Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drink driving-virtue signaling gone mad

1789101113»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Graces7 wrote: »
    There are already cars that refuse to start if you are drunk. Story on the news this week of a woman in the US who shot her car when it refused.
    What the yanks really need is a gun that refuses to shoot when the owner is drunk :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

ArrBee wrote: »
    This sort of information/product review is interesting and helpful, thanks.

Ya I think this device is accurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Ya I think this device is accurate.
    How have you independently tested it?

TheChizler wrote: »
    How have you independently tested it?

I'd didn't, the meter is calibrated for a year. I don't get my car's speedo calibrated either. I'm such a fool.

I'd didn't, the meter is calibrated for a year. I don't get my car's speedo calibrated either. I'm such a fool.
    Only one of those things is heavily regulated...

• Advertisement

Only one of those things is heavily regulated...

???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

recedite wrote: »
    What the yanks really need is a gun that refuses to shoot when the owner is drunk :pac:

amen to that.

Maybe one day soon all cars will have that device that detects alcohol in breath and will not start... great idea

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭epicmoe

Maxed-irl wrote: »
    Not according to the government or the radio ads etc . I dont condone someone having a pint and driving home. I worked in a bar and fought with people over it. Ibe walked home rather than take a lift off a friend. But I cant see how someone cant have a few beers at the weekend and sleep and be unable to drive for 16 hours after their last beer. I understand that the calculators are just ass covering but still someone that goes out to commit drink driving after being in the pub cannot be the same as someone who has beers gets a taxi home has a chipper goes asleep wakes up has a coffee and gets in the car clearly the way it has to be dealt with is different.

Di you not hear the recent ads against drinking and walking?
    I am not even kidding.

"don't walk home if you've had a pint"

???
    The car industry is heavily regulated. There are laws about how much a speedo can error by and on what side of the actual speed, i.e. it can never underread, unless you put on massive tyres or something. No such laws around breathalysers.

Also over time with no maintenance and tyres deflate/wear a speedo will tend to overread so you're less likely to break the law accidentally. As the breathalysers lose calibration over time and get less sensitive they'll likely underread so you're more at risk.

I'm sure they're fun to use and work accurately most of the time but I wouldn't be using it for anything more than entertainment value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭xckjoo

The car industry is heavily regulated. There are laws about how much a speedo can error by and on what side of the actual speed, i.e. it can never underread, unless you put on massive tyres or something. No such laws around breathalysers.

Also over time with no maintenance and tyres deflate/wear a speedo will tend to overread so you're less likely to break the law accidentally. As the breathalysers lose calibration over time and get less sensitive they'll likely underread so you're more at risk.

I'm sure they're fun to use and work accurately most of the time but I wouldn't be using it for anything more than entertainment value.
    To be fair Alan has already said in this thread that he's aware of this. Might be back a few pages now

• Advertisement

xckjoo wrote: »
    To be fair Alan has already said in this thread that he's aware of this. Might be back a few pages now
    True, but when people are reading something as a product review which says something is accurate I feel it's a good idea to point out the risk.

Advertisement