Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade time

Options
  • 23-03-2019 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭

This is my current build which I started a few years ago. Recently updated the GPU from a 760 to a 1080, but the CPU and RAM don't seem to be able to cut it anymore.

Looking for some advice and recommendations for an upgrade to the RAM and CPU (mobo as necessary) so that I'm in a decent enough position for things like BO4, Apex, AC etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

I think you should just be able to upgrade to an i7 4790 and be done. Add additional RAM if you feel you need it, though do check Task Manager to see if you are hitting that wall when gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Thanks! How long would you say before I'd need an upgrade again, if I added another 8gb ram and one of these i7s?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'd add a larger (500Gb+) SSD for your most-played games but other than that, you should be ok for 1440p75Hz gaming for another few years alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Cheers. I actually have another few ssds in there, just couldn't remember which they were so left them off the partpicker :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Hard to say how long it'll last really. I've got an itch to upgrade from an i7 3770K, but I haven't hit any performance barriers yet. I'd say it'll knock out another two years or so unless something fails in the meantime. Zen2 (3rd gen AMD Ryzen CPU) later this year might change things too.

8 cores seems to be the way things are optimised at the moment, which the i7 4790 gives you (via SMT). If you suddenly want to hit 4k 60Hz ultra on the latest games, then you will probably need to upgrade sooner.

• Advertisement
Advertisement