Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit money while abroad

• 24-03-2019 4:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

How do it lodge money into my Irish bank account while abroad? I don’t have a foreign bank account - only an Irish one. I believe it’s not possible just to make a lodgement at an atm like it is in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Bazz1234 wrote: »
    How do it lodge money into my Irish bank account while abroad? I don’t have a foreign bank account - only an Irish one. I believe it’s not possible just to make a lodgement at an atm like it is in Ireland?

no idea about Foreign ATM's but your options might include
    • Post the Cash to your branch (or trusted friend).
    • Get someone in Ireland to lodge imoney in your account, and pay them back later.
    • Give it to someone "foreign" to lodge it, then transfer to your account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Depending on the country you are in, local post offices might have a facility to issue a fund transfer to any SEPA account in exchange for a cash payment. Expect a fee going from a few euros to a few tens of euros depending on how much you are transferring, and I guess it is obvious but they won’t handle amounts over a few thousand euros so don’t show up at the post office with a suitcase full of cash :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Western Union and Moneygram do it but it's going to cost you large fees.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

What is the source of the cash and what kind of amounts are you talking about? In most cases you should be able to ask the payer to pay the money directly into your bank.

Money laundering rules make it pretty well impossible at this stage to lodge cash directly into an account from abroad.

You could use something like Western Union to send money back to someone in Ireland, but even then you can’t just rock up and expect to send 10k with no questions asked.

Advertisement