Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aircraft Rental Dublin

Options
  • 25-03-2019 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I'm looking for any recommendations on where i can rent a C172 aircraft in or around the Dublin area, surrounding counties is good too. I have tried google but all threads are about 7 years old now and on looking at some of the schools based at Weston I can't seem to find anywhere for aircraft renting.

I know of Trim but it looks like you have to be a club member to rent. I only plan to go on a few flights now coming into the spring and summer and don't fancy paying over the odds for club membership fees.

I have a full CPL + ME/IR with SEP (A) + IR ratings

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Bsal

NFC at Weston rent C152/C172, you could also try Newcastle airfield in Co. Wicklow but I'm not sure they rent out aircraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭1123heavy

The NFC out in weston won't rent an aircraft without being a club member, i got quoted 385eu/yr for the club membership then 214eu/hr for a C172 thereafter

does anyone know any other recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ned14

Newcastle (EINC) don't rent aircraft either. I had asked them recently.

ned14 wrote: »
    Newcastle (EINC) don't rent aircraft either. I had asked them recently.

They told me you'd to be a club member and as well as that a rep from the club will have to be with you at all times.

Seems renting here is quite complicated and expensive unlike elsewhere in Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

1123heavy wrote: »
    The NFC out in weston won't rent an aircraft without being a club member, i got quoted 385eu/yr for the club membership then 214eu/hr for a C172 thereafter

does anyone know any other recommendations?

Have you tried approaching any of the syndicates or private owners to buy some time off them? There are occasionally posters around advertising packages. More aimed at hour builders though. I think that the airport flying club or Leinster flying club has something like it on their website too?

In defense of clubs the membership fee is used to cover a lot of fixed costs. Rental fees are calculated to cover the cost of operating the plane. If you were contributing to a club that let a non-member rock up and use the assets of the club you would get p!ssed off and join another club. That's aside from the social aim/objective of clubs..

• Advertisement

Have you tried approaching any of the syndicates or private owners to buy some time off them? There are occasionally posters around advertising packages. More aimed at hour builders though. I think that the airport flying club or Leinster flying club has something like it on their website too?

In defense of clubs the membership fee is used to cover a lot of fixed costs. Rental fees are calculated to cover the cost of operating the plane. If you were contributing to a club that let a non-member rock up and use the assets of the club you would get p!ssed off and join another club. That's aside from the social aim/objective of clubs..

I understand that yes, i'm just finding membership fees to be very expensive. I know someone in France even and they joined a club for 170eu/yr. Even after joining the nfc, 214eu/hr for a C172 is very expensive i think, if you want to do a 2/3 hr cross country that's gonna be 600eu+ ... madness.

Do you know how i may be able to get in touch with some of the private owners?

I looked at the Leinster flying club and their membership fee was 600eu/yr + 170eu joining fee. They only have 2 seater aircraft anyway. As for the airport flying club they only have 1 aircraft and are charging a 720eu joining fee.

I was flying abroad the past few years and maybe it's just me that's finding all these sums astronomical

• Registered Users Posts: 2 CMurphyDZL

Hi 1123Heavy,

Not sure if it might be too far from Dublin/too small but Skyline Flying Club in Abbeyshrule has a 2 seater microlight Samba XXL for Club members. Annual dues are €250 and it's €110 rental per hour.

Drop us an email if you'd like to have a chat.

Colm

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

There's no member groups that I'm aware of so maybe your best bet is to ask Weston to pass on your contact details. Or keep an eye on the various social media pages eg FII

Absolutely. if you compare prices we pay more for almost everything in Ireland. Not just the stuff we have to import. And then if you look at the property market in Dublin that's going to inflate the price of small niche value things like a flying club astronomically compared to the French countryside.

If you want to do a bit more than maintain the SEP then an active club is good value. They'll have the experience and interest to organise interesting trips as well as putting you in contact with people interested in sharing the fun. There's always a few professional types in clubs too so they could be good networking opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭logie101

Ulster Flying Club in Co Down could be an option.

Or contact your friendly dairy farmer up in Navan. I’m sure he will be able to rent you a Robin.
    (Trevor Kellet in Navan May be able to look after you)

Advertisement