Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skincare routine for men - Advice

Options
  • 24-03-2019 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi All,

I'm looking for some advice on products for a skincare routine. I'm a 22 year old male and have fair skin which is a bit oily.
    Currently I only use a moisturiser but I want to take better care of my skin so looking for a full routine.

Facetheory have a build a routine generator on their website and they recommended the following products for me (All of which are by facetheory):

- CLARIFYING CLEANSER (C2)
    - CERA-C PORE REDUCING TONER
    - REGENERATING MOISTURISER M4
    - REGENACALM 2% RETINOL AND VITAMIN C SERUM
    - PINK CLAY AHA FACE MASK

The cost of all these will be €86 but they have a discount for 40% off your first order so will be reduced to around €50.

I'm really clueless about all this, so basically I would like advice on the above products
    - Are all these necessary? & is there anything else I might need?
    - Is Facetheory a good brand?
    - Is it expensive or reasonable?

If all the products are good and recommended, I'd rather purchase it all from this website just for the convenience and the 40% discount.

Apologies for the long post but wanted to give enough details so you can give informed advice.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

I'm a skincare nut and have never heard of this brand. The discount thing makes me extremely wary also, if your products are that good, you can stand behind them and don't need to offer such whopping discounts.

Also, at 22 you don't need a retinol and there's also no SPF there. At 22, prevention is your aim, that's the job of the SPF, especially if you're fair.

My advice would be to go towards brands like La Roche Posay or Kiehls (Kiehls even have a range for men)

It's also really worrying that they're recommending retinols and AHAs but no SPF. Stay away from this brand

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Cleanser and moisturizer is all I use daily. Then a facial scrub weekly.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,201 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Nothing just use sls free shampoos etc. Leave you skin alone. Evolution has sorted most of it for you. Don't have the shower too hot, don't rub it with a towel to dry. Use quantity pillow cases that don't rub your skin at night. If you've food or drink around your mouth clean it off. Sleep enough. Eat right and stay hydrated.
    Get a quality safety razor and a quality shaving cream.
    All these products could be doing more harm than good in the long term.

Nothing just use sls free shampoos etc. Leave you skin alone. Evolution has sorted most of it for you. Don't have the shower too hot, don't rub it with a towel to dry. Use quantity pillow cases that don't rub your skin at night. If you've food or drink around your mouth clean it off. Sleep enough. Eat right and stay hydrated.
    Get a quality safety razor and a quality shaving cream.
    All these products could be doing more harm than good in the long term.

There's some good advice there but I must strongly object to the part about leaving your skin alone and products doing more harm than good. How, exactly? Proper cleansing, moisturizing and protection (SPF) will do wonders for skin. If you believe evolution alone is enough, just look at the weathered skin of someone who has been exposed to the sun with no SPF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,201 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It wouldn't cross my mind when looking at someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 SullieN

I'm a skincare nut and have never heard of this brand. The discount thing makes me extremely wary also, if your products are that good, you can stand behind them and don't need to offer such whopping discounts.

Also, at 22 you don't need a retinol and there's also no SPF there. At 22, prevention is your aim, that's the job of the SPF, especially if you're fair.

My advice would be to go towards brands like La Roche Posay or Kiehls (Kiehls even have a range for men)

I actually purchased the products from facetheory this morning. Although from your post it doesn't sound like a quality brand. I suppose I can return the items and buy other products.

By SPF do you mean something like a moisturiser with SPF in it? Also any products you recommend?

Thanks for the advice btw

Gael23 wrote: »
    Cleanser and moisturizer is all I use daily. Then a facial scrub weekly.

I know nothing about skincare so this seems straightforward. Probably best to keep things simple. Do you recommend any cleansers or moisturisers?

SullieN wrote: »
    I actually purchased the products from facetheory this morning. Although from your post it doesn't sound like a quality brand. I suppose I can return the items and buy other products.

By SPF do you mean something like a moisturiser with SPF in it? Also any products you recommend?

Thanks for the advice btw

SPF is sun protection factor, it's the most important part of any routine, particularly for fair skin. I always go for a separate one. This is a good one and suitable for oily skins:

https://www.boots.ie/vichy-ideal-soleil-mattifying-face-dry-touch-spf50-50ml-10188864

As for FaceTheory products, I've never used them but maybe someone else who has used them could advise!

SPF is sun protection factor, it's the most important part of any routine, particularly for fair skin. I always go for a separate one. This is a good one and suitable for oily skins:

https://www.boots.ie/vichy-ideal-soleil-mattifying-face-dry-touch-spf50-50ml-10188864

As for FaceTheory products, I've never used them but maybe someone else who has used them could advise!

Ok I've done a bit of research and it seems like FaceTheory is a young company and is based in England. Looking at reviews it seems they have good customer service and will give refunds if your not happy with the products. This is one of the websites I read about them http://www.sloanmagazine.com/facetheory/

So I'm not going to return the order, I'll test them out first and see. Also thanks for the advice on the SPF, after a bit of googling I see SPF is important especially when using AHA products.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

SullieN wrote: »
    I know nothing about skincare so this seems straightforward. Probably best to keep things simple. Do you recommend any cleansers or moisturisers?

I used to use Clinique for men face wash and moisturizer but it’s expensive so I’m starting to switch rivals Roche Posay. Not specifically for men but I like it

Advertisement