Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drink driving-virtue signaling gone mad

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Why are people so confident that an accurate breathalyzer can’t be bought by a consumer? They are a fairly simple device and no reason you can have a very accurate reading from one you buy yourself.

Sure what would be the point in the French rule of having to carry one if they are so wildly inaccurate?
    It's not saying that they don't exist, it's being confident that the one you have in your hand as you blow it is calibrated accurately then and there. Even the ones the Gardaí have can't be relied on for evidence and they cost multiples of the Halfords one and are regularly calibrated, that says a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Sure even if my expensive device is within +/- 10% of the machine at the station I should still be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Killinator

Sure even if my expensive device is within +/- 10% of the machine at the station I should still be grand.

But the process of getting arrested and brought to station can be extremely upsetting and embarrassing which is still what happens if you fail the roadside test, so yeah passing the evidenzer is fine but it'll still ruin your day/night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Killinator wrote: »
    But the process of getting arrested and brought to station can be extremely upsetting and embarrassing which is still what happens if you fail the roadside test, so yeah passing the evidenzer is fine but it'll still ruin your day/night

You'd be worse off, and more embarrassed if you failed both though :)

Killinator wrote: »

I neither be upset or embarrassed, I'd be pissed off that my device was reading different than the gardai roadside one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Bought a alcohol tester in Halfords for over €120. More accurate than the Gardai use I was told. Had 5 pints of Guinness beteen 8-10:30. Got a sandwich when I came home as I had not eaten since around 2pm.

Measured myself at 11:30 and was 0.62 which is over as limit is 0.5. By 1am I was 0.5 which is ok. Read myself again at 7am and device registered 0.11 or 0 alcohol. It doesn't register below 0.11.

Fools and their money eh?

rizzodun wrote: »
    Fools and their money eh?

What’s wrong with a person wanting to know if they are under/over the limit?

Not everyone has the time or inclination to often needlessly hang around for hours and hours or even a day after a few drinks/night out and being able to test yourself and make know when you are under the limit so that you can drive is very very useful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭hynesie08

If only there was some way to Guarentee you were under the limit without needing a breathalyser........

If only....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Not everyone has the time or inclination to often needlessly hang around for hours and hours or even a day after a few drinks/night out and being able to test yourself and make know when you are under the limit so that you can drive is very very useful.

I agree 100%

I don't have the time to needlessly hang around for hours after a night out.

So I either:
    A. Don't drink
    B. Don't plan anything that requires me to drive a car at any stage where I may be over the limit.

The fact people think they need drink to enjoy themselves so much that they'll put faith in a 120 quid over the counter breath tester is madness if you ask me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Killinator

I neither be upset or embarrassed, I'd be pissed off that my device was reading different than the gardai roadside one.

Fair enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

hynesie08 wrote: »
    If only there was some way to Guarentee you were under the limit without needing a breathalyser........

If only....

It's very simplistic to say either 'never drink' or 'wait 24 hours until you drive'.

Most people recognize that without wanting someone to give them the authority to drink and drive. And, if you're going to say 'if you have any doubt, then you're too drunk to drive' then remember that many people were convinced that they were below the limit whether of an evening or the morning after, they felt fine, but found that they were over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

It's Halfords. They typically sell overpriced ****e.

hynesie08 wrote: »

If only....

Why should a person have to not drink if they can ensure they are under the limit before driving? I certainly don't see "not drinking" as an option as drinking is too much a part of my social life and I also don't have the time or desire to just not drive "incase" so the obvious solution is to be able to test yourself.

The misplaced hyphen in the thread title is giving me a migraine. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

The misplaced hyphen in the thread title is giving me a migraine. :(

Thanks ! Now I can't-un see it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Why should a person have to not drink if they can ensure they are under the limit before driving? I certainly don't see "not drinking" as an option as drinking is too much a part of my social life and I also don't have the time or desire to just not drive "incase" so the obvious solution is to be able to test yourself.

Says it all really......

Absolutely the limit is there, if you are below it happy days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

I don't see the problem with having 3-4 pints and then taking to the wheel, I'm a big lad and can easily handle that but I don't do it because it's not worth the risk.

It's a shame that a few idiots take to the wheel bananas drunk and cause these horrible accidents but to lump everybody into the same boat is not right either.

I don't see the problem with having 3-4 pints and then taking to the wheel, I'm a big lad and can easily handle that but I don't do it because it's not worth the risk.

It's a shame that a few idiots take to the wheel bananas drunk and cause these horrible accidents but to lump everybody into the same boat is not right either.

It's also idiots like you who cause these accidents. Drinking four pints and thinking it doesn't affect your reaction time, just because you're a "big lad".

• Advertisement

Effects wrote: »
    It's also idiots like you who cause these accidents. Drinking four pints and thinking it doesn't affect your reaction time, just because you're a "big lad".

Just said I don't drink and drive and I've never caused a crash in my life so you owe me an apology.

I enjoy a few pints, but I would never risk my licence for any number of drinks, it's not worth that much to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

I find it’s a very emotive topic and people tend to disregard logic and probability when discussing it.

I am technically more likely to cause an accident by scratching my balls or putting on sun glasses, personally I feel driving with 2-3 pints would increase the chance of an accident about the same.

If you are such a bad driver that 2 pints makes you a dead cert murderous missile on wheels well, I dunno...

Just said I don't drink and drive and I've never caused a crash in my life so you owe me an apology.

I enjoy a few pints, but I would never risk my licence for any number of drinks, it's not worth that much to me.

How do you figure I owe you an apology? You pretty much said it's ok to drink four pints and then drive.

Perhaps you should apologise to me? I won't accept your apology, but you can make one anyway.

Effects wrote: »
    How do you figure I owe you an apology? You pretty much said it's ok to drink four pints and then drive.

Perhaps you should apologise to me? I won't accept your apology, but you can make one anyway.

That's a strange way of saying sorry Effects, but it's ok I forgive you anyway, I'm cool like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I find it’s a very emotive topic and people tend to disregard logic and probability when discussing it.

I am technically more likely to cause an accident by scratching my balls or putting on sun glasses, personally I feel driving with 2-3 pints would increase the chance of an accident about the same.

If you are such a bad driver that 2 pints makes you a dead cert murderous missile on wheels well, I dunno...
    You're right, they tend to disregard well established facts and proven statistics and value their gut feelings above all else in order to justify those few extra pints or not taking a safer form of transport when they've had a few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Another thing that I think contributes to accidents - overconfident drivers. So many people overestimate their abilities. The bolded is scary - “I’m such a good driver, alcohol doesn’t impair me”.

And why do people engage in whataboutery? Yes, talking on your phone or whatever whilst driving is also dangerous. And?

Another thing that I think contributes to accidents - overconfident drivers. So many people overestimate their abilities. The bolded is scary - “I’m such a good driver, alcohol doesn’t impair me”.

And why do people engage in whataboutery? Yes, talking on your phone or whatever whilst driving is also dangerous. And?

A little alcohol doesn’t impair me to make me a killing machine is more accurate! Like I said, people get emotional.

How is whataboutery to compare relative probabilities of various activities?

For the record, I have never touched a drop and drove because I can’t lose my licence.

TheChizler wrote: »
    You're right, they tend to disregard well established facts and proven statistics and value their gut feelings above all else in order to justify those few extra pints or not taking a safer form of transport when they've had a few.

Give me one fact or statistic and I will give you a non-emotional appraisal.

https://alcoholireland.ie/facts/alcohol-and-driving/

Just another interesting thing to note.

According to Alcohol Ireland, alcohol was present in 38% of road fatalities, this means that at least 62% of fatalities were caused by sober drivers.

Were need to stop these bloody sober drivers quick!

• Advertisement

If you can’t drive a car safely after 2 pints then you can’t drive in the first place imo and shouldn’t be on the road.

According to Alcohol Ireland, alcohol was present in 38% of road fatalities, this means that at least 62% of fatalities were caused by sober drivers.

Most of the 38% being pedestrians who got ran over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Dont worry about risking the lives of others or anything - just your licence!!

Dont worry about risking the lives of others or anything - just your licence!!

Well ye, if I lose my licence then I'll lose my job and then I'll be on the dole which will risk other people's lives because I'll be taking public money that could be better used elsewhere.

So by protecting my licence I am protecting others, you're welcome.

Well ye, if I lose my licence then I'll lose my job and then I'll be on the dole which will risk other people's lives because I'll be taking public money that could be better used elsewhere.

So by protecting my licence I am protecting others, you're welcome.

Are you drinking now? I hope so.

Are you drinking now? I hope so.

If I lose my licence, then I lose my job which negatively effects others, simples.

Are you having difficulty with anything else? I'm more than happy to assist if you are.

If I lose my licence, then I lose my job which negatively effects others, simples.

Are you having difficulty with anything else? I'm more than happy to assist if you are.

Could you shed any light on how you've managed to become such an unfathomable gob****e?

D'ya reckon it's biologically determined or can we put this one down to your upbringing?

• Advertisement

Could you shed any light on how you've managed to become such an unfathomable gob****e?

D'ya reckon it's biologically determined or can we put this one down to your upbringing?

Ah I don't know much about biology I'm afraid, save for the fact that I can consume 4 pints and still feel 100%, that's kind of biology.

I had quite a nice upbringing actually, on a farm, I was always taught to have manners and respect to.

But enough about little ole me. How bout you? Do you like a drink?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Most of the 38% being pedestrians who got ran over.
    Eh...no. That 62% means neither the driver nor anyone else involved had taken any alcohol.
    Of the 38%, a good few of them would have been pedestrians walking home from the pub because they didn't want to risk losing their license. Might have been walking home in a very safe manner too, and just got hit by someone who wasn't watching the road properly. Still counts as "alcohol involved" though.

recedite wrote: »
    Eh...no. That 62% means neither the driver nor anyone else involved had taken any alcohol.
    Of the 38%, a good few of them would have been pedestrians walking home from the pub because they didn't want to risk losing their license. Might have been walking home in a very safe manner too, and just got hit by someone who wasn't watching the road properly. Still counts as "alcohol involved" though.

But this is the thing, apparenlty alcohol was present in 38% of cases. Now even if we take that figure to be true, how do we know that alcohol actually caused those accidents? In a certain amount of crashes it may just be incidental.

A certain percent could have easily been caused by a sober driver hitting someone who had 1 or 2 pints. Who gets the blame in that instance?

Ps, under no circumstances do I condon anybody taking to the wheel blind drunk though, that's highly dangerous for obvious reasons.

recedite wrote: »

Not sure if you are misinterpreting my post. The stat says 38% of fatal crashes has alcohol present (they don’t even say it was to blame), it that 38% a lot will have been pedestrians and not drivers with drink so the stat for drives with alcohol taken involved in a fatal crash will be a lot lower and of those the ones where alcohol was to blame will be smaller again.

Not sure if you are misinterpreting my post. The stat says 38% of fatal crashes has alcohol present (they don’t even say it was to blame), it that 38% a lot will have been pedestrians and not drivers with drink so the stat for drives with alcohol taken involved in a fatal crash will be a lot lower and of those the ones where alcohol was to blame will be smaller again.
    Sorry, yes, I picked you up wrong there. I agree with you on that.

• Advertisement

Ah I don't know much about biology I'm afraid, save for the fact that I can consume 4 pints and still feel 100%, that's kind of biology.

Except it isn't. You are not going to be at 100% alertness after 4 pints, and neither is anywhere else.

Except it isn't. You are not going to be at 100% alertness after 4 pints, and neither is anywhere else.

or after a bad nights sleep, or after an argument or if sick etc etc etc many leaving you in worse state of poor alertness than 4 pints. I've driven while tied and I driven after various numbers of pints and tiredness, proper tiredness that you often hear people drive with (how often do you hear: "god I could hardly keep my eyes open drivig back last night") is miles worse than 4 pints (even more). After the few pints you are fully awake and most likley being extra cautious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

or after a bad nights sleep, or after an argument or if sick etc etc etc many leaving you in worse state of poor alertness than 4 pints. I've driven while tied and I driven after various numbers of pints and tiredness, proper tiredness that you often hear people drive with (how often do you hear: "god I could hardly keep my eyes open drivig back last night") is miles worse than 4 pints (even more). After the few pints you are fully awake and most likley being extra cautious.

How many pints do you drive with?

Look I know myself better than you do, so I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree.

sasta le wrote: »
    How many pints do you drive with?

I wouldn’t chance more than 2 anymore with the new limits, 3 on the old limits wouldn’t have bothered me. On a very rare occasion and not a for a long time I drove after a large number of pints I wouldn’t do it now.

To be honest I’ve Probably been over the next morning vastly more than after drinking as being over the next morning wasn’t even something that would enter your head until the last few years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Unfortunately this attitude still exists

I find the alco tester gives you great piece of mind in the mornings.

If I had to drive in the morning and tested myself and was over I wouldn't drive until I was under.

No, but you don't need 100% to be a safe driver.
    Between the overtired drivers, the ones with kids fighting in the back, the speeding ones, the half blind ones etc.. you're probably a better than average driver even at 80% alertness, if taking it handy on the roads you know well.

A little alcohol doesn’t impair me to make me a killing machine is more accurate! Like I said, people get emotional.

How is whataboutery to compare relative probabilities of various activities?

For the record, I have never touched a drop and drove because I can’t lose my licence.

So you can’t test your “bad driver” theory? How convenient. Talk is cheap.
    If you can’t drive a car safely after 2 pints then you can’t drive in the first place imo and shouldn’t be on the road.

Sure thing, bud.

Considering all the different things that can cause accidents, 38% is pretty high. That’s a persuasive statistic in support of strict drink-driving laws, not against it. Of course other things also cause accidents. What do you suggest we do to penalise those who fall asleep at the wheel? My point being, not every cause of a car crash can be detected but we should catch the things that can be caught.

• Advertisement
Advertisement