Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gibraltar vs Ireland, Euro 2020 qualifier, RTE2 & Sky Sports Football, 5pm

12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

osarusan wrote: »
    in our last 3 qualifying groups, the lowest ranked teams were Moldova, Gibraltar, and the Faroes, and we won away 3-1, 4-0, and 4-1 respectively.

I really don't know what point you are trying to make.

My point was probably a page a bit a ago to be fair, of quality of players we have and what to expect going forward with a new manager and team.
    Not stats that from before.

I just find it strange, trap, mon were here, ye couldnt wait to get rid and would hang the team out because its the same usual ****e

Mick comes in, trying to bleed in new players, his first competitive game, wins it and yet its still not good enough. I never said it was a great win, it was boring as hell but new players new ideas, its not going to be all instant. Thats my point

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

That was f*cking embarrassing stuff. 1-0 against that shower of ****e. Not having the new manager excuse, or the wind, or the pitch. Same for both teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

At the end of the day, it’s about putting the ball in the net and we are not very good at that recently plus we are the third seeds in the group with one of the most dangerous fourth seeds in the competition.

Finishing third is par for the course for this team unfortunately and that with the hope of challenging the top two has to be the expectation for this campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

Anyone know if this is going up on the RTÉ player - didn't see it and amazingly I don't know the result yet....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

We had 3 prem lge players in our starting 11 and 2 of them were defenders. We got the win thats all that matters. We will struggle in this group, Irish football is in disarray but at least Mick will get the best out of these players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

That was f*cking embarrassing stuff. 1-0 against that shower of ****e. Not having the new manager excuse, or the wind, or the pitch. Same for both teams.

Scotland being beaten 3-0 by Kazakhstan is what is embarrassing.

If we dont put in a good display and win by a couple of goals on Tuesday then i will agree with peoples notions that we are in trouble. At this moment im going to keep the faith that a number of factors caused such a narrow win.

Wind,
    New manager,
    New system,
    Years of negative tactics,
    Games like this happen.

I know maybe i am looking for excuses and yes you can call me delusional or whatever you like but fu(k it im trying to be optimistic. All this negative doom and gloom is tiring. 5 mins into the game yesterday and all the idiots were clearly ready to start having their hissy fits. Its pathetic.

Lets see how Tuesday goes as that is the real test of how this campaign is going to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Trend to agree with the above. There was so many basic errors yesterday and worse still we seemed to be beaten physically. A PL midfielder shouldn't be overpowered by a Blackburn Youth player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The FAI now seem quite clever with that sign next two managers stunt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Btw "new manager"? Normally a new manager is seen as getting a positive bounce and a few good results where things have been goi g crap. The re was plenty of reports from players about how the dressing room would be instantly better once mick walked in. Now when the team underprefoms its partially a new manager problem.

There shouldnt have needed to be anything done beyond picking 11 professional players from the list and saying "go out and give Gibraltar a hiding and we can focus on Tuesday "

The fact that people are having to make excuses for the game is fairly pathetic.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    We had 3 prem lge players in our starting 11 and 2 of them were defenders. .

How many did Gibraltar have?

• Advertisement

As poor a performance as any under O'Neill/Trap etc,to only score once against these crowd us pitiful,I'd say Dundalk would put 3 past them. Onto Georgia,who will probably have 60% of the ball,pass us off the pitch,definitely score(imo), can we score twice?,I'd be surprised

Course Dundalk would score 3. They also play on a plastic pitch.

Personally think they can reduce games to Mickey Mouse stuff and give a significant advantage, but at least Dundalk's seems to be modern enough. Before the game yesterday Newstalk were saying Walters said that surface failed the "bounce" test.

Course Dundalk would score 3. They also play on a plastic pitch.

Personally think they can reduce games to Mickey Mouse stuff and give a significant advantage, but at least Dundalk's seems to be modern enough. Before the game yesterday Newstalk were saying Walters said that surface failed the "bounce" test.

Armenia managed to go theee in November and score 6 .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Hendrick scored a goal he never would have under MON. Running from deep, midfielders getting in the box. Actively targeting and overloading on the outside, trying to get crosses in the box.

This is basic stuff, but in a few training sessions, you can see some sort of plan formulating. Jeff's goal shows you players are getting individual instructions on their game.

It's one game. Between the pitch, weather, only a few training sessions and players coming from years of unplanned, off the cuff Irish management, I think we should cut them slack.

Tuesday will reveal considerably more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

But they also beat Armenia away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

And Gibraltar beat them in Armenia. They’re not a San Marino.

I’m definitely willing to write this one off as 3 points won & move on given all the circumstances.

And I have to laugh at the ‘wind is the same for both teams’ comments.
    That’s exactly the point, a gale force like that is a leveller. There’s nothing worse to play in.

Anyway, I’ll be judging the team after Tuesdays home game.

Nunu wrote: »
    And Gibraltar beat them in Armenia. They’re not a San Marino.

I’m definitely willing to write this one off as 3 points won & move on given all the circumstances.

And I have to laugh at the ‘wind is the same for both teams’ comments.
    That’s exactly the point, a gale force like that is a leveller. There’s nothing worse to play in.

Anyway, I’ll be judging the team after Tuesdays home game.
    I doubt wind would make Barcelona struggle to beat Bray Wanderers tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

pjohnson wrote: »
    I doubt wind would make Barcelona struggle to beat Bray Wanderers tbh.

Camparing this Irish team to Barcelona is like comparing Susan Boyle to Holly Willobooby.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Gonad

Not a great performance . One thing I didn’t like to see was once or twice our midfielders moved into positions so they didn’t have to receive the ball to feet and then pointed at the defenders to kick it long . Against Gibraltar ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

alta stare wrote: »
    Scotland being beaten 3-0 by Kazakhstan is what is embarrassing.

If we dont put in a good display and win by a couple of goals on Tuesday then i will agree with peoples notions that we are in trouble. At this moment im going to keep the faith that a number of factors caused such a narrow win.

Wind,
    New manager,
    New system,
    Years of negative tactics,
    Games like this happen.

I know maybe i am looking for excuses and yes you can call me delusional or whatever you like but fu(k it im trying to be optimistic. All this negative doom and gloom is tiring. 5 mins into the game yesterday and all the idiots were clearly ready to start having their hissy fits. Its pathetic.

Lets see how Tuesday goes as that is the real test of how this campaign is going to go.

Tuesday? I'm from Gibraltar, mate!

• Advertisement

Tuesday? I'm from Gibraltar, mate!

Fair play. Brock from Gibralter. Well done. Why are you giving out about the Irish team.....mate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The scoreline does not bother me as much as fact that we simply did not create enough chances to at least feel we are going in right direction.

Huge 3 points needed on Tuesday

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Camparing this Irish team to Barcelona is like comparing Susan Boyle to Holly Willobooby.

Obviously but just showing how wind isnt that much of a leveler.

But they also beat Armenia away.

That doesn't help the arguement that it wasnt a **** result. That just means that another team at their level are capable of hammering them and losing to them.

We shouldnt be struggling against Armenia if we played them either.

Or are we trying to say that Armenia and Gibraltar are our level now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Have to say I'm also willing to just take this and get out of there alive.

I completely see what Walters meant about the brexit bounce test tbh.

I'm not saying the Swiss or Danes will struggle there but it won't be the walk in the park you'd normally expect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Hendrick scored a goal he never would have under MON. Running from deep, midfielders getting in the box. Actively targeting and overloading on the outside, trying to get crosses in the box.

This is basic stuff, but in a few training sessions, you can see some sort of plan formulating. Jeff's goal shows you players are getting individual instructions on their game.

It's one game. Between the pitch, weather, only a few training sessions and players coming from years of unplanned, off the cuff Irish management, I think we should cut them slack.

Tuesday will reveal considerably more.

I agree with a lot of what you said here but players play the majority of their football at their clubs with quite limited exposure to the international team. I would of thought trying to change from club to country tactics would be much more difficult then vice versa.

Asides from that I think we have to temper our expectations and give the team time...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

So:

- either Trapp / O’Neil / McCarthy are all equally terrible
    - or the players are limited and the playing pool is declining year on year since the mid 2000’s

It’s incredibly obvious to me which of these is correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭ollkiller

In conditions like that you take 3 points all day long. Our football was crap enough most of the time but at least they tried to play football. It's wasn't the long ball hoof crap we're used to seeing. Roll on the Georgia game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

ollkiller wrote: »
    In conditions like that you take 3 points all day long. Our football was crap enough most of the time but at least they tried to play football. It's wasn't the long ball hoof crap we're used to seeing. Roll on the Georgia game.

It wasn't?

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    So:

- or the players are limited and the playing pool is declining year on year since the mid 2000’s

Or...we don't jump to any sweeping conclusions about the merits of any of them on the basis of one match, much less one match on a plastic pitch in a gale.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

ollkiller wrote: »

Ah stop. They’re a pub side, we should be whacking them, no excuses.

But I wouldn’t go condemning anyone or writing us off yet. Give Mick a chance ffs. The biggest concern for me was our inability to unlock their defense or create much. Seemed we were relying on a lucky bounce or a mistake. I’m hoping the pitch and conditions played a part in that. If not, we’re in trouble against better teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

So:

Which, to me, is the real reason McCarthy has the role for a few years before Kenny.

By which time the promising youth players from u21, u19s etc hopefully have a chance at being viable first team options.

It's a fairly thankless job at the moment, but I don't think its necessarily bleak or anything. Plan in place and players on the way through. First time in years Ireland can perhaps say that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

On one hand I'm thinking it was a poor, narrow astroturf pitch and a match played in bad wind conditions. Micks first game in charge, missing a few players through injury, a win is a win etc. On the other hand it was a really poor performance and result and it didn't look like we had much of a plan for breaking them down and we were relying on a set piece or to capitalize on a mistake.

There were very few positives to take out of the performance, maybe Hourihane and McGoldrick, but we didn't learn a hell of a lot about any new players or none of our experienced players particularly stood up to the plate. What happens when these players put on the Irish jersey? I don't watch all of them for their club sides regularly but they can't be that bad for their club teams, surely they would not be playing at that level if that is how they played for their clubs.

Not the most encouraging of starts to Micks reign but I will reserve judgement until Tuesday night when seeing them in the flesh. Hopefully it will be a better game, but it would not surprise me in the slightest if Georgia are the ones who have most of the possession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

They need to get a player in central midfield demanding the ball. Someone who could pick a pass others couldn’t. Hoolihan’s relegation to bit part player is an even bigger disgrace in hindsight. Duffy fancies himself far more in the air than he should, you’d swear he thinks he has Ronaldo like headers. Randolph is a very good keeper. Hourihane looked good. McLean just gives away too many idiotic fouls. Gibraltar won’t punish us, other teams will !

In terms of the above post for players playing poorly for Ireland and better for club could be. Playing with better players for club. The club is paying their salary and they are used to playing with the same players every week...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

On one hand I'm thinking it was a poor, narrow astroturf pitch and a match played in bad wind conditions. Micks first game in charge, missing a few players through injury, a win is a win etc. On the other hand it was a really poor performance and result and it didn't look like we had much of a plan for breaking them down and we were relying on a set piece or to capitalize on a mistake.

There were very few positives to take out of the performance, maybe Hourihane and McGoldrick, but we didn't learn a hell of a lot about any new players or none of our experienced players particularly stood up to the plate. What happens when these players put on the Irish jersey? I don't watch all of them for their club sides regularly but they can't be that bad for their club teams, surely they would not be playing at that level if that is how they played for their clubs.

Not the most encouraging of starts to Micks reign but I will reserve judgement until Tuesday night when seeing them in the flesh. Hopefully it will be a better game, but it would not surprise me in the slightest if Georgia are the ones who have most of the possession.

that could very well happen, i remember we played Armenia a few years ago in the Aviva, they had a lot of the ball and were far more technical on the ball than us, we still got the win as far as i remember.

we often play team ranked 50 to 100 places behind us in the rankings who are far better in possession than us. we are clumsy on the ball and panic when tackled by opposition players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Just watching highlights of Georgia Switzerland. Georgia could have been two nil up if they could finish. One bad miss in particular ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Or...we don't jump to any sweeping conclusions about the merits of any of them on the basis of one match, much less one match on a plastic pitch in a gale.

We know Mick McCarthy, I have reached my conclusion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

AidoEirE wrote: »
    Jaysus he did well there in the 7-0 with our all time top scorer getting a hatrick.....

LOL. You ask when a Trap or O’Neill team won by 2 or 3. You didn’t say there were terms and conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

He had the biggest gimme of a first game anyone could ask for.

Every Irish manager has disappointing results. They seem like a bigger deal if they happen at the beginning of their tenure because it's all you have to go by. More data needed to draw proper conclusions.

You can't win with the press and fans on a Gibraltar game. If you breeze it, it's only Gibraltar. If you don't breeze it (rather, gale it), they say, "FFS, it's Gibraltar".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Duffy fancies himself far more in the air than he should, you’d swear he thinks he has Ronaldo like headers.

Have you watched the Premier league much in the last 18-24 months?

Duffy is great in the air.

Odd comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

glasso wrote: »
    you'd expect 3 against 194th in the Fifa rankings.

Given where we were coming from I was not really. Expectations for the first 3 games is low

• Advertisement

fullstop wrote: »
    LOL. You ask when a Trap or O’Neill team won by 2 or 3. You didn’t say there were terms and conditions.

Because the lad was on a stretch, that was a throw away comment, i made the mistake of saying trap when we had decent side going but the football was ****e.

My orginial arguement last night before it went left to right on population of countries or some other bull still stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

murpho999 wrote: »
    That's what interviewers are supposed to do.

Well yes in the main and most do it well but he seems to just come out with a question and words it in a way off i'll look clever here and get a reaction. I can't stand him really. I do agree in relation to O'Neill he just could not handle press like others especially McCarthy can

Scotland labouring in San Marino. They dont look too good at all. We could be them thank god we arent.

Big upset for Croatia going on, dont think anyone would have seen 2-1 coming.

Isreal smashing Austria as well 4-2 so far after going 1-0 down after 8 minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Croatia on the way down now.

They peaked at WC, now I'd say a few guys haven't the heart any more.

Btw "new manager"? Normally a new manager is seen as getting a positive bounce and a few good results where things have been goi g crap. The re was plenty of reports from players about how the dressing room would be instantly better once mick walked in. Now when the team underprefoms its partially a new manager problem.

There shouldnt have needed to be anything done beyond picking 11 professional players from the list and saying "go out and give Gibraltar a hiding and we can focus on Tuesday "

The fact that people are having to make excuses for the game is fairly pathetic.
    We know Mick McCarthy, I have reached my conclusion

Well?

Any thawing after what many thought was the best performance in a couple of years?

Not that I'd form any conclusions myself either way, Interested in the thoughts of those who did after just 1 match...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Well?

Any thawing after what many thought was the best performance in a couple of years?

Not that I'd form any conclusions myself either way, Interested in the thoughts of those who did after just 1 match...

Its just as dangerous to assume after 1 encouraging home win against Georgia that we've turned the corner.

It is however promising that we attempted to play football for a change and not make excuses about not having the players etc etc.

Advertisement