Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Defender questions

• 24-03-2019 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi, just wondering if anyone on here ever owned a defender?
    I am considering buying one. Ideally spending between 3-8k on one.
    At present I have a normal enough car, and insurance.
    Thankfully am in my 30's so insurance isn't an issue.

I have spotted commercial tax on some of the Land Rovers, G Wagons etc. How do you apply for commercial tax?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

davecomedy wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering if anyone on here ever owned a defender?
    I am considering buying one. Ideally spending between 3-8k on one.
    At present I have a normal enough car, and insurance.
    Thankfully am in my 30's so insurance isn't an issue.

I have spotted commercial tax on some of the Land Rovers, G Wagons etc. How do you apply for commercial tax?

the conversion loophole is closed now, but if you find one done already it holds.

A defender is great as a working vehicle or for weekend fun, you'd want to be mad to drive one as a daily a lot of the time, comfortable they are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭davecomedy

Dam it, was hoping to have it as a daily driver :(

I've loved the Merc G Wagons but christ the money they are going for can be crazy.

A defender appears fairly similar in size, and both seem fairly cool. Lame thing to say I know lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Moved out from someone else's thread

davecomedy wrote: »
    Dam it, was hoping to have it as a daily driver :(

I've loved the Merc G Wagons but christ the money they are going for can be crazy.

A defender appears fairly similar in size, and both seem fairly cool. Lame thing to say I know lol

I got a lift once down the motorway in one and it was awful.

saying that if you want one go for it,dont let anyone talk you out of it.
    It's nice to have something a bit different than the rest .

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭anthony500_1

They are not ideal as a daily, I've a 90 model td5, 20mpg would be common enough in one, they have a very cramped driving position. Clutch is brutal strong and will have your left leg trembling while sitting in slow moving traffic, you won't go anywhere fast in one. Motorway cruising tops out at 100kmh pushing them hard, and with a load behind it in a trailer it won't be in a hurry to stop either. they tend to leak from all sorts of weird places bit like a dog they leave there mark everywhere they go, good points they are a "cool" 4x4, they have a serious cult following, in an offroad situation there are little to keep with them when the going gets tough, kids and parents yes both men and women alike will come and talk to you about your Landy, ask for a look inside or can they sit there child in etc everywhere you pull up, it's a case of you either love them or hate them, personally I'm the latter I have one and they are ok but I don't have the serious love for it, thus why I have it parked up under cover after 1 year of driving it, and I now drive a hilux.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭MTBD

They are not ideal as a daily, I've a 90 model td5, 20mpg would be common enough in one, they have a very cramped driving position. Clutch is brutal strong and will have your left leg trembling while sitting in slow moving traffic, you won't go anywhere fast in one. Motorway cruising tops out at 100kmh pushing them hard, and with a load behind it in a trailer it won't be in a hurry to stop either. they tend to leak from all sorts of weird places bit like a dog they leave there mark everywhere they go, good points they are a "cool" 4x4, they have a serious cult following, in an offroad situation there are little to keep with them when the going gets tough, kids and parents yes both men and women alike will come and talk to you about your Landy, ask for a look inside or can they sit there child in etc everywhere you pull up, it's a case of you either love them or hate them, personally I'm the latter I have one and they are ok but I don't have the serious love for it, thus why I have it parked up under cover after 1 year of driving it, and I now drive a hilux.

People really do have to make huge compromises to justify owning them, don't they? I get it, but it really is little wonder that the LandCruiser Prado dominates the market here. There isn't a single thing it doesn't do better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Are you a hipster?!

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭anthony500_1

MTBD wrote:
    People really do have to make huge compromises to justify owning them, don't they? I get it, but it really is little wonder that the LandCruiser Prado dominates the market here. There isn't a single thing it doesn't do better.

Some ppl just want a defender and that's ok too, we all have to live with our choices..... the Land cruiser has to be one of the greatest 4x4s, there is not a lot it can't do, look at any mart, or builders providers in the country and the staple of many is the Land cruiser with good justification

Advertisement