Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Silage Fertilizer Starting With Heavy Covers

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,777 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Dunedin wrote: »
    Serious drawing in 1000 bales. Anything over 500 bales is really pit territory

Was getting out of hand to be honest, often finished milking in the evening and went drawing bales till 3 in the morning, contractor was “always to busy “ to help out with drawing in bales anymore last year so was left at it myself, he still dosent know he won’t be getting any work here this year but I fully believe what in what goes around comes around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Was getting out of hand to be honest, often finished milking in the evening and went drawing bales till 3 in the morning, contractor was “always to busy “ to help out with drawing in bales anymore last year so was left at it myself, he still dosent know he won’t be getting any work here this year but I fully believe what in what goes around comes around
    TBF, I wouldn't blame him, it looks to be aright PITA of a job.
    Seven hrs drawing would be a big commitment for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Jb1989

wrangler wrote: »

And some farmers not willing to pay for hired help drawing bales, coz years ago the neighbours rallied around, to draw each others bales.

Would of been getting 25k plus of work a year here, if a lad dosent value that some bit and go the extra mile dosent say a lot, you can pick and choose here re getting silage done, he’ll have a nice bit of making up on replacing the work he was getting of us to be fair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Playing devils advocate here, it mightnt have been the answer you wanted to hear at the time as you were under pressure but it was possibly the truth he was telling you.

Had you made it clear to him when you asked him in to bale/wrap that you'd need them brought in also? Perhaps you underestimated the planning that he'd need to do to organise drivers and machinery to haul in that many bales and still keep his promises to other farmers.

He may have had commitments made to other farmers. Even if they had only 20 bales surely you wouldnt expect him to drop them to tend to you just because of your farm size?

I'd expect a contractor to give precedence to the next person in line regardless of the size of the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Would of been getting 25k plus of work a year here, if a lad dosent value that some bit and go the extra mile dosent say a lot, you can pick and choose here re getting silage done, he’ll have a nice bit of making up on replacing the work he was getting of us to be fair

25 k a year plus of contract work ?????

mahoney_j wrote: »

I don't think you're being fair either, if he did it for you he'd have to do it for more, It's waste to put good drivers and tractors at it in a busy time as well,
    A farmer with 1000 bales should be well set up, hope you weren't carrying just two bales at a time

mahoney_j wrote: »

1200 bales of silage/160 acres of pit plus spraying/reseeding/hedge cutting and a bit of dump trailer work dosent be long adding up

I don't think you're being fair either, if he did it for you he'd have to do it for more, It's waste to put good drivers and tractors at it in a busy time as well,
    A farmer with 1000 bales should be well set up, hope you weren't carrying just two bales at a time

He always offered the service up until this year, bringing 14 bales at a time but with long draws 3 miles you need two trailers plus at it, just reckon he has gotten complacent and thought he had the work guaranteed and I wouldn’t go else where

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭oxjkqg

I see diff lads here will send over a man for 2/3 hours even to make a dent in the moving of say 150 or 200 bales.

a bit just doesn't suit everyone though, depends on circumstances and type of ground etc

He always offered the service up until this year, bringing 14 bales at a time but with long draws 3 miles you need two trailers plus at it, just reckon he has gotten complacent and thought he had the work guaranteed and I wouldn’t go else where

i don't think any of them will take a tractor from the baling to draw bales, obviously he's busy enough anyway. it's a wonder he hasn't pulled in an independent operator with a keltec. two of my tenants work for local contractors in the summer, one with a tractor and the other driving, it justifies extra labour during the winter.

Muckit wrote: »
    Playing devils advocate here, it mightnt have been the answer you wanted to hear at the time as you were under pressure but it was possibly the truth he was telling you.

Had you made it clear to him when you asked him in to bale/wrap that you'd need them brought in also? Perhaps you underestimated the planning that he'd need to do to organise drivers and machinery to haul in that many bales and still keep his promises to other farmers.

He may have had commitments made to other farmers. Even if they had only 20 bales surely you wouldnt expect him to drop them to tend to you just because of your farm size?

I'd expect a contractor to give precedence to the next person in line regardless of the size of the job.

Always given 4-5 days notice before I’d planned cutting, I’d started doing all the mowing in-house so I reckon he has the hump over losing that, the pisstake last year was the baler was turning up at 9 at night baling 150 odd bales and I was left to it myself drawing happened on 4 occasions so had enough of it at that stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

1200 bales of silage/160 acres of pit plus spraying/reseeding/hedge cutting and a bit of dump trailer work dosent be long adding up

That's an awful lot of silage, did you say before you had made a years worth of silage?
    That's adding alot onto your contractor and silage costs for very little gain.
    What happens if you make another years worth of silage this year? You'll have 1.5 years worth of silage in the yard?

That's an awful lot of silage, did you say before you had made a years worth of silage?
    That's adding alot onto your contractor and silage costs for very little gain.
    What happens if you make another years worth of silage this year? You'll have 1.5 years worth of silage in the yard?

Sold 500 bales of it, 30 acres of 1st cut is what’s left in the yard at the minute, cutting back on acreage cut this year with little our no bales been made, going to buffer cows with beer next winter and not bother with 3rd cut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Sold 500 bales of it, 30 acres of 1st cut is what’s left in the yard at the minute, cutting back on acreage cut this year with little our no bales been made, going to buffer cows with beer next winter and not bother with 3rd cut

Lucky cows!!
    :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement