Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Full Driving Licence

Options
  • 23-03-2019 7:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi folks!

I was just wondering if you need a full driving licence to join ASG? how does it work if you don't have it? How do you do all the driving lessons in the College?

Do they have driving school? Can you do your full licence there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,764 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

You don't need your licence and you don't do any driving course while you're training.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭FIVE.0

snap! wrote: »
    Hi folks!

I was just wondering if you need a full driving licence to join ASG? how does it work if you don't have it? How do you do all the driving lessons in the College?

Do they have driving school? Can you do your full licence there?

You don’t need a drivers licence to join. If you don’t have one you won’t be able to do the driving courses. It’s up to you to get it yourself.
    Driving courses are offered to memebers that are in the force 18 months onwards with a licence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 snap!

thank you very much :)

watching the video "Garda Training" made me think there's also driving training while the video starts with it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭FIVE.0

thank you very much :)

watching the video "Garda Training" made me think there's also driving training while the video starts with it :D

Yea the do have driving courses in the college but there is no driving when your in for the first 34 weeks. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 snap!

what about bike?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭bottar1

what about bike?

Yeah curious about this too. If you want to ride the motorcycle do you need to first get an A license yourself? I might start working on that if that is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 PhatBoyDim

bottar1 wrote: »
    Yeah curious about this too. If you want to ride the motorcycle do you need to first get an A license yourself? I might start working on that if that is the case.

I did some motorcycle training in templemore a few years ago. The garda motorcycle instructors were saying that the garda recruits don't need to have a motorcycle license (they might need to have a car licence, can't remember). They are all treated the same and start from scratch as beginners. Also they don't do a motorcylce "driving" test at the end. Basically the instructor signs them off based on the duration of the course and if they are good enough, which is obviously to a higher standard than civilan motorcyclists. Procedure may have changed now though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭bottar1

PhatBoyDim wrote: »
    I did some motorcycle training in templemore a few years ago. The garda motorcycle instructors were saying that the garda recruits don't need to have a motorcycle license (they might need to have a car licence, can't remember). They are all treated the same and start from scratch as beginners. Also they don't do a motorcylce "driving" test at the end. Basically the instructor signs them off based on the duration of the course and if they are good enough, which is obviously to a higher standard than civilan motorcyclists. Procedure may have changed now though.

Interesting! Oh well, I'd like to have a motorcycle license anyway for myself. Might look into getting it. Have the car license.

Advertisement