Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solicitor increasing conveyance fees

Options
  • 26-03-2019 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

My solicitor has decided to increase the professional fees (+400e) for a house purchase (new build) due to the large volume of documents which the title includes. This is bringing the fees to over 2k.

Is it normal for solicitors to increase the fees like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

ruaneg wrote: »
    My solicitor has decided to increase the professional fees (+400e) for a house purchase (new build) due to the large volume of documents which the title includes. This is bringing the fees to over 2k.

Is it normal for solicitors to increase the fees like this?

Not unusual. The price they quote is based on standard expectations. It's not difficult for a particular case to raise issues that need addressing additional to standard expecations. The small print on your agreement with him will have stated as much, I'm sure.

I'm not sure why the title would have an inordinate amount of documents. Houses can either be unregistered with land registry - in which case the title documents will likely be involved (tracking back the history of ownership of the house). You can come across hiccups there.

Or the property will be registered, in which case there's a clean folio in which the various wrinkles have already been ironed out. I don't see why a new house (which must be registered with land registry) would have a complicated title.

Ask you solicitor that at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭ruaneg

There has being some back and forth with the builder solicitor. The reason they gave for the extra cost was "the large volume of documents which the title includes". Apparently there was alot more to read through than normal.

Advertisement