Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

50m Swimming pool in Cork

• 25-03-2019 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

City Hall rules out a 50-metre municipal pool for Cork
    https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/City-Hall-rules-out-a-50-metre-municipal-pool-for-Cork-48f5c0eb-93d8-452b-a8c3-3b3532e00ebb-ds

50m pool and another 25m next to it is needed in Cork. Leisureworld in Bishopstown and Churchfield are not sufficient. There's constantly some lessons going on there making it impossible to actually swim there.

18m is a joke to be honest, and as you can see there isn't much time to use the 25m pool in Bishopstown. Public swimming pool not so much for general public, but rather mostly for schools etc.

Mar-25-Apr-1-bt-2019.png

Churchfield is a bit better, but still not ideal and also they close at 6pm over the weekend.

Mar-25-Apr-1-cf-2019.png

And even if it's available, swimming there over the weekend in the afternoon is a nightmare. Place is full of kids just messing around and taking up space so swimming is absolutely impossible. It's called a swimming pool for a reason. I saw a sign there saying capacity is 80 bathers. Said nothing about swimmers. Probably 0.

Source fitness centre in Tivoli is a bit far to be honest, I've never been to Kingsley. Maldron (or what's the name of it nowadays) in Shandon is way too small. Never been to douglas but that's because of the location that doesn't suit me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Diabhalta wrote: »
    https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/City-Hall-rules-out-a-50-metre-municipal-pool-for-Cork-48f5c0eb-93d8-452b-a8c3-3b3532e00ebb-ds

50m pool and another 25m next to it is needed in Cork. Leisureworld in Bishopstown and Churchfield are not sufficient. There's constantly some lessons going on there making it impossible to actually swim there.

18m is a joke to be honest, and as you can see there isn't much time to use the 25m pool in Bishopstown. Public swimming pool not so much for general public, but rather mostly for schools etc.

Mar-25-Apr-1-bt-2019.png

Churchfield is a bit better, but still not ideal and also they close at 6pm over the weekend.

Mar-25-Apr-1-cf-2019.png

And even if it's available, swimming there over the weekend in the afternoon is a nightmare. Place is full of kids just messing around and taking up space so swimming is absolutely impossible. It's called a swimming pool for a reason. I saw a sign there saying capacity is 80 bathers. Said nothing about swimmers. Probably 0.

Source fitness centre in Tivoli is a bit far to be honest, I've never been to Kingsley. Maldron (or what's the name of it nowadays) in Shandon is way too small. Never been to douglas but that's because of the location that doesn't suit me.
    The public times arent great especially if you are working and no doubt they make plenty of money from the lessons.If you have the money just use a hotel pool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

You need to join a swimming club to get the access you want I think.

Yes, Cork needs a 50m, I’ve been saying the same thing since they built the mardyke with our bloody money... we asked then too why it wasn’t 50m. Must be more than 20 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

Nope, I think suitable facility should be built. So you can go and swim whenever you like. That's the real solution to the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Weltsmertz

Maybe they could put it in the Events centre?

Nope, I think suitable facility should be built. So you can go and swim whenever you like. That's the real solution to the problem.

Great yeah no problem. Who is paying for this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Nah we need more burger/donuts/coffee/retail.give the people what they want!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Weltsmertz wrote: »
    Maybe they could put it in the Events centre?

Im sure BAM could put in a few retractable perspex walls, a few pop up diving boards...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Correct decision by City Hall. Getting Tramore Valley park open will provide more benefit to the greater community.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

pwurple wrote: »
    You need to join a swimming club to get the access you want I think.

Yes, Cork needs a 50m, I’ve been saying the same thing since they built the mardyke with our bloody money... we asked then too why it wasn’t 50m. Must be more than 20 years ago.

That was THE chance to do it.
    If it wasn't done then it's highly unlikely to ever get granting!

The thing is that because it's so busy in the swimming pool (Bishopstown) with all those lessons it puts people off. Doesn't matter how good is the membership offer I won't buy it because I know I won't have a chance to swim there. I would rather pay more and go there anytime and just swim for 45 minutes without caring about anything. Will I get kicked off because kids want to learn to swim? So stupid this whole thing.

100K+ people in Cork and there is no proper pool facility here. What a disgrace.

• Advertisement

...Ask not what your country can do for you.... etc.

How can you solve this Diabhalta? You want a pool. I'm sure others do too. You're an able-bodied individual, a participating member of society. Get involved. Find out what's needed, talk to people, get it moving.

I want a park near me, so we set up a community group with residents who all want the same thing, discuss with council, we investigated all the funds available, set up the applications, and are getting it done.

50m swimming pools don't fall out of the sky, it needs someone who wants it badly enough to make it their focus, and push it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

Source is closed, but reopening soon. Have you tried Oriel in Ballincollig? It's a 25m pool that's usually very quiet, I used to use it when I worked out that way, but it's a bit pricey.

Completely agree that Cork needs a 50m pool, it's disgraceful that there's not one already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

anacc wrote: »
    Completely agree that Cork needs a 50m pool, it's disgraceful that there's not one already.
    Does Cork need a single 50m pool?
    I've no idea of the costs involved (building and maintaining it), or what location would be best suited. But there doesn't seem to be much of an outcry for it. Would it better to have more smaller pools (to service more people/areas) than the cost of a single large one?

Does Cork need a single 50m pool?
    I've no idea of the costs involved (building and maintaining it), or what location would be best suited. But there doesn't seem to be much of an outcry for it. Would it better to have more smaller pools (to service more people/areas) than the cost of a single large one?

Cork has plenty of 25m and 18m swimming pools. Most of them are quiet enough. There are only a few people that would prefer a 50m pool. The massive costs involved in using public money to build one for a tiny number of people that would like one are not justified.

pwurple wrote: »
    . You're an able-bodied individual, a participating member of society. Get involved. Find out what's needed, talk to people, get it moving.

I'm busy working and paying taxes. And in my free time I don't have much time to deal with things like this. It's up to the others that are getting paid to deal with this. Do some survey, ask people. And act accordingly. It's the same with potholes, I don't have time to be ringing the council everytime I drive over one. It's their job to deal with this.

Besides it's quite obvious that such a large city should have a large pool. Would be quite handy to just go to the swimming pool without having to check the schedule.

The demand might not be that high in Ireland because people are not really into swimming (plenty of people can't even swim). Foreigners definitely are (if you go to the swimming pool you'll see quite a lot of them). It's due to the weather and lower temperatures in the summer. How many people swim in the summer in Inniscarra or lakes? Very few, almost zero. If it would be around between 25-30 degrees for almost 3 months then people would spend much time in the water.

The large pool supposed to be built during the Celtic tiger years in my opinion. Instead of Churchfield for example. Better to have one big proper facility than have bits and pieces here and there. Bishopstown is a lost cause.

I'm busy working and paying taxes. And in my free time I don't have much time to deal with things like this.
    So what? I'm also busy working and paying taxes, running a company outside my 9-5, raising a family, etc etc. Yes, it's effort and a bit of a slog, but you can get involved in community projects, if motivated. This country is full of whiners, the Entitled, and has a serious lack of people willing to put any effort in whatsoever to better society for themselves or others. Always always "Not My Job".
    It's up to the others that are getting paid to deal with this. Do some survey, ask people. And act accordingly. It's the same with potholes, I don't have time to be ringing the council everytime I drive over one. It's their job to deal with this.

Yes, a 50m pool is the same undertaking as a pothole. I think I understand your mindset now. The pool will be installed next week there.

I'm busy working and paying taxes. And in my free time I don't have much time to deal with things like this. It's up to the others that are getting paid to deal with this.

Besides it's quite obvious that such a large city should have a large pool. Would be quite handy to just go to the swimming pool without having to check the schedule.

The demand might not be that high in Ireland because people are not really into swimming (plenty of people can't even swim). .

So even though you are busy earning money and paying taxes you are not prepared to pay to use one of the many private pools around the city.
    Instead you want others to advocate for massive amounts of public money to be used to provide a pool for you.

Weltsmertz wrote: »
    to provide a pool for you.

for me only? that's so nice, thank you :)

yeah Cork definitely needs a 50m pool, and also wider than whatever is in cork right now.

I went to Youghal recently, hoping it's something else.. bigger, wider maybe. I was wrong. It's basically the same size as the pool in Churchfield. Also same problem like in Churchfield. Non swimmers constantly in the way. Parents and their kids completely oblivious of their surroundings. Just hovering around being in the way. Swimming lane too narrow for people to pass each other comfortably (when swimming breaststroke), so you have to skip a tempo to pass the person.... just weird really.

While I was on holidays abroad this summer I went here:

It doesn't really matter where it is, but what it is.

Because this is something cork needs.

There were 4 lanes for swimmers in that huge swimming pool, all of them wide enough so people can pass each other comfortably. Different speeds for each lane, slow, medium and fast and then recreational swimming lane I would call it. It just said "public" so for messing I would say. Then rest of the pool for other swimmers (which was a width of two lanes). I didn't really see any small kids in this pool which is defintely a plus. Swimmers only. Noboody in the way... how it should be.

All the kids have a place to go, which is here:

or here, where they can either learn to swim or just mess around. It seeems like the depth can be adjusted? 21st century stuff right there lol, maybe in 50 years cork will have this technology too 😆

or here, there were two large jacuzzis for everyone

Slides too (two big, then some smaller), all kinds of stuff.. perfect for the kids so they are not in the way in the big swimming pool...

So this is a facility Cork needs badly. Large swimming pool for swimmers, small pool for kids to learn, slides etc. etc. Maybe in ten, twenty years.. maybe never... who knows..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭notAMember

Did you enjoy Prague? 1.3M people, with a huge tradition of swimming.

Are you old enough to remember the baths at the Lee fields I wonder? It was 100 yards * 50 yards, biggest in Ireland at the time. 1930's

Churchfield is grim. The last time I was there we were evacuated from the pool while they fished a turd out. 15 minutes while they dumped in more chlorine, and then signaled us to jump back in. They had a faecal contamination checksheet to log how many that day. Revolting. Gus healy pool is awful as well. Mardyke pool is the best in Cork for lengths I think, but it's not big enough and tricky to get access.

The council's seem to be pushed towards "innovative" notions these days. Robot trees and the like. People need to speak to their representatives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

I have to agree with the OP here.

A city the size of Cork should have at least one 50 m pool. This would be taken for granted in most other European cities of a similar size. The catchment area would actually be most of Co. Cork so almost 500,000 people.

Also agree that people should not have to campaign for this. There are certain facilities that we should expect to have in a developed country without having to beg for them. Unfortunately that is not how things work here.

Nowhere on this planet is there a utopia where all communities have their needs fully met. I'm sure Prague residents have something else they are looking for.

I read the link above with the quotes from Valerie O'Sullivan.

“The capital cost of a 50-metre pool is considerable, the National Aquatic Centre at Blanchardstown costing €63m. In addition to pool provision, other facilities such as gyms, aqua pools, fitness suites etc would be required to maximise income and help offset the very large annual operating costs.

“There is no obvious funding mechanism for the provision of a 50m pool in Cork, the Large Scale Sports Infrastructure Fund being €100m national over years 2019 to 2027, with match funding of at least 30% being required for all projects."

Looks like there is a campaign already in place for it. @niallkennycork is the twitter handle for someone involved in #lidocork #cork50mtrpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭goochy

I think Diabhalta should maybe move somewhere else going by all her negative posts about Cork . I am from Dublin but have lived in the county of Cork for may years . I am sure if i spent all my time taking pictures and moaning about Cork , my friends would tell me where to go.

Corks not perfect but i think theres plenty of things it gets right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Besides the limited public opening times and basic facilities, I'd hardly describe the Gus Healy pool "awful". It's cheap and quiet on weekdays. What's so bad about it?

The gallery area has stuff practically growing under the benches. Cracked tiles all over the place.

Maybe it’s my personal hangover from childhood too though, colouring my impression. It hasn’t changed in aeons. That step down area before the pool gives me the heebie jeebies. I’m old enough to remember the yellow gunk that used to be in that thing , the drama of trying to long jump over it, around it , tiptoe through it as fast as humanly possible. The absolutely terrifying swimming instructor back then, projecting her voice (roaring!) over the noise of 100 children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Never been in the gallery area. The foot baths have always been reasonably clean in the 10 or so years I've gone there. I haven't been there since lockdown but don't recall cracked tiles being a particular issue. Condition and cleanliness were about on-par with Bishopstown.

Diabhalta sounds a bit OCD to me or at least on the Autism sceptrum !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,079 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Whatever happened to the golden rule of "attack the post, not the poster"?

• Advertisement

Have u seen her post about roads ?

Advertisement