I simply asked you a question, not a difficult one at that.

I wouldn't say it was a decent performance, it was below par but I didn't expect them to come out all guns blazing. I think any team bar a team with superior quality would have struggled on an astro turf pitch with that wind. Randolph had a good save, kept us at a draw at the time.

If someone had of got on the end of Hourihane's balls, McGoldrick scored that chance. Needed a bit of luck but I don't see how we can judge the management and team on that game, Tuesday will be a lot clearer.

Glad we got through the significant period of Gibraltar dominance all the same

12. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

At least mick is being honest.

Not making terrible excuses like MON was with Tony through the years.

13. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Duff wrote: »

I thought he said he was focusing on his club football for now i.e praying Leeds make the PL and he gets on Southgate's radar.

Ahh must have missed that. Thought he was in the process of switching now, etc

1. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,118 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Whats Ritchie dunne doing down in France?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

2. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I'd say Tony O'Donoghue is enjoying the interviews better after years of being bullied by MON.

3. Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Gonad

If Stephen Kenny was manager tonight can imagine the scene lol

4. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

5. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Gonad wrote: »
        If Stephen Kenny was manager tonight can imagine the scene lol

What do you mean exactly?

6. Advertisement
      7. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

poor game but on the positive side its still 3 points...

a better performance needed though if we're to win vs Georgia

8. Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

CSF wrote: »
        What do you mean exactly?

Everyone would be losing their minds instead of the "a win is a win" laid back reaction tonight.

9. Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Or people can just say who they think is playing well and who they think is playing badly. It's a crazy thought I know, so I'll give you a few minutes to digest it.

That has nothing to do with the comment the poster I quoted was making

10. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Everyone would be losing their minds instead of the "a win is a win" laid back reaction tonight.

I don’t agree with the ‘a win is a win’ reaction either but you’d have to argue that McCarthy has earned that bit more patience from his career to date.

11. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

I think its more a case of

i) while we were poor understanding that the weather was difficult to play in tonight and
        ii) as fans we want to get behind the team/new manager and believe that they will improve for the Georgia game

at least that's the case for me.

12. Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

murpho999 wrote: »
        I'd say Tony O'Donoghue is enjoying the interviews better after years of being bullied by MON.

While I agree in the main but O'Donoughue has come up with s^&t question just to look tough and get a reaction

13. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

While I agree in the main but O'Donoughue has come up with s^&t question just to look tough and get a reaction

That's what interviewers are supposed to do.

14. Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

poor game but on the positive side its still 3 points...

a better performance needed though if we're to win vs Georgia

I agree here I was never expecting a 3 or 4 goal win in the first game. I do expect us to get better and more cohesive together

15. Posts: 18,962 [Deleted User]

I agree here I was never expecting a 3 or 4 goal win in the first game. I do expect us to get better and more cohesive together

you'd expect 3 against 194th in the Fifa rankings.

16. Advertisement
      17. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

John Delaney out the door at 9pm. Hope the FAI become fully transparent from now on. And no President for life is appointed again.

18. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

glasso wrote: »
        you'd expect 3 against 194th in the Fifa rankings.

It's like if Ireland had to play the Achill Islands.

19. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

John Delaney out the door at 9pm. Hope the FAI become fully transparent from now on. And no President for life is appointed again.

Unless its followed by an investigation into Delaney expect more of the same with a different member of his gang in charge.

This badly needs to be an external appointment as replacement, but I think it unlikely.

20. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Poor game, but happy with the 3 points, however this was a great opportunity to top the group after this international break (providing we beat Georgia of course, and assuming The Swiss didn’t beat Denmark by a tennis score).

But all in all, 3 points were required, and 3 points were gained. You just feel though the Danish & Swiss will score for fun against Gibraltar, so they will have us for goal difference later down the road.

21. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

He's gone. Out by 8.

22. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Poor game, but happy with the 3 points, however this was a great opportunity to top the group after this international break (providing we beat Georgia of course, and assuming The Swiss didn’t beat Denmark by a tennis score).

But all in all, 3 points were required, and 3 points were gained. You just feel though the Danish & Swiss will score for fun against Gibraltar, so they will have us for goal difference later down the road.

We will not qualify on goal difference. I almost 100% guarantee that. I wouldn’t completely rule out the possibility of Gibraltar taking a point somewhere based on that showing.

23. Advertisement
      24. Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

He's gone. Out by 8.

Not gone, new job.

https://www.rte.ie/amp/1038195/

25. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

the more things change the more they stay the same!

Moving to a new role internally seems like a bad joke to me. If hes done something wrong he should be gone completely. If he's done nothing wrong he should be left in his role.

26. Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

the more things change the more they stay the same!

Moving to a new role internally seems like a bad joke to me. If hes done something wrong he should be gone completely. If he's done nothing wrong he should be left in his role.

And it'll be conveniently buried now and not a thing will be looked into.

27. Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

What has that got to do with todays game and performance ?

28. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

So did people agree with MOTM choice tonight?

I'd be tempted to give it to Darren purely for that save at the start of the second half because had we gone 1-0 down there I'm not convinced we'd have been able to score two to win.

29. Advertisement
      30. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Not much to take from that game. Who are the crrative players who are going to make and score our goals?

I know the panel have to be critical but I don’t believe that we have a realistic expectation based on the pool of players at our disposal. We are at best a third seed nation and prob no closer to 2nd then we are to 4th seeds.

MON , despite being horrible to watch, did remarkably well with a similarly poor bunch. I don’t mind us trying a more attacking approach and even using this tournament as a building block for future teams (with our underage teams doing well) but I don’t think qualification should be an expected target.

People may quote Iceland or Northern Ireland but I wonder if their countries put more pressure on their national teams when they were trying to build themselves up? We need to give Mick and Kenny a decent shot to start from the ground up, the depression in the studio makes me believe people were expecting instant change/improvement. Better Irish teams have done as bad or worse. Maybe media/pundits lower expectations and just be a bit more positive towards our national team it might help them get confidence they won’t get from us whinging.

31. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Poor performance and the result papers over the cracks (e.g. hoofing it in windy conditions...)

Good job Randolph was clued in early the second half......that said it could have easily been 3 nil if some of those lovely crosses had got a nick in....

32. Posts: 18,962 [Deleted User]

It's like if Ireland had to play the Achill Islands.

well actually it would be like if Ireland had to play Leitrim (lowest county population in Ireland).

numbers are very similar. 34,000 vs 32,000

33. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

McCarthy's comments very honest after the match. Regardless of how he does you'll at least get that with him, which in itself is already a difference.

34. Posts: 18,962 [Deleted User]

Corholio wrote: »
        McCarthy's comments very honest after the match. Regardless of how he does you'll at least get that with him, which in itself is already a difference.

yes he'd never be anywhere near as defensively aggressive as MON but Tony O'Donoghue will get to him sometime no doubt.

35. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,940 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I was right when I said a close game and some were criticising me here. Gibraltar should have had 2 goals in that game.

We have to accept that we don't have the quality of players we need. No amount of miracles from McCarthy can change that.

Again we are shown to be a toothless attacking side with little to offer.

Not looking forward to us facing the better sides in the group. Where is the improvement going to come from?

36. Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Wouldn't judge too hardly on that. Tuesday will give the real indicator as to where we're at. Conditions were atrocious today.

37. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,046 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Would agree.
        Players who aren't used to playing on plastic pitches can always look worse than they are.

Plus the wind didn't help.
        I would be hoping for a completely different level of display on Tuesday night.

38. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

As poor a performance as any under O'Neill/Trap etc,to only score once against these crowd us pitiful,I'd say Dundalk would put 3 past them. Onto Georgia,who will probably have 60% of the ball,pass us off the pitch,definitely score(imo), can we score twice?,I'd be surprised

39. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,046 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

As poor a performance as any under O'Neill/Trap etc,to only score once against these crowd us pitiful,I'd say Dundalk would put 3 past them. Onto Georgia,who will probably have 60% of the ball,pass us off the pitch,definitely score(imo), can we score twice?,I'd be surprised

Funny enough, as I was watching us labour today, I honestly thought to myself that Derry would have created more against them.

I would bet on Dundalk taking them easily enough.

Kinda shows you how far we have dropped in terms of player.

40. Advertisement
      Advertisement