Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is the most pain you've ever endured?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭sporina

Compressed fractured L1 vertebrae from a car crash - I rem thinking/screaming "OMG I am broken in half" - when the paramedics came I just held out my arm and screamed "give me something for the pain!!!!!!" the next 2 weeks are hazy due to Morphine and Tramadol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭notAMember

In order of worst first for me.

• Gallstone attack. Those were the worst, genuinely would have taken out a handgun and put myself out of that misery if I had one available.
    • Burst appendix. Bad, but not as bad as gallstones.
    • Childbirth. The preceding days of labour and the recovery from the stitches and infections afterwards. Not the worst pain I've ever experienced (see two above), but it went on for so much longer than the others.
    • Compound fracture

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

nothing close to other things that have been mentioned here, but during a physio session, being asked 'does this hurt?' by a woman weighing about nine stone and being too macho to say 'YES!'

if you'd told me before that, that i'd be half naked in a room with a very attractive young lady who would do things to my body that would take my breath away, i'd have sued you for false advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Heskey1971

I was a passenger in a car crash years ago,no seatbelt. Broked ny right arm in 14 places, my left arm in 3, my nose, my jaw, my teeth, 10 ribs and my pelvis but gallbaldder infection was the worst. A public hospital sent me home from A&E 3 times saying it was my stomach. A private A&E diagnosed me in a half hour, kept me in for 4 days with antibiotics injected every 6 hours. I'd the start of Sepsis. Then 10 weeks of antibiotics before it was settled enough to take it out.

Pain was 20 out of 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Broke my ankle while out walking the dog, he dragged me into a rabbit hole. Since we were in the middle of a field i had to get up and try and walk home on it. Took me 45 mins.

3 weeks after my left ankle (sort of) healed i broke my right ankle, again with the dog. He tried to chase after a yorkshire terrier and pulled me off balance and boom.

So yeah. 9/10 would not recommend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I've broken bones, dislocated stuff, had a ruptured appendix, adult tonsillectomy and as an example of pain threshold I submit the following.

I fractured my right thumb, dislocated it and tore the ligaments from the volar plate. Then treated it as a sprain for 5 weeks before going to get it looked at.

The worst of all the pain, I'm going thru now. Have a still vague diagnosis but it's neuropathy of the left flank that extends from behind my left nut over my entire left flank to my kidney and just below my ribcage, over my left hip and outer thigh

Pain is so severe that at times I can't walk, using stairs is a huge effort. More than 20 minutes or so upright leads to huge pain issues for the rest of the day. Meds are great but eventually you have to take more and more to be able to be pain free. Balancing pain against being able to function is a tightrope.

I am lucky in that it's not a functional issue, a tumour or a cancer. The pain won't kill me. It is getting to the point tho that it is weighing on my relationships and my ability to live a normal life.

The pain when it flares is all consuming, it really takes over and is harder and harder to manage. At its best, it's a sense of internal, burning, itching and inescapable pressure.

At its worst, it's kidney stone, combined with a kick in the Bollox, the lingering after effects of a flick, constant nausea and severe burning pain along the line from testicle to ribcage to upper thigh.

But hey, it's Tuesday, it's a bright beautiful day and I'm not dying or living in the UK 😉

So it could be worse 😛

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Compound, comminuted fracture of my ego when I lost a chess game to my sister.

Serious answer: abscess due to a rotten tooth. Led me to fainting while waiting in the dentist's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I live with chronic pain so I'm no stranger to it

A 25 kg concrete block fell four feet onto my right foot over three years ago

Pain never went away and it's cost me a lot as person responsible refused to be accountable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

trying to navigate through new Boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Actually, I take back my self pitying post 😉

This wins!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Palmach

An operation to close and anal tear went wrong. The wound turned septic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Dislocated knee was deeply unpleasant. And the best bit is, it's forever weakened now so it dislocates quite often!

But I think the worst pain was having had a lumbar puncture, to investigate suspected meningitis during a University outbreak, the rebalancing of the spinal fluid causes a brain-ache that feels like your head is going to explode and leaves you temporarily blind. So perhaps more frightening than painful, but painful nonetheless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Following this and prior to getting a couple of dental implants I underwent a procedure called a sinus lift.. it’s a weird procedure, not much fun, uncomfortable, but not as painful as you’d imagine during it.....but a few hours later, man. The aftermath of it, sweet holy fûck, I left with a handful of painkillers and a prescription for more... sweet holy fukkkk, needed..

up to four years ago I suffered migraines that were the symptom of another medical problem that almost ended my life, I needed to turn the car around one evening as I couldn’t drive I was in that much agony, don’t miss those migraines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

I had an operation on my spinal cord, which resulted in an unexpected leak of spinal fluid. Doctors insisted I try and stand up after a couple of days. Whatever fluid was left in my nervous system left my brain under gravity. Never experienced pain like it. Headache is not an appropriate description. Almost puking thinking of it now

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭anplaya27

Post edited by anplaya27 on

jaysus I hope you sued who ever sent you home with stomach ache

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

Divorce. Not my decision. Broken heart is real.

On a lighter note, no pun intended, got really badly sunburnt in rio de janeiro. The pain.

Slipped disc.

Broken foot and torn ligament at the same time.

Wisdom teeth issues and then getting all 4 out at once.

Spiral fractures on my finger from a drill spinning out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Senature

Eardrum burst in the middle of the night when I was a teenager.

Thankfully the initial agony of the first few minutes which sent me into contortions faded, but I then cried like a baby for about an hour. When I was finally able to stop, I couldn't manage to put my head down on the pillow for hours, the pain was unbelievable.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I had to have a lumbar puncture and was dreading it after what I had heard from others and what I had seen in movies and tv about them. My one was was grand thankfully. The nurse told me to drink a can of Coke after it and to lie completely flat out on the bed and to not move.

The sickest I've been was with vertigo. Projectile vomited for a week. The most pain I was in was because of my gallbladder. I'd get an attack after going to bed and be in agony for hours. I might get back to sleep and 6 or 7 am but then I'd have to get up for work at 7.30. Even thinking about it now makes me feel phantom gallbladder pains. I got my gallbladder removed and was back at work the next day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

How in the blue hell does an eardrum burst spontaneously? I'm presuming you were asleep and otherwise minding your own business?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Still gout. Was in hospital in Feb, woke up and my knee was borked and my whole hand had swollen up. Couldn't give me anything as was due for a scan later that day, pure agony!

Post edited by petes on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Senature

Bad inner ear infection, ended up in hospital for a couple of days getting iv antibiotics

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭honeyjo

Tennis Elbow 😯 It's been really painful since January. It's my right elbow but now my left is started to ache too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

This heat.....every day feels like a bad hangover.

The weather is lovely but.I'm not made for this...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭magic_murph

The pain of my EX leaving me to move in with my father only for my father to leave my mother and then my mother to move in with my best friend. It was the toughest week of my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Trying to use the 'new' boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Seanachai

It's a toss between being hit on the knee with a mug and sciatica.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Your description of kidney stone pain is perfect, the best I ever heard. I would also add the associated ureteric stent procedure intended to aid the passing of the stones. They say to carry on your life as normal while it is inserted for up to twelve weeks .... but it's impossible to ignore the constant feeling of being kicked in the goolies that the stent produces.

Then the removal of the stent .... through the penis.... adds loss of dignity to the list of suffering you have already endured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭redlad12

Very bad sunburn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

Inflamed appendix, much harder to get out, and unlike a normal appendix scar which goes across, my scar is about x2 longer than average & going at a 90 degree angle.

Back tooth pain is worse than a kick in the balls, balls pain only lasts a short time, toothache can last hours or days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Finger rebroken to reset after a week in plaster not nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭appledrop

Definitely tooth pain is the worst. I got my wisdom teeth out all at once years ago while knocked out.

I was grand for first few days after the op then I got an infection and my cheeks blew up, I looked like a chipmunk.

I'll never forget the pain for as long as I live. I was on really strong opium painkillers + I may aswell have been taken smarties and I say that as someone who normally only take paracetamol once or twice a year! The pain in my jaw and headaches day and night was unbelievable.

I'll never forget being up all night screaming with the pain. It took two weeks to heal.

I also had appendicitis and that was unreal pain aswell but at least only for a day until you get the operation!

Childbirth certainly wasn't pleasant but I was dreading it so much + not as bad as I expected relatively speaking!

No I'll never forget those f**kers my wisdom teeth!

Nigel, vertigo is horrific.

I never suffered from it until after the birth of my son. Thankfully I only get very random attacks maybe once a year but I can't get out of bed with it.

If I need to use bathroom could take me an hour to make it and I'll vomit a few times along the way.

The last two times I've called out the doctor + they give me some injection that definitely helps, so I'd recommend that. Thankfully mine usually only lasts a day or two.

I used to hear people saying they had it and I just thought, oh they must be a bit dizzy, it's only when you have it yourself you realise how horrific it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭smillingsam

Spent almost 2 years suffering with sciatica, constant pain, could stand up straight or walk more than a dozen steps at a time for almost a year at its worst, a horrible experience

I have to say I don't know how people cope with long term pain. I would never be able for it. I've been through a few illnesses in my time but very lucky that none were long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭mikethecop

had a good few painful experiences

one novel one is sneezing with a few broken ribs ,

the pain is intense but the 6 weeks of fear that you will sneeze is almost as bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Even worse is how few doctors take it at all seriously, had an orthopaedic consultant tell me " chronic pain doesn't exist "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

I had a heart attack that pain was otherworldly the reason I say this is to give you an idea how much pain I was in when I had my perfectly  healthy big toe nail ripped out to the root. I passed out from the pain numerous times, while my heart attack was absolutely extraordinarily painful it was not as bad a the toe nail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,518 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Out of interest, how did that happen?

Edit: the toenail, I mean.

Post edited by Esel on

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭smillingsam

I agree, i actually had to switch doctors a few times because all the first ones done were fill me up with tablets and tell me everything will be ok eventually, as you said, I felt like they weren't taking me seriously and that I was exaggerating my symptoms.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

On paper Vertigo doesn't sound too bad but the reality of it is terrible. I felt room spinningly drunk for a week and had to sit upright in a chair with my eyes closed while trying not to move. It was a horrible experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is emotional pain tougher than physical pain?

personally i think so, you can recover from physical pain but emotional pain still lingers in the background 😔

Complete rupture of Achilies tendon. All three of the calf muscles (gastrocnemius, soleus, and plantaris) were up behind my knee.

Only time I came close to passing out from pain. Still remember everything going fuzzy

Yeah, forgot about the wisdom tooth.

Had right upper come down too far and impacted the lower. Upper came out in 30 seconds and a few taps. Lower was pushed back into the jaw and needed to be shattered into 4 pieces to get pulled out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

An impacted bowel 7 years ago. It felt like someone was standing on my stomach

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

Longer term, I had a viral infection a few years back that resulted in viral arthritis: severe pain when moving any joint, I honestly don’t know how anyone could live with that long term, thankfully after several misdiagnosis it was discovered and treated successfully.

Second, had a tooth taken out that broke mid extraction meaning the dentist had to drill the root out, dear God that was the worst, most intense pain I’ve known, felt like I’d been sledgehammered on the jaw for days afterwards.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Midlands Minnie

Gallstone pain is the worst pain I have ever experienced in my life. Knowing that painkillers wont work and also it was going to last 3-4 hours was horrific, its like a heart attack x 2. Also cramps with IBS D, I nearly fainted a couple of times and also threw up the pain was so bad.

wisdom tooth pain

• Advertisement
Advertisement