Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching Practice - Dress code

Options
  • 25-03-2019 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,

Bit of an unusual question here but I'm just wondering what exactly is considered acceptable to wear on Primary School teaching practice for a male? Would jeans and a jumper and/or shirt be considered acceptable or would you be expected to wear slacks and a shirt every day. Likewise, in terms of footwear, would shoes always be expected or would casual – rather than runners specifically for running etc. – runners be acceptable (eg. suede runners).

Also, with warmer weather (hopefully!) coming would things like polo-shirts still be considered unacceptable. Hibernia College say smart casual is the dress code for TP but that's very open to interpretation.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

If your supervisor wants smart casual that would be a shirt with no tie no jeans.

In some schools though they'd think you had notions of upperosity if you went too formal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

I think shirt, jumper, chinos and casual shoes .
    In the warm weather polo shirt instead of shirt and jumper would be fine.
    Even if you are over dressed compared to the other teachers you are making a good impression on your supervisor, school principal, other teachers and students by making an effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

I think shirt, jumper, chinos and casual shoes ..

For TP you follow what you are told by the college/inspector to the letter. The above is what you should know to wear. Jeans on TP would be a big no no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

For TP you follow what you are told by the college/inspector to the letter. The above is what you should know to wear. Jeans on TP would be a big no no.

Agree that you should steer clear of the jeans on TP. Nice chinos and polo shirt, smart shoes, make a good impression. Good luck!

Ps should add am female but just think jeans are a bit casual on TP and a smarter look is nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Teacher0101

For TP, play the game. If they want us to wear a suit, they can pay us like professionals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Hibernia seem to be very lax when it comes to TP attire. My last male student wore jeans and t shirts/sweaters with converse or those leather style court shoes and on some days tracksuits. I wasn't a fan myself as in MIC we were warned within an inch of our lives not to wear anything less than chinos/shirts/leather shoes but that was a little overkill too.

Tldr stick with a shirt and chinos with smart shoes/leather trainers (not converse) and sweater if it is cold. Some schools have very lax dress codes, others can put milan fashion week to shame so stick with the above and you won't go wrong. Clothes maketh the man as they say.

Well, TBH, they're getting what, 12k from students? It's the schools job to have a dress code.

Clothes don't maketh the man, maybe when you start in a new school - when you're in a place a long time? No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

For TP, dress sharp it just isn't worth the hassle of getting caught out by a c*nt of an inspector. It also does make an impression on the principal/staff. I've heard of peers getting grilled for wearing polo shirts or trainers and girls for wearing jeans. Chinos/suit pants, shirt and jumper or just a shirt in the summer and smart shoes...a good pair of brown suit shoes goes a long way. Black jeans would be okay but denim would be too casual.

Once you're permanent and settled you can tone it down and start dressing a little more lax but as a fresh daisy why hinder yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

Angliru wrote: »
    For TP, dress sharp it just isn't worth the hassle of getting caught out by a c*nt of an inspector. It also does make an impression on the principal/staff. I've heard of peers getting grilled for wearing polo shirts or trainers and girls for wearing jeans. Chinos/suit pants, shirt and jumper or just a shirt in the summer and smart shoes...a good pair of brown suit shoes goes a long way. Black jeans would be okay but denim would be too casual.

Once you're permanent and settled you can tone it down and start dressing a little more lax but as a fresh daisy why hinder yourself?

A relative of mine is doing teaching and the class were given a talk on appropriate and inappropriate clothes for TP. Was common sense sense stuff to me but seems some of the TP students were coming in in very very casual gear and it didn’t go down well.Best to err on side of caution as you say then when more established in a school can relax a bit.

You're trying to impress a prospective employer. Dress well. Simples.

• Advertisement

Hibernia seem to be very lax when it comes to TP attire. My last male student wore jeans and t shirts/sweaters with converse or those leather style court shoes and on some days tracksuits. I wasn't a fan myself as in MIC we were warned within an inch of our lives not to wear anything less than chinos/shirts/leather shoes but that was a little overkill too.

Tldr stick with a shirt and chinos with smart shoes/leather trainers (not converse) and sweater if it is cold. Some schools have very lax dress codes, others can put milan fashion week to shame so stick with the above and you won't go wrong. Clothes maketh the man as they say.

From speaking to a couple of PME's there's another Hibernia TP supervisior who has no hesitation in telling guys in no uncertain terms to smarten themselves up!!
    That's secondary though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

For TP, play the game. If they want us to wear a suit, they can pay us like professionals.

You are a professional.......

Yes, but we are not paid as one.

Yes, but we are not paid as one.

None of us were, it is not ideal but you still need to dress professionally. If that is your attitude as a student teacher on here I hate to think of what you are like on placement. Placement can be the best interview you ever do.

No, I said to student teachers to play the game and dress formally for the first few years.

I've been teaching thirteen years.

We are considered professional - but not paid as such. We don't have a uniform like nurses or Gardaí, but aren't exactly paid like lawyers or Doctors.

Thirteen years, I've added an extra subject to my CV, I've an MA and HDip, and I get about 34K after tax. Not really a professionals wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

No, I said to student teachers to play the game and dress formally for the first few years.

We are considered professional - but not paid as such. We don't have a uniform like nurses or Gardaí, but aren't exactly paid like lawyers or Doctors.

Thirteen years, I've added an extra subject to my CV, I've an MA and HDip, and I get about 34K after tax. Not really a professionals wage.

Why for the first few years? Do you now turn up wearing a tracksuit (assuming you're not a PE teacher), clothes you'd wear around the house? I think it's important to not only act but dress professionally. I wouldn't expect to go to a doctor to see him/her dressed informally.

I've been teaching ten years and have always dressed professionally. I think it's nice to have work clothes and weekend clothes.

Supermarket workers aren't professionals but wear a uniform.

If your problem is pay .... you decided to be a teacher. It's like the anti-teachers saying that we have big salaries and summers off ... it's open to everyone.

I don't see the relevance of your last sentence - maybe you're saying that qualifications matter more than clothes or you're looking for a star ��

Finally, if you're doing your masters in education, I don't think it would be too much to ask for a shirt, pants or smartly dressed if you're female... no short skirts, low cut tops etc.

I'm not doing my masters in Ed, I said I did a HDip years ago and a separate MA.

I'd expect a Doctor to be wearing formal/formalish clothes - but I don't care as long as they are a good Dr. Same with a teacher. You can have a huge wardrobe but be absolutely crap at teaching.

Dress professionally? Yeah, if you're getting paid professionally. Jeans can look smart on people, and plimsole trainers with a shirt, whats wrong with that? Most men in my place wear something like that.

I realise this is a rant but here it goes. It is typical of new type of entrant that is coming into teaching. Very limited general knowledge and weak willed. They don't want to upset the apple cart and would do anything for a job. Points are much easier to get than 20 years ago, and lots of past students are coming back to our place on teaching practice who do not have the skills or personality to be a teacher.

Cost of living has increased - the Gardaí threaten a strike, their wages go up. Nurses - well, you can't give out about nurses - strike for five days. Teachers - and it's the ones that are older - are spineless. But why should they? The Department has teachers at each scale on the ladder snookered in some way. If you are just in the door you'd want to have a fair set of balls to be a rabble-rouser. You need to take every crap bit of extra curricular that's thrown your way. CID has changed to two years - which is much better than the four it used to be.

Unions are a joke. Protests at lunchtime? Go out for a week and there might be some respect from parents when they have to look after their kids at home. Media hates teachers anyway - so who cares if we make a strong stand.

TUI/ASTI are as feeble and as low down the sewer as the Teaching Council.

It's a crap profession and any teachers I know do not want their kids to follow them into the job.

I'm not doing my masters in Ed, I said I did a HDip years ago and a separate MA.

I'd expect a Doctor to be wearing formal/formalish clothes - but I don't care as long as they are a good Dr. Same with a teacher. You can have a huge wardrobe but be absolutely crap at teaching.

Dress professionally? Yeah, if you're getting paid professionally. Jeans can look smart on people, and plimsole trainers with a shirt, whats wrong with that? Most men in my place wear something like that.

I realise this is a rant but here it goes. It is typical of new type of entrant that is coming into teaching. Very limited general knowledge and weak willed. They don't want to upset the apple cart and would do anything for a job. Points are much easier to get than 20 years ago, and lots of past students are coming back to our place on teaching practice who do not have the skills or personality to be a teacher.

Cost of living has increased - the Gardaí threaten a strike, their wages go up. Nurses - well, you can't give out about nurses - strike for five days. Teachers - and it's the ones that are older - are spineless. But why should they? The Department has teachers at each scale on the ladder snookered in some way. If you are just in the door you'd want to have a fair set of balls to be a rabble-rouser. You need to take every crap bit of extra curricular that's thrown your way. CID has changed to two years - which is much better than the four it used to be.

Unions are a joke. Protests at lunchtime? Go out for a week and there might be some respect from parents when they have to look after their kids at home. Media hates teachers anyway - so who cares if we make a strong stand.

It's a crap profession and any teachers I know do not want their kids to follow them into the job.

Totally OT but do you go to union meetings?

OP dress well, it won't go against you but dressing over casual may just.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭LC2016

I realise this is a rant but here it goes. It is typical of new type of entrant that is coming into teaching. Very limited general knowledge and weak willed. They don't want to upset the apple cart and would do anything for a job. ]Points are much easier to get than 20 years ago , and lots of past students are coming back to our place on teaching practice who do not have the skills or personality to be a teacher.

Are they though?
    In 2001 primary teaching was 440 in Mary I and as low as 425 in Marino. It was 474 in 2018 for Mary I. If anything, it seems to be more difficult to get into teaching.

Yep, I go to union meetings.

I'm talking about it being easier to get into secondary.

2001 440 points is the equivalent now of over 500.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,241 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I think shirt, jumper, chinos and casual shoes . In the warm weather polo shirt instead of shirt and jumper would be fine. Even if you are over dressed compared to the other teachers you are making a good impression on your supervisor, school principal, other teachers and students by making an effort.

I agree. It's nice and kind of reaffirming to see well turned out teachers. Gives you a bit of pride.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Personally I wouldn't have an issue with jeans as long as they are clean and not ripped. I wouldn't wear them for teaching practice though.

I can't believe some women need it pointed out to them what is and is not appropriate wear for teaching. No, they don't need to see your knocks popping out.

I once even had a male colleague who favoured the 'bag of cats down the front of a tracksuit' style. Not a PE teacher, either. Lordy my breakfast nearly re-appeared sometimes.

spurious wrote: »
    Personally I wouldn't have an issue with jeans as long as they are clean and not ripped. I wouldn't wear them for teaching practice though.

I can't believe some women need it pointed out to them what is and is not appropriate wear for teaching. No, they don't need to see your knocks popping out.

I once even had a male colleague who favoured the 'bag of cats down the front of a tracksuit' style. Not a PE teacher, either. Lordy my breakfast nearly re-appeared sometimes.

Ya wha?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Ya wha?

Oh don't remind me. I suspect there was a commando element under the tracksuit too.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Standards in dress have dropped in teaching as a whole. Hoodies and jeans now seem acceptable. Young ones in tight jeans etc. Pleasant to look at but one wonders.
    A lot of the male teachers look like trainee mechanics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Bobtheman wrote: »
    Standards in dress have dropped in teaching as a whole. Hoodies and jeans now seem acceptable. Young ones in tight jeans etc. Pleasant to look at but one wonders.
    A lot of the male teachers look like trainee mechanics.

Colleague of mine has started rocking up wearing tracksuit pants, a hoodie and a pair of runners. It’d be understandable if they were a PE teacher, but they’re not. Far too casual.

I made the move from very casual to slacks and a nice shirt. All the students said they preferred my jeans look so I'm alternating now.

This is Asia, though. The school doesn't care what we wear as long as it's not trackies etc.

Noveight wrote: »
    Colleague of mine has started rocking up wearing tracksuit pants, a hoodie and a pair of runners. It’d be understandable if they were a PE teacher, but they’re not. Far too casual.

Top that. When doing the dip there was a teacher who wore a Playboy hoodie and had a Playboy pencil case.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Noveight wrote: »

Top that. When doing the dip there was a teacher who wore a Playboy hoodie and had a Playboy pencil case.
    Really ? Though to be fair Playboy is quite mild with what's out there now. I remember when it was banned !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

We are considered professional - but not paid as such. We don't have a uniform like nurses or Gardabut aren't exactly paid like lawyers or Doctors.

Why are you quoting your salary as after tax? That's not comparing like with like. What's your gross salary? If you are teaching for 13 years and assuming an honours degree and dip, your gross salary is about 60k, which is a good salary.

I really despise threads on here when teachers are complaining about their pay and quote net pay rather than gross pay.

Advertisement