Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What practice/beliefs make you instantly lose respect for someone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Homeopathy

For me its chemtrails..

For those that haven't seen the homeopathy A & E here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMGIbOGu8q0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Any view that rejects democracy or the democratically expressed will of the people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

'There's a higher being', that's it for me. You utter those words you're an idiot in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭emilymemily

Racists, Sexists, Homophobics, people who look down on homeless people, people on the dole, people with addictions and poor people.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Sneak

People that point out speling mistakes

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭yesto24

I have to deal with my in laws through gritted teeth. The stereo typical Brexit voter

1. White
    2. Baby boomer generation retirees
    3. Blatant racists/bigots
    4. Daily Mail readers;
    5. Smokers despite cancer surgery
    6. The mother in law has never paid a penny in personal tax in her life- the odd cash in hand cleaning jobs but yet is happy to milk the NHS and rant about emigrants.
    7. Will not leave the country (as in England)
    8. Pasta and garlic bread is foreign muck- honestly.
    9. Passing judgement on our high mortgage even though they were handed a Council house in 1970s so our generation is screwed by house builders- they havent got a fcking clue
    10. They believe any old rubbish they read in the Daily Mail.

The are so fcuking small and vanilla it's untrue. Other than that they are grand.

I just console myself knowing that their ongoing health problems has a silver lining and my wife just has just one other sibling so their inheritance will go a long way to paying off our mortgage. Bonus.

What's wrong with you?

I am only assuming here but since you mentioned Brexit that you are referring to the UK.
    You call out these people for being white.
    In the UK? A majority white country?
    Why do you have white guilt?
    And the you use the term vanilla, a stupid American import.
    And ironically refering to a plant not from the UK, some of the foreign muck term you used to put your in-laws down.
    If you didn't mention the term in-laws and wife I would have put you down for someone in their teens, at least then you would have an excuse for your stupidity.
    But you did and from that I get you are married and would have to put your age at least at 27. I would expect a bit better for your argument.
    Instead we got a load of slurs and insults based on their age and race both things no one can change.
    I am not saying you are wrong but you just attacked some people using racism and ageism while trying to signal how virtuous and open minded you are.
    Amusing and disappointing at the same time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Sneak wrote: »
    People that point out speling mistakes

Touché.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭kyote00

tattoo's and/or tracksuits (unless in the gym)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭emilymemily

Not a practice or belief but makes me lose respect all the same - People who write the word 'period' at the end of a sentence or before a full stop. Why do they do this?
    Its mostly an American thing but I see it all the time in comment sections. I immediately think the poster is an idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

When someone insists that the fast lane on a motorway is called the 'overtaking lane', I lose whatever respect I might have had for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Zirconia
    Boycott Israeli Goods & Services

denismc wrote: »
    People who can't spell immersion :D
    Maybe he's not a fan of Emersion Lake and Palmer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

someone who doesn't buy their round in the pub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

People who don't wash their hands after using the toilet.

When someone insists that the fast lane on a motorway is called the 'overtaking lane', I lose whatever respect I might have had for them.

They don't know what they're missing.

Life in the overtaking lane just doesn't have the same ring as life in the fast lane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Sneak wrote: »
    People that point out speling mistakes.

I fixed that missing full stop for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

People who say their just being honest or being "real" when actually their just being a rude co ck.

Lads that go on an on about their sex life women they pulled etc. or who can't help comment on every girl they see in the pub. Very immature. You had sex great for you, so have most adults no need to go on and on about it. Similar people who mention how drunk they got last night and act like it makes them a legend especially if their out of college, grow up FFS.

Women who buy garbage magazines like "OK". If that's what you choose to read chances are we aren't having many meaningful conversations.

Joke police, seriously when did some people become such joyless fcukwits. Just accept that some jokes might talk about dark topics it doesn't mean the person making the joke actually holds those beliefs.

Anyone who during a debate or discussion starts a sentence with "As a (insert supposed oppressed people). If you need to play any kind of victim card then your point is probably not a good one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Vienna Shy Cobble

People who use Snapchat to document every little detail of their lives. It’s lost on me

its more Instagram nowadays I find that happens,, like I've no problem people putting pics of nights out on it but when its 500 pics/stories on a night out its so irritating for example this one im mates with keeps doing ten story updates if she's wishing a friend a happy birthday, or when she's like going to the chipper or hairdresser or on nights out and documenting every bleeding little thing she does and gives a summary/synopsis of what happened that night/meal/hairdresser trip..im wondering does she (and others too-not picking on her but a lot of females I know keep insisting on documenting every part of the experience) get off the phone when shes on a night out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

branie2 wrote: »
    People who don't wash their hands after using the toilet.

Thats me...

If the tap's not automatic, no way am I touching that filthy thing, think about it, its got the germs from a million cocks on it..

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Teepinaw

Small talk.
    I despise small talk.
    Especially at work.
    I don't want to chat to you about my weekend, your weekend, the weather at the weekend, your brother's party at the weekend.

Tell me a joke instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Teepinaw

kyote00 wrote: »
    tattoo's and/or tracksuits (unless in the gym)

What is it about tattoos that you don't like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Anyone who puts even a shred of faith in:

Astrology
    Homeopathy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

NIMAN wrote: »

Astrology
    Homeopathy

The royal family are big into Homeopathy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Dr Brown wrote: »
    The royal family are big into Homeopathy.

Exactly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Vienna Shy Cobble

Teepinaw wrote: »
    Small talk.
    I despise small talk.
    Especially at work.
    I don't want to chat to you about my weekend, your weekend, the weather at the weekend, your brother's party at the weekend.

Tell me a joke instead.

or talking about their damn kids,,,, I don't care you took them to the 400 things you take them to or they said something "funny"....your not the only person to have kids, your/they're not special

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Teepinaw wrote: »
    What is it about tattoos that you don't like?

It would be a two factor thing for me : the sense of it being a mutilation and spoiling of the natural body, and, the association of it with people of low intelligence, education, and culture. The two add to a very off putting combination. There are plenty of places where one can display art (not that I would necessarily elevating tattoos to that level), but no need to ruin your skin to do so. Sailors, working class thugs, merchants of violence of all orders, seem to be the type that go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

pgj2015 wrote: »
    someone who doesn't buy their round in the pub.

Someone who when you go out for a drink with them always let's you buy the first round and the last one. I had 2 friends who would do this to me every single time, or should I say ex friends.

For some reason both of these ppl (blokes) carried huge wallets with them. I don't know if this says something about them but I always felt it did somehow related to this penny pinching issue.

My ex left me for a guy she met on World of Warcraft last year.:rolleyes:

Clearing out her stuff I found all these Tarot card readings diaries. Stuff like:

26 July
    Embrace new relationships. Avoid salads. Chocolate should taste sweeter this week.

If Scarlet Johansen matches with me on tinder then told me she was into tarot reading, she'd be shown the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Tattoos especially women with tattoos.

Now I will gladly shag a women with tattoos as I am an equal opportunity shagger and to be honest I would have a lot more barren times if I avoided women with tattoos but I ain't walking down the aisle with you.

Sorry I don't care how artful and/or tasteful you think they are.

Tramp stamps all day long.

ps Not too gone on men with tattoos either but I am not likely to be in a relationship with a man anytime soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

ps Not too gone on men with tattoos either but I am not likely to be in a relationship with a man anytime soon.

No, not with that attitude you won't;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    Thats me...

If the tap's not automatic, no way am I touching that filthy thing, think about it, its got the germs from a million cocks on it..

So does your sisters arse.

Was your damn hands you knacker:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

People who play world of warcraft should be on the list too.

Now to be fair I've known some people who play the game and have a life but the game is incredibly demanding on your time and it's designed to be. That's why I've also known many people who play it who have no life except for the game.

yesto24 wrote: »
    What's wrong with you?

I am only assuming here but since you mentioned Brexit that you are referring to the UK.
    You call out these people for being white.
    In the UK? A majority white country?
    Why do you have white guilt?
    And the you use the term vanilla, a stupid American import.
    And ironically refering to a plant not from the UK, some of the foreign muck term you used to put your in-laws down.
    If you didn't mention the term in-laws and wife I would have put you down for someone in their teens, at least then you would have an excuse for your stupidity.
    But you did and from that I get you are married and would have to put your age at least at 27. I would expect a bit better for your argument.
    Instead we got a load of slurs and insults based on their age and race both things no one can change.
    I am not saying you are wrong but you just attacked some people using racism and ageism while trying to signal how virtuous and open minded you are.
    Amusing and disappointing at the same time

I 'call out these people' (to use another 'stupid' American import) because they are stereotypical Brexit voters. I am intolerant because they are intellectually lazy.

Your sentence that my refering to 'vanilla' as ironic is just plain bizarre.

Why 27 as opposed to 26 or 28 or 57? Random generalisation as is my stereotyping.

If you are going to get indignant about posts on this particular thread you are in for a lot of amusement and disappointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

Anyone who is a member of the Orange order is immediately out.

Same goes for marching bands, parades, flag waving, nationalism of any kind.

Brexiters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Clearing out her stuff I found all these Tarot card readings diaries. Stuff like:

26 July
    Embrace new relationships. Avoid salads. Chocolate should taste sweeter this week.

If Scarlet Johansen matches with me on tinder then told me she was into tarot reading, she'd be shown the door.
    I presume the bedroom door.

Just a FYI:
    scarlett-johansson-looks-ravishing-in-this-picture-201704-1497692810-300x300.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

Anyone who uses either of these expressions:

"Simple as"

"End of"

Go straight to gob****e, do not pass Go, do not collect £200.

She could be into meter-reading for all I care. It's all good Scarlet, don't mind him, just PM me your number...

Surely you would take one for the team.

I can see the headlines:

Mr High Moral Ground Andy and serial masterbater says: "I ditched Scarlet Johanson because she was onto tarot cards.":D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

storker wrote: »
    Anyone who uses either of these expressions:

"Simple as"

"End of"

Go straight to gob****e, do not pass Go, do not collect £200.

"simples"

Grayson wrote: »
    "simples"

I'll forgive "Simples" because it's a jokey meerkat reference, whereas the others are just wanky ways to make the speaker sound more "right".

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭LandoCalrissian

People who cant understand why you don't love dogs/cats

Some people are just like how can you not love dogs - "whats wrong with you"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Spitting in public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭wyf437gn6btzue

people who use the word "lad" to address and reference their peers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Anyone who says "do not pass Go, do not collect £200." and they're not reading a chance card while playing monopoly

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

Smokers

Cienciano wrote: »
    Anyone who says "do not pass Go, do not collect £200." and they're not reading a chance card while playing monopoly

Heh, heh. I guess I touched a nerve... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

NIMAN wrote: »

Astrology
    Homeopathy

..... and how could I forget those who believe mediums are really talking to the dead.

Idiots of the highest order.

I had a complete gob****e where I used to work say...now I have never written this word so bear with me..

"Fairenoughski"

5 times a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

People who say "guys" when addressing a group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

People who make other people feel bad for liking or being excited about something. Well, within reason.

People whose only type of humour involves putting other people down, to their face and especially behind their back.

People who are dicks to service staff.

Excessive selfies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I had a complete gob****e where I used to work say...now I have never written this word so bear with me..

"Fairenoughski"

5 times a day.
    That sounds like a phrase you'd give to a character from a sitcom to make him seem annoying

Advertisement