Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stopping at 1

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

as others have said there is a sweet spot for going again. if you leave it too long you cant face it.

we were on number 3 but we both wanted one more, then life got in the way and there was a bereavement in my wife's family, by the time we got over that and were able to move on the youngest was 3 and getting big and independent and we could no longer face the sleepless nights again. nothing else would bother me, in reality once you have already done it once or twice there is not actually very much to looking after a baby but the lack of sleep is a killer there is no getting away from, that and sterilizing bottles, something i always despised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

So many people passed comment that it was time for me to have another baby before my youngest started playschool last September. I wasn't long after having a miscarriage. I'm now 36 weeks pregnant and all I get is are we hoping for a girl as we have two boys already, will I be disappointed if it's a other boy!! Like what the hell! Some people are ridiculous. I think no matter what you choose for your family some people always feel the need to pass comment or give unsolicited advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

So many people passed comment that it was time for me to have another baby before my youngest started playschool last September. I wasn't long after having a miscarriage. I'm now 36 weeks pregnant and all I get is are we hoping for a girl as we have two boys already, will I be disappointed if it's a other boy!! Like what the hell! Some people are ridiculous. I think no matter what you choose for your family some people always feel the need to pass comment or give unsolicited advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I know of 2 people that were only children and they turned out to be successful happy individuals. It's a large demographic in families to have 1 child - it's at around 30% in ireland. If anything it's good for the envoironment to have less kids. It's the no. 1 lever for accelerating climate change I.e. World population explosion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    I know of 2 people that were only children and they turned out to be successful happy individuals. It's a large demographic in families to have 1 child - it's at around 30% in ireland. If anything it's good for the envoironment to have less kids. It's the no. 1 lever for accelerating climate change I.e. World population explosion.

slightly off topic but in reality here in the west (western world not mayo, but mayo as well) our problem is going to be under population, falling birth rates are going to make it very hard to sustain growth and there is the famous pensions time bomb.
    as other regions around the world become wealthier the same thing happens, first there is a massive population explosion and then it slows off and starts to fall.
    i haven't got the stats in front of me but it is predicted that the world population will peak this centenary and then begin to fall, this trend is well established in the west and is now repeating its self in emerging economies.

long term there will be a world wide problem with population decline. its short term in many countries already, Germany for example and its a medium term problem here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭firebird84

farmchoice wrote: »
    slightly off topic but in reality here in the west (western world not mayo, but mayo as well) our problem is going to be under population, falling birth rates are going to make it very hard to sustain growth and there is the famous pensions time bomb.
    as other regions around the world become wealthier the same thing happens, first there is a massive population explosion and then it slows off and starts to fall.
    i haven't got the stats in front of me but it is predicted that the world population will peak this centenary and then begin to fall, this trend is well established in the west and is now repeating its self in emerging economies.

long term there will be a world wide problem with population decline. its short term in many countries already, Germany for example and its a medium term problem here.

Aside from the obvious problems with an ageing demographic and less younger people to look after them, I fail to understand how a falling population is a bad thing? The planet is dangerously overpopulated, there's barely enough food for us all at this stage. Did you read the UN report that came out last week? They condemn GDP as a measure of growth and that in order to continue to have an actual living planet to live on in 50 years time we need get far away from the idea of growth of population and consumption as a good thing.

I have two and won't be having any more for many reasons, but not putting more people on a planet that can't handle it was definitely one of them. (not in any way against anyone's choice to have more than 2, it was just one reason for me).

Advertisement