Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old tyres causing creaking sound?

Options
  • 26-03-2019 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

As title suggests I'm suspecting that the creaking noise I hear, especially when putting on pressure, is being caused by the tyres. Initially suspected the bottom bracket but then it sometimes occurs when not actually pedalling at all, just freewheeling. So, anyone know if tyres could be the source of the noise?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

could be the spokes, or as sometimes happens on one of my bikes, the wheel axle creaking in the dropouts as the fork flexes slightly under load or cornering.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,329 ✭✭✭secman

Had it myself at one stage, bike mechanic sprayed silicone on spokes at point of entry to rim, sorted immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

A bit of grease on your finger and then apply the grease to the dropouts of front and rear wheel. Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

My old knees do this.

Check yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Could also be the spokes flexing where they overlap, this happens on one set of wheels I have but a bit of WD40 or what have you at the overlapping point cures it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭peking97

Thanks all for the suggestions. Will report back in case someone else has a similar case.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭peking97

Just for follow-up reasons...it seems to have been cured by greasing the dropouts. Thanks again for the suggestions.

Advertisement