Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should i drop a leaving cert subject?

• 25-03-2019 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

At the moment I am doing eight subject (including LCVP) all at higher level. I have been completely lost in accounting since January and it is my only subject that I am having great difficulty in. I was thinking of dropping it and just focusing on my main 6 subjects plus LCVP.

What do you think? I would just like some other peoples opinions since all I'm being told is "its up to you" which honestly isn't really helping.

Just in case you ask I do:
    English
    Irish
    Maths
    French
    Economics
    Art
    Accounting
    lcvp

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

OP, it is up to you unfortunately. You say you have been lost since January. Does this mean you understood everything until then? Would a short term grind help? Or could you ask your teacher for help?

Not understanding one or two topics is not a reason to jack in an entire subject.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

Eight subjects at honors level is really tough. Do you have to do 8 for the CAO these days? I understand they still calculate your top six grades for points.

I’m assuming you are in 5th year, if you’re only finding it hard this year. What about doing the Ordinary level? You don’t say if you’re failing any tests or homework. Have you or your parents had a discussion with your Accounting teacher about your progress?

• Site Banned Posts: 16 AlPorter

May I ask why you are doing LCVP?

If you're stuck for time surely that's one you can drop altogether?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

I wouldn't drop Accounting - but LCVP to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 AkosiDogie69

I am in Sixth year now and im in the same situation as you I am doing 8 subjects for my Leaving Cert including LCVP.
    I do English, Irish, Maths, DCG, Business Geography and Physics

I really want to drop out of Physics. I struggle with it and have just lost interest in the subject... There's so much definitions to learn derivations lab experiments and calculations which is just wrecks my head.. I failed most of my Physics exams in fifth year the lowest being 17 percent I just suck at it so I will definitely be dropping this soon and will not be doing this subject for my leaving cert

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I am in Sixth year now and im in the same situation as you I am doing 8 subjects for my Leaving Cert including LCVP.
    I do English, Irish, Maths, DCG, Business Geography and Physics

I really want to drop out of Physics. I struggle with it and have just lost interest in the subject... There's so much definitions to learn derivations lab experiments and calculations which is just wrecks my head.. I failed most of my Physics exams in fifth year the lowest being 17 percent I just suck at it so I will definitely be dropping this soon and will not be doing this subject for my leaving cert

Would you consider taking it at Ordinary Level given that you have come this far? There is a huge difference between HL and OL.

Also many of the definitions can be answered using formulas which are in the tables book. While there are a number of derivations on the course, typically only one is asked on the exam in any given year, so you could avoid it.

If you don't like the heavy calculations avoid the mechanics question on the paper (Q6) and focus on topics such as light, electricity, nuclear physics.

Advertisement