Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air tight air vent

Options
  • 24-03-2019 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

Could anyone recommend an air vent cover that is air tight when closed?

I have an air vent in my living room. I understand this is needed as I have a stove fire. When the fire is not on I'd like to close air vent and not have any air or noise coming in.

I've attached a picture of my air vent. When it's closed the is still lots of air coming in. Which is not what I want in winter when trying to heat the house.

20190324-171533.jpg

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,536 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

you are NOT ALLOWED to have a closeable vent in a room with a combustible heat source.

TGD J
    1.2 Air supply to appliances

1.2.1 Each appliance should be:
    (a) room sealed, or
    (b) contained in a room space or compartment
    which has a permanent ventilation opening
    If this opening is to an adjoining room or
    space, then the adjoining room or space
    should have a permanent opening of the
    same size direct to external air. However,
    in the case of fixed appliances designed to
    discharge the products of combustion to
    the room or space in which they are
    located, i.e. fixed flueless appliances, the
    room or space containing the appliance
    should have permanent ventilation
    openings directly to the outside air.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭metricspaces

sydthebeat wrote: »
    you are NOT ALLOWED to have a closeable vent in a room with a combustible heat source.

TGD J

The quote mentions a "fixed flueless appliances". My stove fire has a flue, it is not discharging combustion fumes into the room.

This is a 2017 build house which came with the stove fire, flue, and existing closeable air vent. Assuming all building regulation compliant.

I already have a closeable vent, I am looking for suggestions of ones that are actually air tight when closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Odelay

What about this bit?

(a) room sealed, or

What is room sealed?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Odelay wrote: »
    What about this bit?

(a) room sealed, or

What is room sealed?

As in not drawing air from the room (so an external air supply), and closed combustion chamber and flue, (a stove basically but not an open fire)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭wizardman

From your picture it appears the stove takes air for combustion through that vent from the outside. You must have a permanent air supply and a non closable vent. The current vent is incorrect and must be made non closable / fixed in the open position or replaced.

You could potentially without an adequate air supply create carbon monoxide leading to possible fatality. You should by law also have a carbon monoxide detector.

• Advertisement

So, any recommendations of vents that are actually air tight when closed :) ?

So, any recommendations of vents that are actually air tight when closed :) ?

I don't think you understand the seriousness of the air vent.

wizardman wrote: »
    I don't think you understand the seriousness of the air vent.

I do understand. It only applies when fire is actually in use though, which is almost never. I also have a carbo monoxide detector.

I live in an area of high winds and want to be able to close the vent during high winds, of course when the fire is not on.

Are there any air tight vents people would recommend?

No, because in your case fitting one would be illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

That's not the point. A closeable vent would be fail deadly because, sooner or later, someone will light the stove and forget to open the vent, or someone will close the vent with the fire on. Then the stove cannot draw enough combustion air and may smoke and release CO into the room and then you are relying solely on the alarm to keep you safe.

Excuse the pun but you are playing with fire my friend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Odelay

That's not the point. A closeable vent would be fail deadly because, sooner or later, someone will light the stove and forget to open the vent, or someone will close the vent with the fire on. Then the stove cannot draw enough combustion air and may smoke and release CO into the room and then you are relying solely on the alarm to keep you safe.

Excuse the pun but you are playing with fire my friend.

That is a very good point. It’s all well and good until someone not familiar with the situation lights the fire.

, sooner or later, someone will light the stove and forget to open the ven.

Yeah fair enough point!

Is there anything I can put on the vent to reduce draught (and ideally noise)?

If my stove had an external air supply then I could get rid of this vent right? What would it take to retrofit an external air supply?

Yeah fair enough point!

Is there anything I can put on the vent to reduce draught (and ideally noise)?

Something like this?

http://rts.vents.co.uk/blog/product-details/ac10hpcw-rytons-cowled-125mm-aircore-with-controllable-lookryt-panel/

If my stove had an external air supply then I could get rid of this vent right? What would it take to retrofit an external air supply?

Could be awkward.

First off the stove needs to have the facility to receive extrenal air intake. If not your looking at a new stove.

Works wise, you need an inlet pipe at least equal in area to the outlet to flue.
    Usually these pipes are embedded in the concrete floor during construction.

If the stove is on an external wall this might be handy to drill...however you would probably need to come up under the stove, so height could be an issue too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Yup, usually something like a 4 or 5 inch plastic pipe under the floor coming up under the stove.. And then fitting it... Your stóve will need to be compatable with having an external air supply..

Basically it'll cost a fortune, for something you don't use often..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

I do understand. It only applies when fire is actually in use though, which is almost never. I also have a carbo monoxide detector.

I live in an area of high winds and want to be able to close the vent during high winds, of course when the fire is not on.

No it doesn't only apply when the stove is in use. A permanent fixed air supply. Can't be any clearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭dathi

no the non closable vent is taken from "part J of building regulations heat producing appliances," which says you must have a non closable vent ,if you replace this with an external air supply to your stove you would still have to comply with "part F ventilation", of the building regulations requiring ventilation in the room

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Or black hole vent.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Is this for your new build?

Is your provisional BER (Part L compliance) working with natural ventilation?

Or

are you retro-fitting 6’’ holes in to an existing house?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I used to live in an apartment with the bedrooms east facing. Gales were blowing in some times through one of those quite useless closeable vents. A sheet of A4 paper slid down behind it sorted the issue on the windy nights.

BryanF wrote: »

Or

Don't call it a provisional BER!!!!!!!!!!

;)

A provisional BER is something completely different.

Or

It's for a house that was built in 2017. Retro-fitting

The vents for the utility room and bathrooms also have a fair bit of draught coming through. But these are just for the extractor fan right? To get moisture out rather than get air in. Either way, I guess i could fit black hole vents to these also?

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Don't call it a provisional BER!!!!!!!!!!

;)

A provisional BER is something completely different.

https://www.seai.ie/resources/publications/BER-Assessors-Code-of-Practice-New.pdf
    It’s referenced here?

The vents for the utility room and bathrooms also have a fair bit of draught coming through. But these are just for the extractor fan right? To get moisture out rather than get air in. Either way, I guess i could fit black hole vents to these also?

What was your ACH result and which part L regs are you expected to comply with?

What was your ACH result and which part L regs are you expected to comply with?

It's an A3 rated house.is all I know. How do either of these things affect whether I can fit black hole vents?

This is nothing new or complex. I simply want to reduce draught & noise coming in through vents and looking for recommendations from people who have encountered same issue and resolved it.

im not saying it doesnt exist.... im saying it has NOTHING to do with Building Regulations and Part L (sorry for the emphasis)

a provisional BER is a temporary BER certificate provided to houses "sold off the plans" ie dont exist. They are required to comply with SI 666 of 2006

this is the definition of a provisional BER taken straight from that SI above:
    “provisional BER certificate” is a certificate in a prescribed form respecting a proposed new building which is held and may be viewed in electronic form on the BER register on the basis of a BER assessment of the plans and specifications for the building prior to its construction being completed and may be reproduced and issued by or on behalf of the issuing authority in printed form;

a provisional BER certifcate and advisory report will make absolutely no reference to compliance with, or non compliance with, building regulations.

what you should be calling it is a "Preliminary Part L assessment".....
    thats whats required under L3 of the second schedule of SI 259 of 2011

its a bugbear of mine when these get mixed up.... normally i wouldn't care only that the title "provisional BER" already exists to describe something completely different than what youre describing.

It's an A3 rated house.is all I know. How do either of these things affect whether I can fit black hole vents?

This is nothing new or complex. I simply want to reduce draught & noise coming in through vents and looking for recommendations from people who have encountered same issue and resolved it.
    See link, what the air-tightness test result ?
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109771502&postcount=10

It’s been interesting following your design build. Why didn’t you go with mvhr ?

• Advertisement

See link, what the air-tightness test result ?
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109771502&postcount=10

It’s been interesting following your design build. Why didn’t you go with mvhr ?

You have lost me. I don't understand what you are referring to in the link or regards design build\mvhr. This is a house I bought?

You asked about my ACH result. I understand this is air tightness figure? I managed to get XML file for my BER, see relevant section below:

RdzyoGz.jpg

Advertisement