Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel Insurance for Family

• 26-03-2019 10:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭

I am looking to get annual travel insurance for 2 adults and 2 kids to cover a couple of trips to Europe and the UK. Just wondering what the best/cheapest options are TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

I've always used the AA. Found them to be the cheapest and provided the best coverage.

Plus I have my own health insurance with also reduced the cost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

You will get different prices if you have own health insurance.
    But always read the small print as cheapest isn't always the most suitable.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Have you checked that you actually need it, versus what you will get with the EHIC coverage? I can tell you for instance here in Switzerland there is really no difference between having insurance and the EHIC card.

Also, you should read the insurance policy conditions very carefully with regard to carrying the EHIC card, it is not unknown for them to exclude costs that would have otherwise been covered by the card etc....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,599 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Have you checked that you actually need it, versus what you will get with the EHIC coverage? I can tell you for instance here in Switzerland there is really no difference between having insurance and the EHIC card.

Also, you should read the insurance policy conditions very carefully with regard to carrying the EHIC card, it is not unknown for them to exclude costs that would have otherwise been covered by the card etc....

Will they fly you home / medievac if you get sick ? Will they provide alternative accommodation or cover flights if something happens.

What about replacing luggage ?

I paid 7 euro for a weeks travel insurance some years back. Broke my leg and while I could have had an operation in Greece. I got flown home for an operation here. Saved about 30k!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

ted1 wrote: »
    Will they fly you home / medievac if you get sick ? Will they provide alternative accommodation or cover flights if something happens.

I paid 7 euro for a weeks travel insurance some years back. Broke my leg and while I could have had an operation in Greece. I got flown home for an operation here. Saved about 30k!!

Who did you get this policy with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Because Switzerland is a wealthy country where there is a well-funded public hospital around every corner.

The EHIC only gets you treatment in a public hospital. If the ambulance takes you to a private hospital or clinic, you will need insurance.

coylemj wrote: »
    Because Switzerland is a wealthy country where there is a well-funded public hospital around every corner.

We do not have a public health service in Switzerland all hospitals are private. The federal department of health employs less than 500 people.
    coylemj wrote: »
    The EHIC only gets you treatment in a public hospital. If the ambulance takes you to a private hospital or clinic, you will need insurance.

And as I advised the OP needs to read the terms of the insurance to be sure what is covered etc...

So to flesh this thing out completely, here is what I'd consider:

- In terms of the actual healthcare: What the policy covers over and above the EHIC card and how the policy might limit the coverage based on having the EHIC card. [On one occasion a neighbour of mine had their claim rejected because it was fully covered by the card and they had failed to request treatment under the card.]

- Activities: Any tourist activities excluded under the policy, such as bungee jumping for instance.

- Next is the cost of evacuation from the site where you have the accident or were over come by sickness to the nearest hospital.

- Then there is the cost of repatriation to Ireland

- Also any help offered to those who might stay with out, travel out to be with you etc...

- Search and rescue services is also something to think about if you are in the Alps. In some mountain communities it is a public service and in others you will get a bill for their services.

That is all I can think of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

We do not have a public health service in Switzerland all hospitals are private.

Hang on, you said earlier....
    here in Switzerland there is really no difference between having insurance and the EHIC card.

Which I take to mean that you can go to a hospital in Switzerland, flash your EHIC card and they will treat you. How is that not a 'public health service?'.

St. Vincent's and the Mater hospitals (not their private wings) are 'private' in that they are owned by religious trusts, not the Dept. of Health but they're funded by the HSE so for all intents and purposes, they are public hospitals. My point being that just because hospitals in Switzerland are privately owned, it doesn't mean they don't provide a public health service. Which they clearly do if they treat people who have an EHIC card and no medical insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,599 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Who did you get this policy with?

That’s a standard policy. I got with Ryanair at the time. I’ve an annual policy with someone else now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,747 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

ted1 wrote: »

7 euro a week is very expensive for travel insurance - that's over €350 a year. Any plans I've ever had, or seen have the above as standard and cost a fraction of the price - like €50 a year for multi-trip cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Ace2007 wrote: »
    7 euro a week is very expensive for travel insurance - that's over €350 a year. Any plans I've ever had, or seen have the above as standard and cost a fraction of the price - like €50 a year for multi-trip cover.
    The curse of syntax. It was €7 for a week' duration policy. To cover the week of their holiday only.

Not an annual policy.

Annual policies can be great value if there is a family and there is the possibility of more than one trip.

But read the small print.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭soc

I recently purchased Travel Insurance from Cornmarket.
    You pay for 2 adults and children under 17 are free, and no excess.
    We went with Worldwide cover. Cost us €72 for the year

Advertisement