Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is the most pain you've ever endured?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Esel wrote: »
    Are the majority of strokes caused by a bleed or a clot?

Edit: Twice as many caused by clot (ischaemic) as by bleed (haemorrhagic).

I know Aspirin is not contraindicated in cases of suspected heart attack.

In the case of a stroke, only a MRI can see if its a bleed or clot. Even an ambulance crew would not give Aspirin. If its a haemorrhage Aspirin would make it worse and could kill them.

Off topic, but I think basic first aid should be taught in all schools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭dragona

dragona wrote: »
    Kidney stone, and also pancreatitis, equally agonising, wanted to be put down both times. Pure agony. Way more than childbirth.

ooops I forgot to add...a broken rib, caused by my son hugging me after I took him out for a birthday lunch. I heard it crack, that was 7 weeks ago and it still pains me to breathe.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭holliehobbie

Both my daughters have been taught basic first aid, one in school in transition year and one with the scouts and the Irish Red Cross. They may need it if my health deteriorates and I have a heart attack or stroke in the future. I've had two DVTs and high blood pressure and palpitations because of a rare Endocrine disorder that causes low blood phospate levels and high blood calcium levels. If your calcium gets too high you can have a stroke or heart attack.

ooops I forgot to add...a broken rib, caused by my son hugging me after I took him out for a birthday lunch. I heard it crack, that was 7 weeks ago and it still pains me to breathe.

Have you ever had your blood calcium levels checked? The Endocrine disease I have can cause osteoporosis, pancreatitis and kidney stones due to high calcium levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Nothing worse than the pain of a toothache imo.

left a chest infection develop into pneumonia that saw me spend a week in james's. was back walking on day three and allowed myself to cough while en route to the jacks, woke up on the floor with a cracked rib as a result.

collateral and medial ligaments of the left knee, jesus i made some noise about that but what i remember most now is the sound and the feel of it happening.

i sprained ankle ligaments once badly enough to get to a&e and it was going ok until the doctor, bent over, managed to hook his stethoscope between my toes on the affected foot without either of us noticing. when he straightened up he took me with him and the full weight on the sprain and if i was only able to catch him id have killed him but he made tracks before i composed myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 danny28ryan

When I was 19 I had meningococcal septacemia. I had been misdiagnosed by GP and an A+E doctor.
    The pain in my head was indescribable. I was lucky as I only had a few hours left to survive before I was correctly diagnosed after my 2nd visit to hospital. I knew I was dying and will remember the pain forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

A crohn's flare when I was 18. Ended up in hospital with it. Barely slept for weeks, lost two stone and I was pretty skinny at the time. Was basically stabbing pains within my gut, I've had other ones since but none that were so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Roosterreid

Fractured coccyx...... everything around it went into spasm - unreal!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Had my rib cage pulled apart and a guy playing with my heart for a few hours.

They told me he was the surgeon B-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

An impacted bowel 5 years ago.
    I have had some weird surgical procedures but have never felt pain like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Kidney stones are pretty dreadful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Misses browns boys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

I don't know when it will happen but I do know it will happen again. My lower back has a tendency to randomly get strained. I end up having to move around with my posture at a 45 degree angle and any movement, even breathing, feels like someone sticking a knife into my back. It hasn't happened for 4 years but I dread the day it strikes again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

ardinn wrote: »
    Having a catheter pulled out after having surgery on kidney stones - which involved a camera, various surgical implements, a stent and a lazer all being shoved up my japs eye into my kidneys - the catheter was there to help release all the bits of a huge stone, but if you have had that burn - you know the feeling, when yer wan pulled it out (yanked) i made a sound i have never heard before!

I was literally going to type this. Had the exact same thing happen to me about 4 years ago. Stone was too big to pass so they had to go up and break it down. The pain of the stone was unbearable, I vomited and everything. But will never forget the sensation when the nurse was taking out the catheter, she deflated the balloon that was keeping it in place, told me to take a deep breath and yanked it out of my d*ck, the pain and blood that followed :eek:

Worse thing about kidney stones is they say if you get them once, they are guaranteed to come back :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

A toss up between when I had an infection in my sternum bone (it felt like a heart attack & doctors at the hospital actually thought I was having a heart attack at first) and when I fractured my ankle and shin bone so badly I needed surgery to correct it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I broke a rib in October 2007, the pain stuck around until April 2013

Due to absent mindedness on the part of a neighbour, a 25 kg block fell four feet onto my foot last June, despite nothing showing up in two xrays, have not been free of the pain from it for one day since

I have a predisposition to chronic pain, if someone jokingly punched me in the arm or shoulder, I could feel it for months on and off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭jiltloop

It's between a ruptured ACL and a having to walk on a broken toe (and feeling the bone moving with each step, almost feel sick thinking about it).

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Bitches Be Trypsin

Forgot about the time I had such a bad sinus infection I was puking from pain and couldn't keep antibiotics or fluids down. Ended up in hospital on IV fluids and antibiotics and it was my birthday to top it all off. They kept checking me for meningitis. The doctor looked at my throat and asked if it was sore. I hadn't even noticed as the pain in my head was so bad! Sinus headaches aren't the nicest thing either. I used to get Sinus infections a couple of times a year at one stage.

I get regular sinus infections, like at least once a month, really debilitating and painful, constant antibiotics have awful side effects too :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

tippspur wrote: »

You've clearly never been kicked square in the nuts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

5. Broken bone, wasn't actually too bad.
    4. Stretched Achilles. Quick "ping" followed by instant pain
    3. Death of loved one.
    2. Tooth and ear ache. They go together because they are both absolute bastards.
    1. Death of a dog, particularly the last one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I've a pretty decent pain threshold but reading through the thread I've been pretty lucky compared to most of ye!

I had four wisdom teeth taken out under local anaesthetic and went back to work that afternoon. Currently have an infected molar root that requires a root canal but is being managed with anti-biotics and a few ibuprofen before the anti-biotics kicked in. Broke my ulna as a kid but don't remember too much about it besides the cast being itchy. I do remember flash-burning the cornea of my right-eye as a teenager and it being painful but for sharp, instant fall-down and curl into the fetal position pain, nothing tops the day I took a paintball to the left testicle from a range of approximately 5 feet. I was tender for a few hours and took the edge off with a rake of pints but those initial couple of seconds convinced me that I'd never be a father.

edit: guzzling water at my desk today after reading so many horror stories about kidney stones!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Perforated appendix. Wasn't too bad at the start but was pretty bad until the antibiotics kicked in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Sleepy wrote: »
    I've a pretty decent pain threshold but reading through the thread I've been pretty lucky compared to most of ye!

I had four wisdom teeth taken out under local anaesthetic and went back to work that afternoon. Currently have an infected molar root that requires a root canal but is being managed with anti-biotics and a few ibuprofen before the anti-biotics kicked in. Broke my ulna as a kid but don't remember too much about it besides the cast being itchy. I do remember flash-burning the cornea of my right-eye as a teenager and it being painful but for sharp, instant fall-down and curl into the fetal position pain, nothing tops the day I took a paintball to the left testicle from a range of approximately 5 feet. I was tender for a few hours and took the edge off with a rake of pints but those initial couple of seconds convinced me that I'd never be a father.

edit: guzzling water at my desk today after reading so many horror stories about kidney stones!
    Yeah, I mean I'm never going to say "its worse than childbirth" but the whole post kick in the ball process in itself is emotionally and physically horrific.

<kick>

* shít, that was my nuts, I felt it but I feel fine
    * still fine, I must be lu... and it hits
    * nauseous
    * cold sweats
    * unable to breathe
    * hot sweats
    * the demons of hell playing drums within your liathróidí
    * the consoldation of you'll be dead soon

* then it all calms down somewhat except for a dull throbbing ache

* you sit down on a hard chair to fast 2 hours and its' back to the start

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

Sticking my finger in my eye in my sleep after having lazor eye surgery. I was screaming and on my knees in agony. Had to have the surgery done again.

My head being smashed through a glass window play fighting as a kid.

Kidney infection which led to septicemia. I almost died.

My hangovers these days are worse than any of the above!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Kidney pain, I remember when the stone started to move out of my kidney during a kayaking trip.
    The entire morning I thought I had to pee, the pain trying to push something that is stuck in the tubes was agony.
    Then when it finally came free and I almost pissed my pants rushing to a bush.
    Blood and crying while it came out and the euphoria when it pops out.
    I've still got one which hasn't moved and I'm just waiting for that moment again.

Next up, I had to have 3 teeth removed in one sitting which included a root canal on a 4th tooth. Had a severe infection.
    I honestly thought I was nearing the end. Took about 3 hours in total and had a swollen face for days.

Final and most recent.
    Years ago I had a hair on my back which started growing inside (unbeknownst to me till it came to a head).
    After a while it started to swell up and i figured it was a spot that was just inflamed.
    It stayed like that for a while but it never hurt so never bothered thinking more about it.
    Then it got huge and I was in complete agony.
    Rushed myself to hospital and they immediately brought me into surgery.
    They didn't even have time to sedate me, out came the tools and they burst open the cyst and had to clean the entire cavity which had formed.
    They were literally using anything they had to clean the pus out.
    I was a ghost, tears down my face and I couldn't move or I faced being cut further.
    If I hadn't had gone to the hospital it would have burst itself and the infection would have entered my blood stream and eventually to my heart. Fatal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

Earleybird wrote: »
    There is no pain comparable to stepping on a plug. I've considered throwing out all appliances to prevent it ever happening again!

Ah there is, try stepping on an Australian plug. They've a similar design to ours and some of them can stand on their backs just like ours, but the pins are like US-style blades and actually went THROUGH my foot drawing blood! I'm pretty sure I still have a \ / pattern on my foot !!

There's a lot to be said for the European 'Schuko' foot-friendly plugs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

I rubbed Witchhazel ointment on me ringpiece once for a scaldy hole from sweating on holidays, I can honestly say I've never felt stinging like it, I had to sit in the pool with me cheeks pulled wide for about 4 hours before it cooled down enough for me to be able to walk like John Wayne.

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Probably dental pain - I had a tooth that required a root canal before and it hurt, a bit, so I went to the dentist and she was investigating and she tapped the bottom of it with a metal instrument - it was like someone had taken a massive electrical bolt and jammed it up into my pain centre, I couldnt see, speak, breathe, all my muscles unhinged, I may have wet myself a bit. It settled slightly, but from the time she tapped it to the time I got the root canal (about a week) I was in misery the whole time.

Another terrible pain was a bizarre one, I got gastroenteritis and even drinking sips of water was causing the most horrendous stomach cramps. They got so bad that I actually lost consciousness mid cramp. I had no idea the body could cramp so badly. Im not sure it was the pain that knocked me out, it may have been all the blood in my system going to my cramping gut. But it was horrifically painful in the moment. Short lived though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

uch wrote: »
    I rubbed Witchhazel ointment on me ringpiece once for a scaldy hole from sweating on holidays, I can honestly say I've never felt stinging like it, I had to sit in the pool with me cheeks pulled wide for about 4 hours before it cooled down enough for me to be able to walk like John Wayne.

Haha that image really brightened up my Tuesday :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

I had ear surgery, part of which involved drilling my ear canal to get better access to my ear drum to repair it.
    For a few years after I had problems where debris and dead skin would occasionally build up in my ear and I would have to get it cleaned out.

I don't mind getting my ear hovered out or rinsed out, but this involved scraping the ear canal to pull off debris and it was enough to make me literally cry. The ENT surgeon was kinda gruff and said "well if you keep squirming we'll have to bring you into hospital and do it under general anaesthetic" so I just put up with it but wow it was agony - there were tears coming out of my eyes to the point that I actually lost my contact lenses.

I probably should have gone for the being knocked out approach!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

When I was 10, I had my appendix taken out. They burst while they were being removed. The puss went everywhere. Was kept in for nearly 2 weeks to recover. Very sore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

2nd would be when I blew out my knee aged 22, but that was quite brief as it was stabilised straight away, however 1st, by a distance, would be the after effects of a lumbar puncture and spinal tap...

...back in college there was a meningitis outbreak, a few of us were exposed to someone who became very ill, I developed some symptoms and was hospitalised for tests. It turns out the symptoms were just ordinary viral, but they did draw off some spinal fluid via lumbar puncture for testing by sticking a massive needle in my spinal cord. That was done under a local anaesthetic so felt nothing, however the headaches and sleep disturbance felt for a few days after while the fluid rebalanced in my brain would be on a scale hitherto yet to be defined. I would have welcomed death at some points.

Btw, kudos to the poster earlier who rated the death of his dog quite above that of a loved one human. I agree with that, my missus thinks I'm some kind of sociopath. I suspect its so much more painful because there is no allowance for it in society, you're just expected to take off like a jacket your daily companion with whom you've never had a cross word for 10 or 15 years and move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Worst one for me was a wisdom tooth that had broken in half getting infected and pulling on a nerve, the pain would shoot up the whole side of my face!

Agree on the kidney pain, got a sudden pain in my right kidney last year on a bank holiday of all days was panicking loads but kept drinking loads of water until I peed the pain away :pac:

Had a knee injury where my knee buckled under me from a fat lad jumping on my back, heard a crack and sever pain!

Appendicitis wasnt as bad as I thought it would be, went into work thinking its just a stomach pain, tried sleeping it off after work but woke at 7.30 still sore and said ah feck it ill go to the hospital......12 hour wait to be seen by a doc, another 12 hour wait to be operated too :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

This thread has made me scared of ever getting kidney stones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

wakka12 wrote: »

Wouldn't wish them on my worst enemy

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Day three post tonsillectomy.

The spasms. Oh God the spasms :eek:

Also a "hot tooth" whereby the molar was too infected for my dentist to begin root canal. So I had to go home with a bag of antibiotics and wait for the tooth to calm down enough for her to treat it. That. Was. Hell.

Then as luck would have it. Three days post said root canal I got kidney stones and had to spend a night in hospital. In the excitement I forgot my pain meds for the tooth, but luckily enough they gave me morphine in the A&E which was great. Except the morning staff were late giving me pain meds the next day and I was in agony with the kidneys and the tooth. Good times.

When having my first son there were complications so I needed a C Section. Epidural went wrong and I ended up with an air bubble in my spine which caused me crippling headaches for weeks. I could barely get up to see to my newborn with the pain and it was that snowy Christmas (2010) and the place was understaffed. Nobody copped my spine issue for a few days. Eventually had to have a blood patch. Which means they put a tube going from the veins in my wrist into my spine and continually flushed blood around. Sort of like flushing out a radiator. That was on Christmas morning. There was a slight improvement but, as I said, the headache remained for some time.

Lots of other dental issues over the years including a broken molar root. That was a lovely bolt of pain up through my face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭hgfj

Idiot I shared a house with many years ago decided it would be funny to break open and empty the gunpowder from a banger into an ash-tray. Stubbed my cigarette in the ash-tray and nearly blew my fingers off. The pain was excruciating. At the hospital later the nurse spent more time giving him a bollicking than she spent putting bandages on me.

Also blacked out passing a kidney stone while taking a piss. When I came to I had no idea where I was. Knew I was in a bathroom but had no idea whos bathroom or how I got there or why I was lying on the floor with my todger out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

Mass Appendix.
    A normal Appendix procedure is pretty simple operation, and too painful, but I a lot of whit puss had spread around my appendix & made it was inflamed so they had to cut a hole nearly twice the size of that of a normal appendix scar. They gave a morphine shot as soon as I woke up. I couldn't lie down on either side so had to sleep like a mummy for 3 days.

And bruise & inflamed tailbone, could lie ony my back for 3 days, some antibiotics, codeine & ibuprofen helped cure it.

Bi tothaches are never good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭dragona

wakka12 wrote: »

Be afraid, very afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Gonad

Pain don’t hurt .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Cricket ball in the knackerbag.

I puked. couldn't walk for a good half hour after it.

sack swelled up like a mango after it, had them checked, no testicle rupture somehow.

It was 20 years ago now. I still get a sick feeling in my stomach even thinking about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

Got most of my foreskin and a small bit of ball skin stuck in the zip of me chinos in the jacks in Harry Byrne’s in Clontarf when I was in a rush to go back out and watch a Liverpool game.

As if the pain of catching the lad in yer zip wasn't enough!

Earleybird wrote: »
    There is no pain comparable to stepping on a plug. I've considered throwing out all appliances to prevent it ever happening again!

Done it, wasn't as bad as being stabbed but thankfully only in the hand while working as security. Was also glassed in the arm and had a lit cigarette jammed into my neck one night working in a nightclub, the latter stung like feck for about a week.

Broke my arm and my wrist at the same time once, that has been the worse physical pain I've ever experienced.

tippspur wrote: »

Forgot about the tooth abscess that cost me €500 when I had root canal treatment on it! The price was nearly as painful!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Dry socket following emergency dental work.

So intense - I wouldn't wish it on my worse enemy!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

bear1 wrote: »
    Final and most recent.
    Years ago I had a hair on my back which started growing inside (unbeknownst to me till it came to a head).
    After a while it started to swell up and i figured it was a spot that was just inflamed.
    It stayed like that for a while but it never hurt so never bothered thinking more about it.
    Then it got huge and I was in complete agony.
    Rushed myself to hospital and they immediately brought me into surgery.
    They didn't even have time to sedate me, out came the tools and they burst open the cyst and had to clean the entire cavity which had formed.
    They were literally using anything they had to clean the pus out.
    I was a ghost, tears down my face and I couldn't move or I faced being cut further.
    If I hadn't had gone to the hospital it would have burst itself and the infection would have entered my blood stream and eventually to my heart. Fatal.

A pilonodial cyst. Had one myself but it was caught much earlier than yours. I still had to go to hospital every day for a month before work to get the dressing changed and the wound cleaned. Right at the top of my ars3 crack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Before Christmas I was relaying floor boards on suspended joists in a downstairs room. I was putting insulation between the joists and I had to navigate through the room by standing on the joists. It is a 3 foot drop to to the earth below.

Anyway took my eye off the ball and missed a joist and went straight down but I fell sideways and the entire length of my outer thigh took the initial blow and scraped all the way up to my hip until I hit the ground below. Thankfully I had removed all the nails beforehand otherwise it would have been a hospital job plus I was on my own in the house.

I actually jumped out ran upstairs threw myself on the bed and just roared into the duvet. Got the sweats and to wait for natural painkillers to kick in. It swelled up and the entire weekend was a write off...could not bend my leg, get dressed, drive or walk or sleep.

It was basically the worst dead leg imaginable which lingered for days. Could not sleep properly for 2 weeks as lying on either side was torture. Of course it went through every colour in the rainbow.

In 40 years on this planet I cannot think of going through worse pain in all my life (never broken a bone I should add).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Migraines - half a lifetime of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Dry socket following emergency dental work.

So intense - I wouldn't wish it on my worse enemy!

I had the same . It was like someone using a screw driver into the jaw and driving it up into the brain. . I cried all night until the dentist opened . The merciful relief when she put the pack in was heavenly

• Advertisement
Advertisement