Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest taxis these days.

• 23-03-2019 6:07pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭

It’s been an age since I’ve taken a taxi in Limerick. My wife is flying back in tomorrow night and is going from Shannon to Limerick City. Just quoted 40-45 from Swift (313131).

Any alternatives?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Sounds about right. The alternative being Bus Eireann

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

FutureGuy wrote:
    It’s been an age since I’ve taken a taxi in Limerick. My wife is flying back in tomorrow night and is going from Shannon to Limerick City. Just quoted 40-45 from Swift (313131).

That's outrageous! You would pay only five euro more to travel from Limerick to Dublin and back on the train. I would take the bus unless you can arrange a lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

FutureGuy wrote: »

Any alternatives?

I would suggest the bus also. Taxi desk is the airport gives a similar price to Swift.

https://www.shannonairport.ie/passengers/to-from/airport-taxis/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

All Limerick Taxi's are charging Meter Rates for the past 18 months or so.
    Swift do not charge any Extra's (Call-out fee, extra passengers, etc) so they would seem to be the best value.
    Remember that Taxi fares are a bit dearer during the 'peak hours'....8pm to 8am.
    As long as the driver has the Meter running and does not just make up a figure then she will be charged what the NTA has decided is a fair price.

If the driver does not use the Meter then she owes him nothing, as she is only obliged to pay the amount shown on the Meter.

chicorytip wrote: »
    That's outrageous! You would pay only five euro more to travel from Limerick to Dublin and back on the train. I would take the bus unless you can arrange a lift.

I once got a Taxi to take me from one side of Puerto del Carmen in Lanzarote to the other. It only cost €4.50.
    I can also get the 'Green Bus' up to Dublin and back, twice for €50.
    But these prices have nothing to do with the OP's Query either :rolleyes:.
    He asked about a Taxi Fare from Shannon Airport to Limerick City at Night. He got an estimate from a Taxi Company. If you go on to the Transport for Ireland's Taxi Fare Estimator site it will come back with an estimate of €48.80 to €65.20....so it seem the quote from Swift compares quite favourably with the Government's own Estimate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Last time i tried calling a cab,no one answered, so I used the mytaxi app now and it's perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

mgbgt1978 wrote:
    I once got a Taxi to take me from one side of Puerto del Carmen in Lanzarote to the other. It only cost €4.50. I can also get the 'Green Bus' up to Dublin and back, twice for €50. But these prices have nothing to do with the OP's Query either . He asked about a Taxi Fare from Shannon Airport to Limerick City at Night. He got an estimate from a Taxi Company. If you go on to the Transport for Ireland's Taxi Fare Estimator site it will come back with an estimate of €48.80 to €65.20....so it seem the quote from Swift compares quite favourably with the Government's own Estimate.

Yes, of course, that's all fair enough. I just referenced the train to highlight the extraordinary premium Irish taxi users must pay for, admittedly, a little bit more convenience and comfort.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Well the driver has to drive out and wait at the airport then return

chicorytip wrote: »
    Yes, of course, that's all fair enough. I just referenced the train to highlight the extraordinary premium Irish taxi users must pay for, admittedly, a little bit more convenience and comfort.

We're on a par with most of Spain, cheaper than France and the UK....so it's hardly an "extraordinary premium" in fairness.
    Don't forget that Irish Rail (who you referenced ) are subsidised by the State. So we are all paying for everybody's Trip by Train ;).

Advertisement