Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toyota Hilux private tax rate

Options
  • 23-03-2019 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hey!

I want to buy a new Toyota Hilux but I'm not sure what the tax will be on it.

People have told me it'll cost 999euro or something because its private and its 333 for commercial tax...

I want it to do a few odd jobs and transport my Kayaking equipment and things. I also have kids with hobbies or would be handy for.

Do I really have to pay a thousand Euro a year just to tax it??
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Jocnic wrote: »
    Hey!

I want to buy a new Toyota Hilux but I'm not sure what the tax will be on it.

People have told me it'll cost 999euro or something because its private and its 333 for commercial tax...

I want it to do a few odd jobs and transport my Kayaking equipment and things. I also have kids with hobbies or would be handy for.

Do I really have to pay a thousand Euro a year just to tax it??

The 2.8 litre engine attracts annual private motor tax on 1400 euro.

You may also wish to see if you can get insurance too. Not as easy to insure as a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,875 ✭✭✭✭elperello

This is Ireland, you are not allowed to have nice things!

Seriously though you might find that a campervan which will have low tax and insurance will fit the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Jocnic

Pkiernan wrote: »
    The 2.8 litre engine attracts annual private motor tax on 1400 euro.

You may also wish to see if you can get insurance too. Not as easy to insure as a car.

1400.....rip off Ireland strikes again!

elperello wrote: »
    This is Ireland, you are not allowed to have nice things!

Seriously though you might find that a campervan which will have low tax and insurance will fit the bill.

I had thought of a camper and I'd love to get one someday but it just wouldn't suit right now.

I want to be able to do odd jobs and that requires a keep or pickup. Maybe a hybrid jeep is the way to go

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

If buying brand new you can talk to the dealer about paying VRT category A which would then mean co2 emissions on the motor Tax end

• Advertisement

ianob7 wrote: »
    If buying brand new you can talk to the dealer about paying VRT category A which would then mean co2 emissions on the motor Tax end

How does that work? The Hilux would be taxed on its co2 emissions instead of its engine size??

• Registered Users Posts: 73,450 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

ianob7 wrote: »

Why would anyone willingly pay more VRT?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Why would anyone willingly pay more VRT?

If it meant saving on the tax yearly id consider it

Jocnic wrote: »
    If it meant saving on the tax yearly id consider it

Supposing you could register it as a car, the Co2 emissions are 185g/km which would put it in the €750 tax bracket. The VRT would be 30% instead of 13.3% which would mean €12000 instead of €5500.

Then you have the issue of it not being able to be reclassified as a crewcab down the road.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Supposing you could register it as a car, the Co2 emissions are 185g/km which would put it in the €750 tax bracket. The VRT would be 30% instead of 13.3% which would mean €12000 instead of €5500.

Then you have the issue of it not being able to be reclassified as a crewcab down the road.

I've been talking to a dealership and they pretty much said the same. Thanks for the help everyone

• Advertisement

There are probably other vehicles that are suited to what you need. I’d look at the Transit Connect crewcab, it has a sliding bulkhead and folding rear seats. Obviously it’s no good off road but it would be far more economical and cheaper to tax.

Even something like a Ford Galaxy should be considered.

Advertisement