Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB ports not working

Options
  • 26-03-2019 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭

Hi, I searched the above and results are 6 years old.

My USB ports are not working since an update on my Windows 10 Dell. I went to device manager and there is a error triangle at the USB menu at the bottom I clicked it, tried to update driver but computer says device is not working properly ... any ideas?

Also is it safe to turn off the updates as everytime it updates computer, it causes some problem? Or is this problem caused by a virus?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

In device manager uninstall and delete the driver (if you get the option) then run Windows update to download a new copy - they may be corrupted

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Blue2044

You've probably tried turning it off and on again but if you haven't I'd turn the computer off, plug it out, take the battery out and leave it completely powerless for a few minutes. Then boot it back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Was anything plugged into the USB ports when W10 did the update?

I've noticed that it makes a mess of things installing bus controllers on my USB3 hubs if anything is using them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Thanks for the help. Well I turned it on and deleted the driver. I went to windows update and there is an update running but this will take a long time due to my broadband connection. It did however detect my new mouse and is waiting to download. Is there any way I can postpone update and do it at work tomorrow at work?

• Advertisement

fritzelly wrote: »

I hope so. I'll report back. Thanks.

Still downloading on dial up...

fritzelly wrote: »
    Still downloading on dial up...

Near enough :) One of the many advantages of living in the countryside.

Well after the update, it returned an error message but it seemed to re-install the mouse as the computer restarted. However, my USB ports are still not working. Any ideas??

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

Try going to the Dell support website and click on "detect pc"

https://www.dell.com/support/home/lt/en/ltbsdt1?app=drivers

It says "Dell's SupportAssist application is used to detect your PC and run diagnostic and driver-update scans. Please wait while we check to see if SupportAssist is installed on your device."

• Advertisement

It's gone back to the computer shop - I couldn't take any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It is usually a case of just manually finding the correct drivers online as the newest version of Windows for whatever reason can't find the right ones for the controller. It's very annoying when it happens but should be perfectly solvable.

Advertisement