Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fuse box RCD types

Options
  • 24-03-2019 10:55am
    Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all. We're planning on having our ESB meter box moved from inside the house, to outside, so we need an electrician to carry out their part of the move, and certify the house.

I had one call over a few days ago, and he mentioned that the fuses on our fuse board are "type A", and as part of the certification he would need to upgrade them all to "type B" (or it's his ass on the line if ESB inspect). I know very little, but from what I've been learning, RCDs are of type AC, A, F and B (https://www.hager.co.uk/news-exhibitions-case-studies/18th-edition/selection-of-type-of-rcd/90066.htm), and that a Type B isn't required for our plugs, lights etc.
    Looking at our fusebox (again with limited knowledge) are they not MCBs? Which from what i've gathered, I don't see a Type A MCB.

So it's left me confused. Are our fuses MCBs? What type (A, B, etc) are they? Should they be upgraded (and to what)?

Here's a pic of part of my board.
    J6p-OBfu31onz-RF7-Mg8-Eft-C-AI-JIu-Ra-RM5fyif-Q7-Mp-Zc-UPYYU-Si-Gl3-Fc-OCj-Ogt0-Gv6-K01-Jc7-Wiu-M9-PLhz5-TIZx-KFw-I3j-FPp-Pwz-DIc43-Iddkbd-I-vh-F0-Z8gf-HL6ss-Yrp1h92-XK-Ima-Pw-r9-OXvr-Y1-Okpm-YPKK0e-Vzc-PBcgw-M-YHXy-Nd-Jf-OM4jl1-Cs-PR0f-Xu-Wauq-MIzc-KA4-U3-X7-XGQv204-AE1-6-YVMHra-Kp-O2riy8-Nc-HBZXe-OBSDRd1-M1-GCxgv-G.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

He's referring to the MCBs rather than RCDs. Type B of I.S. EN 60898 is roughly equivalent to Type A of BS 3871 (not sure of I.S. number).

Advertisement