Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place in Limerick to go for a good long cycle

• 26-03-2019 10:54am

The weather is getting nicer and I do a lot of walking but now I’d like to start cycling again but it’s been years and I’m wanting to know if there any nice spots to go cycling where I can go for 2 hours or more without stoping etc does Limerick have a cycle tracks or something like that.

Thank you (and I won’t forget my helmet)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

The weather is getting nicer and I do a lot of walking but now I’d like to start cycling again but it’s been years and I’m wanting to know if there any nice spots to go cycling where I can go for 2 hours or more without stoping etc does Limerick have a cycle tracks or something like that.

Thank you (and I won’t forget my helmet)
    Clare street behind the garage. Path all the way to UL.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I love heading out the Old Cratloe Road towards Sixmilebridge. Sometimes I'd take the Knocklisheen Road up the back of Gallows Hill for an extra challenge. The dual carriageway is reasonably safe on the way home, but the views are boring (apart from Bunratty).

I'm told there's a Greenway out beyond Rathkeale now as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,336 ✭✭✭✭phog

The old railway line from Rathkeale to Abbeyfeale is interesting but too many gates - I had to dismount to open some of them

I sometimes cycle along the canal out towards UL then onto Annacotty, back to UL then over to Gillogue then back into Corbally, down the Shannon Fields and back to Clare St.

Thanks for the replies

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

Head out the old Dublin Rd towards Birdhill. It's cycle lane the whole way out and back. You can stop for a coffee at the Apple Green garage next to the motorway and cycle the same road back in again.
    It's reasonably quiet nowadays with the motorway bypassing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Head out the old Dublin Rd towards Birdhill. It's cycle lane the whole way out and back. You can stop for a coffee at the Apple Green garage next to the motorway and cycle the same road back in again.
    Great coffee shop in the village now too, called the Old Barracks. Swing a left at Matt the Threshers and its right there.

Clare street behind the garage. Path all the way to UL.

Did it once I got nothing but flies or flees buzzing about but I’ll give it another shot

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Great coffee shop in the village now too, called the Old Barracks. Swing a left at Matt the Threshers and its right there.

Good to know that. Cheers

Thanks for the tip according to google maps it’s an hour cycle from Dublin road to bird hill sounds perfect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Where does that cycle lane to Birdhill start and stop? I'm looking on Google Streetview and can't see much if any cycle track. Maybe I'm on the wrong route or the images are out of date?

• Advertisement

It starts just after the roundabout at Lisnagry, the one where you can get onto the motorway towards Dublin.

This will take you towards Herberts pub and where the train crosses the road. Be very careful crossing over the track, it comes at an angle and you can get caught in the tracks and take a wallop so slow down to a small pace.

Then it's pretty much cycle lane all the way to Nenagh. You'll have one roundabout to contend with in Birdhill, and then it's back to straight road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

It starts just after the roundabout at Lisnagry, the one where you can get onto the motorway towards Dublin.

This will take you towards Herberts pub and where the train crosses the road. Be very careful crossing over the track, it comes at an angle and you can get caught in the tracks and take a wallop so slow down to a small pace.

Then it's pretty much cycle lane all the way to Nenagh. You'll have one roundabout to contend with in Birdhill, and then it's back to straight road.

Thanks for that, I see the blue signs now indicating bike & pedestrian lane on what I thought was just a footpath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

44 Reg
    Thanks for the tip according to google maps it’s an hour cycle from Dublin road to bird hill sounds perfect

You could travel back in by a different route. At Birdhill, turn left just past the old co-op on to the road which leads you to Montpelier - couple of fairly steep climbs en route.Take a left at the junction and continue straight on back to Daly's Cross. It's a lot longer distance but quieter with little enough traffic and more picturesque.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

chicorytip wrote: »
    44 Reg

You could travel back in by a different route. At Birdhill, turn left just past the old co-op on to the road which leads you to Montpelier - couple of fairly steep climbs en route.Take a left at the junction and continue straight on back to Daly's Cross. It's a lot longer distance but quieter with little enough traffic and more picturesque.

Good call - always better to make some kind of loop to avoid boredom.

Great point above Eire-Dearg about the angled rail tracks in Lisnagry - I've seen a couple of bad ones with my own eyes so I always pay it respect.

Back from my cycle I’m wrecked

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Back from my cycle I’m wrecked

Where'd you end up going?

I've started cycling to and from football training over the last few weeks. The trip home is always much slower. :P

Where'd you end up going?

I've started cycling to and from football training over the last few weeks. The trip home is always much slower. :P

Cycled from limerick city centre to roundabout at Lisnagray and then down the cycle path when I was knackered I turned for home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

try cycling out the Old Cork Road/Kilmallock Road and take the left turn after Ballyneety to take the back way into Lough Gur, cycle around Lough Gur and back home!

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

Yes its great...but its expensive and pretentious

frosty123 wrote: »
    Yes its great...but its expensive and pretentious

Agreed on both counts, but the coffee is delicious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

^^^^^

is it? think its very much meh..though im no coffee expert

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Out the Corbally Road, effortless downhill into Broadford for the coffee stop. But you then HAVE to cycle back up Broadford Hill. Enjoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I've done a loop starting in Corbally, out through Clonlara, over the bridge and turning right on to Killaloe, over the river to Ballina, and then back through Birdhill and past UL, then back to Corbally. It was about 45 kilometres I think. Nice stretch of the legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,145 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,

Old thread I know but no need for a new one....

I'm meeting some friends & cycling the Greenway. I'll be there early so looking for a 1-2 hour cycle that starting at finishing at Rathkeale that it's the greenway.

Ta,

Pa.

Put Rathkeale to Curraghchase into google maps and you can work out some loops. You can cycle down through Curraghchase and get a coffee for yourself.

Long time since I cycled those roads though, someone else might be able to say if the roads are still safe to cycle these days or not.

I've never actually cycled this road but driven it a lot over the years and it never seems safe to cycle to me, not sure why though. It would be great to see a Greenway out to Killmallock and Ballyhoura in time, a real gem of part of the county.

There are back roads you can take to Lough Gur which avoid the traffic

The one backroad I can think of (steep enough hill before Lough Gur, high walls either side and a few very narrow points?) would be a lovely cycle until you have to share it with any traffic at all? Could you post up your route if you have a chance, I'd love to get out there on a proper spin.

my usual route is Kilmallock road, left at the 4 Elms pub, then take the 2nd right off the Commons Road up through Bohermore, then either go through Caherclonlish and out the Ballyneety road, or striaght throu onto the Ballyneety road, if the fomer, proceed straight past the small graveyard and take the small road left, if the latter, turn left and take the next right, keep cycling then until you pass Cahernally NS and then turn right and this brings you to the back route to Lough Gur....hope that makes sense!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,145 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi again,

Thanks all for the suggestions but there's a change of plan...the others have bailed so it's just me. I'm guessing that there's more scenic routes around Limerick then the greenway- correct? If so, looking for recommendation for a 2-3 hour scenic ride, please. I'll be going to Dooradoyle afterwards so prefer if the start & finish point isn't far West or South Limerick.

Another possible option- I know that this is in county Clare so maybe wrong place to ask but it's so near by, people here might have an opinion.

I know the road off the motorway it's nice around Tulla and Scariff. Any spin routes around there you'd recommend? I'll post up afterwards what route I did & thoughts on it.

Based on someone who recommended out to Birdhill, what do ye make of this route? (I'm staying near the start point, that's the only reason I choose it).

Thanks again,

Pa.

Post edited by dinneenp on

Advertisement