Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC - Alternative to phone line?

Options
  • 24-03-2019 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭

I have a HKC alarm system. I'm just wondering if there is a way to connect the alarm via bluetooth/wifi/internet instead of having a dedicated phone line. I pay extra every month just to have a phone line to it. I just want to be notified some way if it goes off without the expense of phone line.

I seen the gsm cards but I still need to remember to top up every 6 months etc?

I can get you the model no tomorrow but the alarm is in about 15 years at this point.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭altor

gutteruu wrote: »
    I have a HKC alarm system. I'm just wondering if there is a way to connect the alarm via bluetooth/wifi/internet instead of having a dedicated phone line. I pay extra every month just to have a phone line to it. I just want to be notified some way if it goes off without the expense of phone line.

I can get you the model no tomorrow but the alarm is in about 15 years at this point.

Thanks

All depends on the system you have installed.
    You could add a GSM to most systems doing away with the phone line but as you say you would need to top up the sim card.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭comput1

If not gsm would WiFi be an easy install ? On the hkc1070
    altor wrote: »
    All depends on the system you have installed.
    You could add a GSM to most systems doing away with the phone line but as you say you would need to top up the sim card.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

It would. But the monthly subscriptions will probably work out more than the amounts you are topping up by.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

KoolKid wrote: »
    It would. But the monthly subscriptions will probably work out more than the amounts you are topping up by.

I trust you are aware that HKC have a GSM unit which can take a pay as you go SIM card.

Therefore no subscription charges

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I am, but the OPs request included...
    gutteruu wrote: »

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

gutteruu wrote:

OP

Provide the make and model of the panel

Also note how near it is to your router can you get a cat 5 cable to it, have you wifi signal at it etc.

Then post here to see if you can get the answer you want.

A 15 year old panel might be pushing it though.

Advertisement