Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extending 2.5 twin and earth

Options
  • 26-03-2019 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭

I need to extend 2.5mm twin and earth however the connection needs to be under floorboards.

Am I correct in saying these need to be crimped connections? If yes do I simply use something like the below and apply heatshrink?

Red upto 1.5mm, Blue 1.5mm upto 2.5mm and Yellow for 4 & 6mm

Thanks for the help

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Solid core copper cables should not be crimped.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭heffo500

2011 wrote: »
    Solid core copper cables should not be crimped.

What is the acceptable way? A maintenance free junction box?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

heffo500 wrote: »
    What is the acceptable way? A maintenance free junction box?

In my opinion all junction boxes for LV cables should always be accessible. I’m not saying that this is a regulation but it is certainly good practice. It is always best to avoid junction boxes whenever possible. Sometimes this is achieved by adding in a socket or an isolator. Either way solid core copper cables should not be crimped (although this is permitted for aluminum cables). That leaves you with a number of other options including screwed terminals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

Anyone rate wagos as maintenance free option?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

2011 wrote: »
    In my opinion all junction boxes for LV cables should always be accessible. I’m not saying that this is a regulation but it is certainly good practice. It is always best to avoid junction boxes whenever possible. Sometimes this is achieved by adding in a socket or an isolator. Either way solid core copper cables should not be crimped (although this is permitted for aluminum cables). That leaves you with a number of other options including screwed terminals.

I'm certainly not disagreeing with those sentiments, however maintenance-free junction boxes (such as the Hager/Ashley ones) utilise Wago-style connectors (in fact I have heard it claimed that they are actually Wago manufactured connectors) and therefore do not carry the same risk as screwed terminals with thermal cycling etc. Also they have strain relief to the cables with clamps/grips. But certainly I would agree avoid junction boxes where possible (and where installed make a note of their location).

• Advertisement
Advertisement