Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is the most pain you've ever endured?

Comments

mr chips wrote: »
    unaware that I had a crack in a filling, which it turned out had allowed a tiny amount of air to be trapped inside my tooth. When the cabin pressurised, the pain was so bad I wanted to rip the side of my head off. Swilling whisky around it for the entire duration of the flight took a very slight edge off it, but made no more difference than that. Two hours of absolute agony - thankfully the flight wasn't any longer than that and the pain completely disappeared after I was off the plane.

Ahh that happened to himself as well. He was in such a bad way and for once i think i had no painkillers on me, so he had to do the whiskey job as well. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,609 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Esel wrote: »
    Why not Aspirin?

It thins blood so makes the bleed worse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

You see that, right there... Mary Ellen Moffat, she broke my heart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Stepping on a nail!

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

Adult tonsillectomy. Currently on day 16. After surgery was fine, day 5 to 10 was hell even on a combination of difine, solpadine and oxynorm painkillers. I've had slightly more intense pain but this went on for 5 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

My tonsils grew back as an adult . Tonsilitis is worse as an adult . Like glass in your throat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Danzy wrote: »
    Are the majority of strokes caused by a bleed or a clot?

Edit: Twice as many caused by clot (ischaemic) as by bleed (haemorrhagic).

I know Aspirin is not contraindicated in cases of suspected heart attack.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

A bee sting.

A fast tennis serve straight to the scrotum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

When I was holidaying in Spain 15 or so years ago... I had a nasty ear infection from swiming. The pain from it was beyond excruciating... felt like someone stabbed me in the ear right into the brain. And whenever I moved, or worst so coughed or sneeze, it amplified the pain ten fold.... like someone was twisting and churning that knife.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Ceasarian section , not me herself.
    Well actually the hangover I had .
    I went on the piss for about three days after the delivery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭mark_jmc

I accompanied my relative (RIP) for tests about ten years ago . She was a nurse in WWII and not faint hearted , and she'd had other procedures . She was upset afterwards and told me to ''never have an angiogram ''.

Surprising how subjective pain can be, though .

As I was finishing my last round of chemo a few years ago I had a small issue with my heart and they sent me for an angiogram. The pain & discomfort that I felt as they shoved the scope into my artery through my wrist was a level I hadn’t felt before or since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Childbirth.

I had to listen to her moan, scream and go on and on about it...

No way Man

A kick in the Nuts can quite fookin painful.......... but Babies are a Girls best friend

A few years after a woman gives birth, she might say she wants another Baby.

You will never hear a Guy a few years down the road say he would like another kick in the Nuts :)

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭pidgeoneyes

Burst appendix (although it didn't burst until shortly before it was taken out). Waiting 24hrs+ for surgery didn't help!
    Morphine is a wonderful drug!

mark_jmc wrote: »
    As I was finishing my last round of chemo a few years ago I had a small issue with my heart and they sent me for an angiogram. The pain & discomfort that I felt as they shoved the scope into my artery through my wrist was a level I hadn’t felt before or since.

I'm glad that was the last round .
    Having an invasive procedure is hard enough when you're relatively well, let alone sore or sick or fragile .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

I accompanied my relative (RIP) for tests about ten years ago . She was a nurse in WWII and not faint hearted , and she'd had other procedures . She was upset afterwards and told me to ''never have an angiogram ''.

Surprising how subjective pain can be, though .

I had an angiogram, and can say I did not feel a thing, just the table was very narrow, and not being able to even blink an eye during procedure, were the main complaints,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

Amazing the amount of kidney stone stories! I also had two doses of kidney stones. The first time I was brought to my knees in a field while looking at cattle - thought I'd never get back to the car, good job I had mobile to call for help.
    Second time I was woken from a deep sleep with onset of the pain. OH called ambulance and I spent Valentines Day last year on a trolley in A&E.
    I've never felt such pain not even in childbirth!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Ive been fairly lucky so far (touch wood)

Never hurt or sprained or broke anything never been to hospital for anything

Probably tooth pain almost paralysing at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

Lumbar puncture and the recovery. THE WORST.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭yuridwyer

Kidney stones, twice. Wnaked out the first one, better than pissing out the second let me tell you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

yuridwyer wrote: »
    Kidney stones, twice. Wnaked out the first one, better than pissing out the second let me tell you!

I jizzed one aswell :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

Wisdom teeth removal. They were growing inwards so gums were cut , teeth pulled, gums stitched back up.

Didn't think I'd make it through the night; the pain was unbearable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

cazzer22 wrote: »
    Lumbar puncture and the recovery. THE WORST.

I was to have one of those in my 20s, so many years ago now. My mother, a nurse, told me to get a second opinion as the pain afterwards was horrific. I got my second opinion, who thankfully said it was not necessary.

You poor thing!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

I was to have one of those in my 20s, so many years ago now. My mother, a nurse, told me to get a second opinion as the pain afterwards was horrific. I got my second opinion, who thankfully said it was not necessary.

You poor thing!!

I was given one aged 18 when they suspected Meningitis. A junior doctor did it the first time and messed up massively. Couldn't extract any fluid (was in the wrong place) so while I was recovering the next day, a series of nurses and a senior doctor arrived to redo it. I protested so much because it's so sore and they pinned me down. Took a month before the headaches went. Lucky escape for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

3 things.

1 - the infection i had in my tooth that needed a root canal. Brought me to tears when i was about 20. Had to chew ice non stop to numb the gum and pile in neurofen. Horrific. Actually made my vision weak in one eye thepain was so bad.

2 - rolled my ankle both directions in a split second playing soccer. Tore all the ligaments in it and the joint is broken to this day. Spent 45 days on crutches. Took me 18 hours to get seen in hospital initially. Pain was insane. Just lie on the ground and dont move until some other lads picked me up and drove me to hospital.

3 - short but intense. Needed a filling in a tooth. Usually its inject. Drill. fill.
    Whether my nerves are weird or my dentist was ****, the injections wouldnt work. Got 6or 7. No joy. Every time hed start drilling i could feel it right on the nerve. Eventually he just drilled through the pain. Absolutely horrific. Millimetre by millimetre. Breaks every time. I havent gone back to him since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Danzy wrote: »
    Esel wrote: »
    Why not Aspirin?

Really if you see any sudden symptoms that look like they could be neurological call 999 straight away. Better be safe then sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭holliehobbie

4 wisdom teeth removed at the same time under GA. Nurofen didn't touch it! Stitches, swollen cheeks, black eyes. First c-section after the stupid suppository fell out. They had to get the anaesthetist to give me IV morphine. Sciatica. Worst pain of all was after an emergency abdominal hysterectomy. But at the time I had an undiagnosed rare endocrine disorder which meant my blood calcium and parathyroid hormone were high but because I had been fasting for ages my phosphate level was low and the rare disorder can cause phosphate to be low too. Result: vomiting from pain which caused more pain as my abdominal muscles were already split open!!! The parathyroid surgery during which half my thyroid was removed was a piece of cake after that. Even though I had a huge drain and staples in my neck! But I nearly developed tetany at one stage after that which is when your blood calcium falls too low. My hands started cramping but I got the nurse to check my blood and was started on calcium supplements just in time.

Forgot about the time I had such a bad sinus infection I was puking from pain and couldn't keep antibiotics or fluids down. Ended up in hospital on IV fluids and antibiotics and it was my birthday to top it all off. They kept checking me for meningitis. The doctor looked at my throat and asked if it was sore. I hadn't even noticed as the pain in my head was so bad! Sinus headaches aren't the nicest thing either. I used to get Sinus infections a couple of times a year at one stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Gall bladder stones. Morphine is so good.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Severe sinus infection during which I had to take a flight back to Ireland from Italy.
    Shingles, with the rash around my side, in the ribcage area,when I was 12 years old.
    I've given birth 3 times and I'd still do that again before I would have shingles again. Absolutely horrendous.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Collapsed lung, local anaesthetic didn't work so when they were cutting me open and shoving tubes etc in I could feel it all. The pain was horrific, but the worst pain came a few days later. A machine to remove air trapped around my lung was used and the thing caused the tube to rub off a rib bone constant. It felt like someone set fire to me inside my chest :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,858 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Suffered second degree burns to 65 percent of my body with part of that third degree requiring skin grafts when I was 11.
    The burns unit in Crumlin gives you a great lifelong appreciation of life on this little blue ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

800m race.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭js35

Was out on a hack years ago when I was 16 came off the horse but unfortunately my boot (and me) got caught in the stirrup and was dragged by a galloping horse for about 20 yards that was both very painful and terrifying!

Have also had 3 c sections open gallbladder removal (9inch scar) had half my large bowel removed due to Crohn’s disease and kidney stones but they weren’t nearly half as bad as that time on a horse :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭js35

Double post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭em_cat

A lorry crushing my legs. Also the pain that losing a pet brings, both physical & emotional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

When I tripped, fell and subsequently found out I had completely torn my right subscapularis tendon, and dislocated the long head of the biceps tendon.

Resulting surgery and a 12 month recovery 6 months of that I wasn’t aloud to use my right arm.

Two years on I have about 70% of the motion. Occasionally my shoulder aches, and it’s difficult to exert the kind of strength needed to open stubborn jars or screws as the pain is too much.

• Advertisement

Out of curiosity ...For those of you with surgical scars, how long did yours take to fade ?

Mine's hip-to-hip but barely visible and only shows up under bright light . It's been like this from about 8 months after surgery .Surgeon was neat, it's just a very fine white line , but is that normal, fast , or slow ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Out of curiosity ...For those of you with surgical scars, how long did yours take to fade ?

Mine's hip-to-hip but barely visible and only shows up under bright light . It's been like this from about 8 months after surgery .Surgeon was neat, it's just a very fine white line , but is that normal, fast , or slow ?

Those scars stay for life. I have one from when I was a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Eggbread

TMJ headaches.

One time it hurt so bad I went temporarily insane and started screaming and thrashing around on the floor. I hit my face on the ground and gave myself a massive nosebleed. Blood everywhere. It was brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,558 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Testicular torsion., Jesus i still wince thinking about it.
    Had to get one removed.

mzungu wrote: »
    Those scars stay for life. I have one from when I was a child.

oh, sure . I know it can't totally vanish . It's already as good as I could've hoped for .And I don't mind it. I'm just surprised because I expected it to be visible for longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭holliehobbie

My scar from the TAH is very neat and fine. I even have one little spot about a third of the way down where there is no scar visible even though it had been 'opened up'. Dissolvable sutures are good. Staples are good too for leaving a very narrow scar. Had them in after c-section and neck scars. Bio-oil is your friend too!

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭bunderoon

Went to the dentist years ago to get an extraction.
    The dentist was having trouble pulling the tooth and for some reason pushed the tooth up and then pulled it again. It eventually came out. I didnt feel it really as she had numbed the gum before hand. Usual noises etc.

Fast forward about an hour later when I was at home. My GF was at work at the time, I had the day off for the extraction. I was at the sink doing the dishes when a dull ache started. What it was, was that the anesthetic was wearing off.

Over the next 5ish hours, I was actually close to ending it. The pain I felt going from the bottom of my jaw to the side of my eye was something that I have never felt since. It was so bad I was actually screaming. I could only describe it as something like someone with a small rock hammer smashing the side of face while I was also being electrocuted. I had a sinus infection for about 2 months afterwards.

I finally found out that a piece of the tooth's root was lodged into the nerve ending of my jaw. A different dentist found it on a xray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭davidk1394

A full force kick off a bullock into the stones was probably the most painful thing I’ve experienced

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

I was hung, drawn and quartered for high treason in 1708.
    Having my head hacked off was the most painful part of the process - the axe was dull and the eyesight of its wielder duller.

Luckily I'm a quick healer and I'm as right as rain now. No more treason for me though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,609 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Having my head hacked off was the most painful part of the process - the axe was dull and the eyesight of its wielder duller.

Luckily I'm a quick healer and I'm as right as rain now. No more treason for me though!

The bastards would only love for you to quit now.

Don't give them the soot of it.

Ach, that's just a flesh wound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

When I was a kid I slammed a car door on my finger.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭coconnellz

Worst pain I ever enjured was 6 days in hospital with a cluster headache with stroke like symptoms felt like my side of the head was in a serious tight clamp and my body being pressed against a whole bed of needles couldn't move my body or eat and drink for 5 days. I was In pitch black room and nothing would ease the pain wouldn't wish it on worst enemy

Some of these are giving me the cold grues.

Was with a class trip to the beach and one of the girls shouted and went down on the sand but she got straight up again and wanted to go straight in and surf. Turned out she'd been stung by a weever fish. One of the other st's was a surfer or lifeguard himself and knew what to do. Which was handy as I felt like an ass looking into a well. Without him, we'd probably have ended up googling it. He told me those stings are extremely painful so she must be a tough cookie. A shoes-on-the-beach rule was implemented after that .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,999 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

coconnellz wrote: »
    Worst pain I ever enjured was 6 days in hospital with a cluster headache with stroke like symptoms felt like my side of the head was in a serious tight clamp and my body being pressed against a whole bed of needles couldn't move my body or eat and drink for 5 days. I was In pitch black room and nothing would ease the pain wouldn't wish it on worst enemy

It’s very hard to convey how debilitating servere headaches can be not only in terms of extreme discomfort, pain and the general impact that those symptoms bring to your quality of life. I’ve know people with heart problems and even cancer go work, play golf, walks, go to parties and live relatively normal lives. Which is great. With headaches and me having been a sufferer..while supposedly less cronic and not life threatening at all the impact of only being able to stay home in a dark room at times when the onslaught of the symptoms is at its worst is basically brining you to a state of existing rather then living. Not fun.

• Advertisement
Advertisement