Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Changed Plane

Options
  • 24-03-2019 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi all

My family and I are travelling to Florida next Monday and we splashed out on business class for all of us. When booking the flight the configuration shown allowed us to book the seats we wanted and all was fine.

This past week we found out by chance, by checking the seat plan that Aer Lingus has now got a completely different configuration showing for our return flight. After some investigation it turns out that they have actually changed the entire plane. This now means that two of our kids are no longer sitting beside us and are now sitting next to strangers.

This would not be so bad if it were not for the fact that the plane is a 16 year old ex Qatar plane that has not been upgraded to the new business class format. It looks mostly like premium economy rather than business class. Imagine if you booked the fancy business class on Qatar Airways now and got their 16 year old cabin, but no reduction in price. Imagine you bought a Ferrari and the dealer presents you with a Fiat !

Aer Lingus constantly sends emails if they so much as change the flight time by even a minute but total silence when they have changed the entire aircraft. I understand equipment changes but you should not receive a lesser quality product and Aer Lingus does not state anywhere (that I can see) on their T&C's or on the business class pages that you may get a really old style plane.

Any thoughts on what our rights might be here in terms of some compensation ?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

16 years old wouldn't be ancient in terms of planes.

I'd ring Aer Lingus and see what do they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Funmum05

Its not so much to do with the age of the plane but more to do with the fact that the seating arrangement in business class from 2003 (Qatar) to what Aer Lingus offers today are different but yet they are charging the same price for an inferior product to what we booked, but have not informed us of the change. They have already changed the time of the flight which we accepted as they informed us well in advanced. This change they havent uttered a word even though we have contacted them directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Call them and ask them to change, they usually can. There was an article last week in The Times saying 96% of Aer Lingus passengers get seated together without paying.

As for compensation you might get a voucher to redeem on a future flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

I get your point around the kids sitting separately but a lot of your arguments are around the fact the service is inferior and 16 years old.

I get this point also and this aircraft was discussed in detail on the EI fleet thread and I think the outcome was it’s different to regular business class but not that much, still a business class standard.

EI should be able to re seat your kids I would hope but I’m sure their T&C’s cover plane substitutions etc so can’t see you getting anything comp wise for that but as above, call them and give it a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Remember to buy those sh*tty two prong adaptors for your headphones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Ahh EI-GEY. For what it's worth, a 2-2-2 config vs 1-2-1 and a different seat that's not fully lie flat is a different and inferior product - there's a reason airlines moved to 1-2-1 to capture more of the premium segment. EI should get on and get her out of service for the time needed to change out the cabin.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Nijmegen wrote: »
    Ahh EI-GEY. For what it's worth, a 2-2-2 config vs 1-2-1 and a different seat that's not fully lie flat is a different and inferior product - there's a reason airlines moved to 1-2-1 to capture more of the premium segment. EI should get on and get her out of service for the time needed to change out the cabin.

Is it really more profitable removing two seats per aisle ?

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Is it really more profitable removing two seats per aisle ?

It is when you're competing with others who do.

Nijmegen, you hit the nail on the head. The seats are more in line with premium economy but with the business class price tag. I didn't realise they are not fully lie flat seats as there is no mention on their website of this configuration. They state that all their business class seats are fully lie flat. Our flight is an over night flight departing at 23:00 which is one of the reasons we booked business class.

Regarding sitting our kids together it is not possible as there are no seats free together. The only thing we can do is ask when we get on board if someone will switch with 1 of our older kids so they can at least sit together while I sit with my youngest.

I will ring Aer lingus today and see what they say.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

That particular aircraft is older yes but the seats are lie flat. You still have WiFi, and the same service delivered. The major issue seems to be the cabin set-up.
    No single seats which apparently is a sought after setup for passengers.
    As above I would call EI and request seat changes so ye are 2 pairs behind each other or 2 pair across the aisle from each other.
    What age are the kids that you don’t want to be away from them?

• Advertisement

Tenger, There are 6 of us travelling. We had booked the 4 seats in row 3 and the 2 middle seats in row 2. We still have those seats but now 1 of my kids has a stranger sitting beside him who looks to have been the person booked into 5K on the configuration which I booked our seats based on. I will ask if my child can be moved over to the other side of row 3 and then those 2 kids are side by side and I'll be in the middle beside my youngest and my husband will have our 3rd child in row 2.

My biggest issue is the seats are inferior. They are angled flat seats so not lie flat as advertised on Aer Lingus website. The over head storage is not big enough for a standard cabin bag and there is no storage on the seat. I paid for the business seat that they advertise on their site. If I saw this configuration I would not have booked this flight. There is no mention anywhere on their site that there may be a variance in the business class cabin.

As I mentioned on the other thread, EI shooting themselves in the foot here on customer service - they advertise, as far as I can see, every TATL flight as being their standard config (I couldn't find EI-GEY layout on any flights 2-3 days out) and then sub in this plane, which they've had time to refit now, with a substantially different product. Premium customers do think about what airline and route they'll fly based on the metal they expect. Admittedly tech subs happen, but this is EI advertising one thing and putting you onto another.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

16 years old wouldn't be ancient in terms of planes.

I'd ring Aer Lingus and see what do they say.
    its 18 years ols

Unless it’s being fitted out recently it won’t be the sane as their advertised business class package on their website.

here's an article on it https://onemileatatime.com/aer-lingus-business-class-angled-seats/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

Having traveled in J on GEY (2-2-2) and EDY (1-2-1), there's honestly not that tangible a difference between them. Soft product is all the same, hard product is marginally better on a non GEY A330, primarily because of the 1-2-1 config for me.

I imagine if you whinge loudly enough via Twitter & some calls they'll throw you a voucher.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mx5ire

cson wrote: »
    Having traveled in J on GEY (2-2-2) and EDY (1-2-1), there's honestly not that tangible a difference between them. Soft product is all the same, hard product is marginally better on a non GEY A330, primarily because of the 1-2-1 config for me.

I imagine if you whinge loudly enough via Twitter & some calls they'll throw you a voucher.

I travelled on it in business twice last year, both times to Washington. Its obviously older and basically tired feeling compared to the newer 1-2-1 configs, but the service is no different or worse. Its like flying in the old EI config from early 00's. Its not bad, its just not as nice or modern and you do feel a little short changed when you know all the other aircraft are just a much nicer place to be in, single or throne seats, easy aisle access, nicer screens, and a flat bed if you want it.

Some of the seats are not good though, i had a guy beside me at the window in row 1 request to move as he couldn't stretch out comfortably due to the fuselage curving inwards, and i would have to agree with his assessment.

Last year it was primarily doing Washington, now its jumping around between Washington, Newark, Toronto. I was due to fly on it to Newark as well but my meetings got moved.

Mx5ire, thats it exactly, I do feel short changed especially as we traveled in their new business class a couple of years ago. Looking at the pics of it, it looks depressing. Our flight is from Orlando to Dublin so they've started to use it on that route as well.

I'm hoping the seats we've booked are ok as they were the best seats on the 1-2-1 configuration. We have 2 seats in the middle in row 2 and the 2 seats at the window and the middle in row 3. I was able to move my child from 3K (he'll be gutted not getting his king chair) over beside his sibling so he'll be in 3C.

We will be writing a complaint as what we're getting is not what they advertise on their site and there is no mention anywhere that there may be a variance.

Can I query how you know the aircraft so far in advance? (you say you are traveling to Florida on Monday 1st)
    Looking at flight radar this aircraft seems to be in a couple of different routes over the last week. I can’t see a pattern. Maybe I just can’t see it.
    I wonder if EI inform passengers of the different config in advance or at check-in, anyone have the experience? I know it was s9lely operating DUB-IAD during the summer.

I’m assuming you have been in contact with Aer Lingus customer service by now. Have you changed seat assignments already? I’m asking because if the aircraft next week does in fact have the ‘normal’ EI hard product your kids still be gutted about missing out on the king seat. And some stranger might have been assigned that seat at check-in.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Savage_Henry

You can see at flightmapper.net - enter your flight nr

You can see at flightmapper.net - enter your flight nr
    Just tried it. It shows aircraft type, (A330-200) not which actual aircraft is planned.
    In fact when I got the site to display the schedule it shows a mix of 2 types, ‘A330’ and ‘A330-200’. I’m going to assume that the former is a -300 version.
    This schedule does however show A330-200 from April 1st.

But EI have 4-5 of the -200. Only 1 has non standard J class seating.

Tenger, I was able to see the plane configuration when I went into my booking a few weeks ago and it was showing 2-2-2. I rang Aer Lingus yesterday and they confirmed that the plane has changed for our homeward flight which is why I went ahead and changed the seating.

My flight on the 1st of April hasn't changed from what I can see, its the return flight on the 22nd of April that has.

• Advertisement

Ah, interesting. Didn’t realise it was through the booking that showed you.

As an aside, what age are the kids?
    My lot aren’t off school till Friday 12th.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mx5ire

Funmum05 wrote: »
    Tenger, I was able to see the plane configuration when I went into my booking a few weeks ago and it was showing 2-2-2. I rang Aer Lingus yesterday and they confirmed that the plane has changed for our homeward flight which is why I went ahead and changed the seating.

My flight on the 1st of April hasn't changed from what I can see, its the return flight on the 22nd of April that has.

When i book for business we have to use the Concur tool, and this shows seating maps and allows seat selection for almost all airlines when we book. Its also a handy way to check seat layouts on particular routings prior to final booking - it just helps to make up the mind if there are a couple of options on how to get from A to B.

Going slightly off topic I see that BA have launched a new Business Class seat. It will be on their new A350s. I expect the B787s and B777-300s will be retrofitted while the B747s and older B777-200s will probably not get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

GEY is going for maintenance (not A reconfigure) so its not that it's EWR doing that flight

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Tenger wrote: »
    Going slightly off topic I see that BA have launched a new Business Class seat. It will be on their new A350s. I expect the B787s and B777-300s will be retrofitted while the B747s and older B777-200s will probably not get it.

This is common across the industry

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Bussywussy wrote: »
    GEY is going for maintenance (not A reconfigure) so its not that it's EWR doing that flight

If it’s going for maintenance why don’t they re-fit it? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but they could at least re do the business class, economy is the same anyway as I understand

mx5ire wrote: »
    When i book for business we have to use the Concur tool, and this shows seating maps and allows seat selection for almost all airlines when we book. Its also a handy way to check seat layouts on particular routings prior to final booking - it just helps to make up the mind if there are a couple of options on how to get from A to B.

I think the issue is they were using seatmap for a standard 330 when he booked and changed it later.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Maxed-irl

Locker10a wrote: »
    If it’s going for maintenance why don’t they re-fit it? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but they could at least re do the business class, economy is the same anyway as I understand

Doesn't work like that to be honest. May be no seat available. May be too costly to retrofit. Aircraft may only be in to fill gaps until the neos come into the fleet. Then theres things such as getting approval to change seats as this changes the config so it may effect the weight and balance etc theres alot more to it than just taking a seat out and putting a completely different one in

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Shamrockj

This flight is being operated by -EWR with the standard business class seats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

Locker10a wrote: »

They would if they could....I believe it's actually a parts issue from vendors is the hold up and not EI

Advertisement