Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gibraltar vs Ireland, Euro 2020 qualifier, RTE2 & Sky Sports Football, 5pm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

As poor a performance as any under O'Neill/Trap etc,to only score once against these crowd us pitiful,I'd say Dundalk would put 3 past them. Onto Georgia,who will probably have 60% of the ball,pass us off the pitch,definitely score(imo), can we score twice?,I'd be surprised

I hope you’re not giving the team talk on Tuesday.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Biggest issue for me tonight is that McGoldrick or Maguire didn't score. Wanted them going into Georgia game with a bit of confidence. I would expect a 4-5-1 on Tues with Arter in for Maguire.
    Positives for me were McGoldrick and Hourihane. Negative was Doherty. Midfield didn't work so what do you do? Drop Coleman?

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

Bamford is going to walk onto this team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

I hope he doesnt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

DeanAustin wrote:
    I hope you’re not giving the team talk on Tuesday.
    Sometimes the truth is painful:(

Only if Leeds aren't promoted or England don't want him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭daheff

Seemed to me that we didn’t have any kind of plan on how we wanted to play.

We should have passed these guys off the pitch...have them chase shadows for a half and then go at them like mad 2nd half....overwhelm them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

As someone who watches a lot of the underage Irish teams, I have been saying for the last few years that there is a serious lack of attacking talent coming through the ranks. Tonight the chickens came home to roost. I expect Mick to take an absolute hammering during this qualification, but the reality is that this is without doubt one of the weakest Irish teams I have seen in 40 years. This qualification campaign will go nowhere, the next one as well probably. The only hope is that we reform the institutions of Irish football from top to bottom and look to the future. The League of Ireland and Delaney both need to go. Both are failing Irish football miserably and the sooner we get reform, the better for Irish football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

I take the criticism on display, here, but at the same time it's tough to draw much conclusion after Mick's first competitive game in charge of the team. The weaknesses to be addressed are much better shown in a game v. Gibraltar where they have the least chance of being exploited, although that nearly wasn't the case tonight. If the team doesn't pick it up for the next game at home v. Georgia, then alarm bells can start ringing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,939 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I'd say it's highly probable alarm bells will be ringing after the Georgia game. Hopefully not but...

It's not only the lack of talent but this bizarre psychological aversion to holding on to the ball.

Richard Dunne said before the problem went deeper than talent - that for some reason the team has always been "afraid" to knock the ball around even when given the green light to do so.

Hopefully with Georgia being a sterner test we might get more clarity on where the team actually is now. Of course it's hard to judge against Gib.

Still, 1 - 0 is not a good result against the second worst rank team in Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Drumpot wrote: »
    Not much to take from that game. Who are the crrative players who are going to make and score our goals?

I know the panel have to be critical but I don’t believe that we have a realistic expectation based on the pool of players at our disposal. We are at best a third seed nation and prob no closer to 2nd then we are to 4th seeds.

MON , despite being horrible to watch, did remarkably well with a similarly poor bunch. I don’t mind us trying a more attacking approach and even using this tournament as a building block for future teams (with our underage teams doing well) but I don’t think qualification should be an expected target.

People may quote Iceland or Northern Ireland but I wonder if their countries put more pressure on their national teams when they were trying to build themselves up? We need to give Mick and Kenny a decent shot to start from the ground up, the depression in the studio makes me believe people were expecting instant change/improvement. Better Irish teams have done as bad or worse. Maybe media/pundits lower expectations and just be a bit more positive towards our national team it might help them get confidence they won’t get from us whinging.

Drumpot, you're tunneling again ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

As said, there is a huge lack of confidence in the players to hold onto the ball. But when you see so many hospital passes, some players revert to safety first and I can understand why.

Seems to be a lack of mobility in central midfield, they need to be getting close to play and demanding the ball under pressure but they dont. This is an issue that has dogged several campaigns at this stage but hopefully Mick can undo the damage done by MON and Trap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Dempsey wrote: »
    As said, there is a huge lack of confidence in the players to hold onto the ball. But when you see so many hospital passes, some players revert to safety first and I can understand why.

Seems to be a lack of mobility in central midfield, they need to be getting close to play and demanding the ball under pressure but they dont. This is an issue that has dogged several campaigns at this stage but hopefully Mick can undo the damage done by MON and Trap

Can you not see the pattern here?
    Trapattoni was brought in to undo the damage caused by Staunton (who was touted as a breath of fresh air).
    O'Neill was brought in to undo the damage caused by Trapattoni (who was touted as a world class manager)
    McCarthy was brought in to undo the damage caused by O'Neill (who was touted as another world class manager).

Ireland have not had a decent squad of players to chose from since Brian Kerr.
    But of course Kerr was shafted by the media and a section of the fans. And he has not been with the FAI in any capacity since despite having a wealth of football knowledge from LOI to international football.
    In McCarthy's first stint the same thing happened. Great team but this time shafted, but this time because of the carry on of an egotistical player.

Changing managers is not going to make a damn bit of difference the players are not there.
    When the players were there the manager in charge was shafted - be careful what you wish for etc.
    The only real difference to Irish soccer would be a strong domestic league. Instead of Irish people saying 'we' for foreign clubs when there is football at thier door-step, they should support the thing.
    Irish soccer fans have to be the ones who change thier mindset it starts with them and everything else will follow.
    I blame the Irish soccer 'sky sports or nothing' culture as the main issue which is why Ireland will no longer develop players by hoping for the best and shipping them off to the ultra-competitive UK.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I'd say it's highly probable alarm bells will be ringing after the Georgia game. Hopefully not but...

It's not only the lack of talent but this bizarre psychological aversion to holding on to the ball.

Richard Dunne said before the problem went deeper than talent - that for some reason the team has always been "afraid" to knock the ball around even when given the green light to do so.

I've been watching Ireland for nearly 3 decades at this point and I can say that possession of the ball has always been a problem. Holding onto a lead has always been a problem, too. Irish players have always looked clumsy and awkward in comparison to their continental neighbours.

If the style of play is a function of the culture of a nation, it's not that hard to see why Irish players play the way they do. If that is to change, turn off the drizzling rain, the Guinness taps, and maybe tell Big Tommo to consider GAA or Rugby instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Dempsey wrote: »

Probably why they brought back Whelan.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Probably why they brought back Whelan.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

Irish soccer fans have to be the ones who change their mindset it starts with them and everything else will follow.

I completely disagree on this point.

It's the FAI that need to drive this change from a grass roots level up. Doing things right from the ground up is how you get fans to change their mind set.

I completely disagree on this point.

It's the FAI that need to drive this change from a grass roots level up. Doing things right from the ground up is how you get fans to change their mind set.
    Come on those friendlies that Liverpool etc play pre-season where it is packed to the rafters for fellas not even breaking a sweat.
    Irish soccer fans have no shame and no sense of irony.
    Irish soccer fans were NOT supporting the LOI in any decent numbers long before Delaney turned up.
    It is an excuse to blame that man even though he is a not very likable individual. Irish soccer 'fans' have been saying 'we' when referring to foreign clubs since the 60s .And just putting money into airlines and other leagues. While thier own withered from a peak of great attendances. Sad stuff when you think about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Come on those friendlies that Liverpool etc play pre-season where it is packed to the rafters for fellas not even breaking a sweat.
    Irish soccer fans have no shame and no sense of irony.

.. and cheer on Liverpool and Man City while saying "I wouldnt watch that sh1te" when asked why they don't support their own league, then wonder why there is a lack of new Irish talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Apart from the obvious lack of talent..

It was a huge number of new players. The wind, pitch, first game etc.

I think it will be better on Tuesday but so will Georgia. On a knive edge

Irish soccer 'fans' have been saying 'we' when talking of foreign foreign clubs and just putting money into airlines and other leagues since the 60s. Sad stuff when you think about it.

It's something I've never understood. We go on a bit about plastic Paddies in this country, but there's a good few plastic Mancs and Liverpudlians knocking around in Ireland, too.

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    .. and cheer on Liverpool and Man City while saying "I wouldnt watch that sh1te" when asked why they don't support their own league, then wonder why there is a lack of new Irish talent.

Exactly if a person was a true football/soccer supporter they would enjoy watching any game of football between teams of the same standard.
    Much cheaper prices as well. yet they are willing to save up and travel on a plane once a month instead!
    Madness.
    The UK does not give a f**k about producing Irish talent.
    And Ireland has resorted to trying to coax the likes of Grealish/Rice in when in reality it was just a career move for them.
    Rice must have watched that Gibraltar game and laughed.

briany wrote: »
    It's something I've never understood. We go on a bit about plastic Paddies in this country, but there's a good few plastic Mancs and Liverpudlians knocking around in Ireland, too.

Not only that they put on the accents when singing the songs!
    In reality they started supporting xyz British team because they were doing well when they were 10.
    Years ago Irish talent had some chance in the UK at least but now it is a worldwide league.
    Even the English like Sancho have copped on they will get a better chance elsewhere.
    Meanwhile in Ireland there is a league crying out for players....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Sure most of the people in ireland dont or are not able to go to games. Does that make them plastic. I wouldnt think so.

Theres a very few who a dire hard loi fans and hats off to them, but judge mancs or liverpudlians or anyone who follows teams in england when most of the crop of ireland internationals have made their way through england and turned out to be great players from tactics, growth and instinct they learned while out abroad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

but at the same time it's tough to draw much conclusion after Mick's first competitive game in charge of the team. .

He had the biggest gimme of a first game anyone could ask for.

Typical irish mentality, first game, he's ****e cause he only won 1-0 against a ****e team.

So in any of the teams ye lads follow in the premiere league do you say the same thing after the first competitive game of a new manager.

That **** is plastic

AidoEirE wrote: »
    Sure most of the people in ireland dont or are not able to go to games. Does that make them plastic. I wouldnt think so.

Theres a very few who a dire hard loi fans and hats off to them, but judge mancs or liverpudlians or anyone who follows teams in england when most of the crop of ireland internationals have made their way through england and turned out to be great players from tactics, growth and instinct they learned while out abroad

Yeah but if the Irish domestic league was followed a bit better things would develop from there.
    The days of Irish fellas getting a chance in the UK are getting smaller by the year.
    Much better to develop lads in Ireland till 21 get a decent transfer fee at least.
    Plus the playing will have had competitive playing time.

Typical irish mentality, first game, he's ****e cause he only won 1-0 against a ****e team.

So in any of the teams ye lads follow in the premiere league do you say the same thing after the first competitive game of a new manager.

That **** is plastic

He literally should have been able to play himself at centre half and still won that comfortably.

He literally should have been able to play himself at centre half and still won that comfortably.

I mean, what do people expect. He won his first game in his first comp game. He wont know the players till a match like this when matters.
    League managers do this every week.

Wer'e ireland, do people expect a 2/3 nil win?
    We dont have the quality players we used to have and those players in that time played at an elite level.
    Times are changing player wise and imo so does the mindset of the quality that this team can achieve

Not only that they put on the accents when singing the songs!
    In reality they started supporting xyz British team because they were doing well when they were 10.
    Years ago Irish talent had some chance in the UK at least but now it is a worldwide league.
    Even the English like Sancho have copped on they will get a better chance elsewhere.
    Meanwhile in Ireland there is a league crying out for players....

Maybe if all the half-decent young Irish players simultaneously decided to go LoI instead of trying their luck in England, the LoI's standard would rise, but of course that's never going to happen. The individual player who decides to stay in Ireland would be seen as p*ssing his career up a wall. It's a catch-22 situation of you can't attract players without a high standard and high pay, but you can't have a high pay and standard without the players. It's a question of breaking that cycle.

They have won just 4 international games.
    Against Malta, Liechtenstein, Latvia all at home. and Armenia away.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibraltar_national_football_team#Notable_results

• Advertisement

Against Gibraltar? At the very least
    We dont have the quality players we used to have and those players in that time played at an elite level.

Its ****ing Gibraltar. They have a population less than half the size of Tallaght ffs.

A team made up solely of people from Bray statistically should be able to give them a run for their money.

EDIt. Just cos I like numbers, Gibraltar has 8157 men aged between 15 and 54.

Maybe if all the half-decent young Irish players simultaneously decided to go LoI instead of trying their luck in England, the LoI's standard would rise, but of course that's never going to happen. The individual player who decides to stay in Ireland would be seen as p*ssing his career up a wall. It's a catch-22 situation of you can't attract players without a high standard and high pay, but you can't have a high pay and standard without the players. It's a question of breaking that cycle.

That is why I believe it is up the Irish football public to 'break the cycle'.
    Go to the games and it would build from there if they were serious about it.
    It is not as bad as that sh*te that was played in Gibraltar anyway!

Its ****ing Gibraltar. They have a population less than half the size of Tallaght ffs.

A team made up solely of people from Bray statistically should be able to give them a run for their money.

Hold up we won the game did we not, micks first game in charge.
    Your looking for a england win of last night when we dont have the quality of players which we've known for years. Mick brought in lads to the first 11 to try and change it up imstead of our usual 11 sturgid ****e.

Stop throwing your toys outta the pram and looking for something instinct

As far as i know, we are ranked 31 seeing as you like numbers.
    You know how we got there. Wasnt robbie keane, roy, duff, fkin shay given. It was because we played the old boring ****e people like you gave out about.

First match of his and the boys campaign.
    You ask for new blood to be let into the team then when they dont win 2/3 goals you give out. Will you have a look at yourself

As far as i know, we are ranked 31 seeing as you like numbers.
    You know how we got there. Wasnt robbie keane, roy, duff, fkin shay given. It was because we played the old boring ****e people like you gave out about.

First match of his and the boys campaign.
    You ask for new blood to be let into the team then when they dont win 2/3 goals you give out. Will you have a look at yourself

Seriously. Its Gibraltar.

Seriously. Its Gibraltar.

Well done man, well done

Good response to your ****e to be fair

Well done man, well done

Good response to your ****e to be fair

Well Statistics didnt seem to do much for you.

Do you reckon if you went to bray, rounded up everyone that could play football and picked 11 of them, they should be able to give our national team a decent run for their money in a competitive game and that would be an acceptable level?

Well Statistics didnt seem to do much for you.

Do you reckon if you went to bray, rounded up everyone that could play football and picked 11 of them, they should be able to give our national team a decent run for their money in a competitive game and that would be an acceptable level?

What are you even talking about man?

What are you even talking about man?

Do you read any of the posts you reply to?

Gibraltar has more or less the same population as Bray. Thats Bray , Co Wicklow, not a country called Bray with a couple of million people in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

There aren't too many opponents Ireland will play where fans will be very critical of the manner of an away win, but Gibraltar are definitely one of them.

Even allowing for the wind and the pitch and the fact that it was McCarthy's first game, it was still woeful putrid stuff.

Yes.

You make it sound like we are losing the fun of ourselves for thinking that Ireland should be able to score more than one goal against one of the worst international football teams in the world.

Do you read any of the posts you reply to?

Gibraltar has more or less the same population as Bray. Thats Bray , Co Wicklow, not a country called Bray with a couple of million people in it.

I do as a fact and what has that got to do with any of the quality of footballers that play there.

Listen,
    People got sick of MON, Mick was brought in, his first game which he won, is still trying to figure out his first 11, mentality and tactical wise. Wasnt a great 2/3 - 0 beating like you were hoping for, but to post bull**** and criticise because we only win 1-0, while new players are being brought in is ****ing daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭vetinari

That game was pretty woeful. Hopefully there's a big improvement for the Georgia game.
    Itt's perfectly reasonable to expect Ireland to win comfortably against Gibraltar.
    They're among the bottom 3 teams in Europe!

osarusan wrote: »
    There aren't too many opponents Ireland will play where fans will be very critical of the manner of an away win, but Gibraltar are definitely one of them.

Even allowing for the wind and the pitch and the fact that it was McCarthy's first game, it was still woeful putrid stuff.

Yes.

You make it sound like we are losing the fun of ourselves for thinking that Ireland should be able to score more than one goal against one of the worst international football teams in the world.

And when have the ireland team of MON and Trap won a game by 2/3?

Your expecting instant results in a brand new setup.

I do as a fact and what has that got to do with any of the quality of footballers that play there.

What has the fact that the country has a population of 33,000 got to do with the quality of the footballers? Really?

So you reckon Gibraltar, with a total male population in the eligible range to play , roughly 16 - 36 , of about 4,000 men, have the same shot at putting a world class team together as , say, Germany? Sure what has Germanys population of 83,000,000 got to do with the quality of their footballers.

What has the fact that the country has a population of 33,000 got to do with the quality of the footballers? Really?

So you reckon Gibraltar, with a total male population in the eligible range to play , roughly 16 - 36 , of about 4,000 men, have the same shot at putting a world class team together as , say, Germany? Sure what has Germanys population of 83,000,000 got to do with the quality of their footballers.

Mate im done, the goal post movement of your posting style is crazy how you leap frog one topic to another without addressing the orginal post.

• Advertisement

If only we had a couple of comparable games from Martin O'Neills time in charge of Ireland to use as examples..............

Republic of Ireland 7–0 Gibraltar

Gibraltar 0–4 Republic of Ireland

Mate im done, the goal post movement of your posting style is crazy how you leap frog one topic to another without addressing the orginal post.

What goal posts have moved. How about a post with a bit of substance?

If only we had a couple of comparable games from Martin O'Neills time in charge of Ireland to use as examples..............

Republic of Ireland 7–0 Gibraltar

Gibraltar 0–4 Republic of Ireland

Jaysus he did well there in the 7-0 with our all time top scorer getting a hatrick.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Your expecting instant results in a brand new setup.
    in our last 3 qualifying groups, the lowest ranked teams were Moldova, Gibraltar, and the Faroes, and we won away 3-1, 4-0, and 4-1 respectively.

I really don't know what point you are trying to make.

Jaysus he did well there in the 7-0 with our all time top scorer getting a hatrick.....

And I'm the one moving the goalposts?

3 from 7 is still 4 btw. If you're struggling with maths, thats still higher than 2 or 3.

• Advertisement
Advertisement