Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

12k to spend - need suggestions for SUV, estate or crossover etc

• 24-03-2019 4:02pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Posting this for a friend who needs help choosing a car. He wants to keep this for the long haul, preferably 10 years. He's a very large lad so needs something roomy and comfy. Something practical so maybe an suv or estate or similar. He's got 12k max to play with. He would like a crew cab (Commercial with back seats) as already has the insurance from his last one..

Musts:
    Young as possible
    Low mileage
    Reliable / inexpensive to maintain
    Large cab for comfy driving for a large chap
    Cheap to tax and insure
    Get fuel efficiency
    A big boot & Seats that fold flat.

Hybrid maybe?
    Bluetooth connectivity
    Back seats
    A brand that holds its value ie not a Dacia or French.

My advice to him is something japanese - but I really dont know these types of cars at all.

Any suggestions please lads?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

A Ford Kuga would tick those boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ghrghd

Is a brand that holds its value that important? The car will be pretty much worthless as it will be at least 14 years old when he's done with it.

How about a Skoda Octavia or superb estate? Reliable, good value, economy and seem to be loved by many on these forums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

That's some list of requirement for 12k, if I could find a car like that I would buy it myself...

I think you need to take a step back and see what exactly is top and bottom of list. First off what type of vehicle, you mention SUV, estate, Crossover and then a crew cab. So which is it? as his insurance is already with a commercial vehicle then I would guess that is what he has to stick with? if commerical does he have other things which are worth nothing? VAT off?

Also, you want a low mileage vehicle for 12k, what do you classify as low mileage?

Do you mean great fuel efficiency? if so why are you looking at SUV/Crew cab/Crossover? all will be harder on fuel compared to a car.

You want a brand that holds in value, so you want to premium brands which means you pay more, so automatically you will be restricted to older and higher mileage. If the person plans to keep for 10 years then any brand will be written off anyway at that stage so will be close to worthless, so I don't understand why you want it to hold value?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Someone looking to buy a used car and keeping it for 10 years shouldn't really be putting "a brand that holds its value" high on their priority list. All that means is that you are paying strong money up front for something that like most cars will be worth very little anyway 10 years later irrespective of what brand it is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

If looking for a big boot, why SUV and cross overs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭screamer

Don’t think you’ll get all that for 12k. Hybrid for 12 k not a hope.... you’re looking at something like a navara but their Diesel engines are pants. How bout a caddy van, or an older x5..

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks for the replies. He's still trying to figure out the exact requirements so appreciate the guidance. They are more wants than musts really. Yes, brand is less important if he's going to be keeping it for a long time. When he says good fuel efficiency really he wants to avoid something with terrible fuel efficiency...

Skoda Octavia/Superb is definitely a good option. Any others? I was thinking something like a Toyota Rav4 or similar might be a good idea. Thoughts? I think you can't go too wrong with Japanese. What else is worth a look?

Advertisement