Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Limerick City Centre going backwards?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

Mc Love wrote: »
    Tbh I'd rather go to the city center to shop than the crescent. I actually detest the place, if i have to go there, I'm in and out in a flash.

i hate the place as well. you're likely to be ran over by a pram or a trolley. zero etiquette or mannerisms out there.

the city centre retail offerings are pretty poor, but its a much more enjoyable experience to make a morning or afternoon out of. Do a bit of shopping or browsing, visit the Milk Market, enjoy a nice lunch in the many cafes/restaurants, bring the kids to Peoples Parks for a gander & play in the playground, pop into a museum or art gallery, or go for a lovely walk along the river & feed the swans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

mdmix wrote: »
    none of this can happen unless there is an increased city population to merit these improvements

How do you make that out?

Do you know this "city" does not have one public outdoor multi sports area? Ennis and Tipp town have more than us guess they must have had a population boom.

Also towns a lot smaller than ours have huge festivals these kind of events attract punters from far and wide so no real need for a population increase there either.

The train station has already happened as have a lot of cycle lanes with more coming I believe.

As for the large music venue again this would draw crowds from further than Limerick especially if it was purpose built.

Cinema well maybe not a huge onmiplex but how about a smaller one showing different films than the latest blockbusters, there is probably a market there already for that.

All very do-able.

damowill wrote: »
    i hate the place as well. you're likely to be ran over by a pram or a trolley. zero etiquette or mannerisms out there.

the city centre retail offerings are pretty poor, but its a much more enjoyable experience to make a morning or afternoon out of. Do a bit of shopping or browsing, visit the Milk Market, enjoy a nice lunch in the many cafes/restaurants, bring the kids to Peoples Parks for a gander & play in the playground, pop into a museum or art gallery, or go for a lovely walk along the river & feed the swans.

Such a shame that you practically named out everything there is to do on a Saturday in Limerick in one short paragraph. Only thing you didn't mention was taking in a match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Stab*City wrote: »
    How do you make that out?

Do you know this "city" does not have one public outdoor multi sports area? Ennis and Tipp town have more than us guess they must have had a population boom.

Where do you suggest we put this? Closest area I can think of is if the council convert the old racecourse, but you'll probably say thats too far from the city.
    Also towns a lot smaller than ours have huge festivals these kind of events attract punters from far and wide so no real need for a population increase there either.

I suspect you're talking about the likes of Willie Clancy? Most of these are unique or have some connection to the place. We do have the Limerick International Food Truck Festival - which was a great event and I believe its due back again this year.
    As for the large music venue again this would draw crowds from further than Limerick especially if it was purpose built.

I'd agree, if we had a similar 3 arena complex maybe in Cleeves Site or in the docks, but then again it would need to be run by a promoter as many people dont want to see the same acts over and over again. But who is going to pay for this? Surely not some rich benefactor for fear of being labelled a record collection of his.
    Cinema well maybe not a huge onmiplex but how about a smaller one showing different films than the latest blockbusters, there is probably a market there already for that.

The Belltable has done this in the past iirc

Where do you suggest we put this? Closest area I can think of is if the council convert the old racecourse, but you'll probably say thats too far from the city.

Not thinking very hard then are you and before I begin your continued smart undertone is not lost on me at all keyboard warrior, as I said already the clare street park is a perfect spot. Or maybe the peoples park, also plenty of space down the dock road and again over towards corbally.

I suspect you're talking about the likes of Willie Clancy? Most of these are unique or have some connection to the place. We do have the Limerick International Food Truck Festival - which was a great event and I believe its due back again this year.

Wrong again, also based on your previous logic things do not need to have a connection to places to be successful. :D:D:rolleyes:, Life (Westmeath), All together now (Waterford), Maas (Clonmel), Techworks (Millstreet), Body&Soul (Westmeath)and the list goes on and on.. Marquee Cork, Arts Fest Galway. Etc.

I'd agree, if we had a similar 3 arena complex maybe in Cleeves Site or in the docks, but then again it would need to be run by a promoter as many people dont want to see the same acts over and over again. But who is going to pay for this? Surely not some rich benefactor for fear of being labelled a record collection of his.

Again with the undertones, are you just replying to my comments to try and rise me? A lot more people enjoy music than rugby, so a venture like this would appeal across the board not just to munster polo shirt wearing coffee connoisseurs on match day. And no we dont want to see the same ol tired acts over and over again all the time 30 years after their heyday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Not thinking very hard then are you and before I begin your continued smart undertone is not lost on me at all keyboard warrior, as I said already the clare street park is a perfect spot. Or maybe the peoples park, also plenty of space down the dock road and again over towards corbally.

Sorry for not thinking very hard on this. Very poor opinion of me, there's no need for personal insults, think it might be against the forum charter. O'Briens Park would be a good spot, what would you like to see put in there? Tennis courts? It is quite small for a public outdoor multi sports venue though. People's park hosted the truck festival so might not be the best place for a public outdoor multi sports venue like they have in Ennis. Where in Corbally would you see something like this being put in? Who would pay for it, if private land would have to be bought?

Wrong again, also based on your previous logic things do not need to have a connection to places to be successful. :D:D:rolleyes:, Life (Westmeath), All together now (Waterford), Maas (Clonmel), Techworks (Millstreet), Body&Soul (Westmeath)and the list goes on and on.. Marquee Cork, Arts Fest Galway. Etc.
    Ok they are all good events, what would you suggest we have in Limerick that could attract people? We have Riverfest or do you count that?

Again with the undertones, are you just replying to my comments to try and rise me? A lot more people enjoy music than rugby, so a venture like this would appeal across the board not just to munster polo shirt wearing coffee connoisseurs on match day. And no we dont want to see the same ol tired acts over and over again all the time 30 years after their heyday.

What undertones? I'm just replying to your post based on your previous logic that JP backing the rugby experience would be used as his personal trophy cabinet. What about the people that dont like music per se, maybe the venue could hold the Cirque du Soleil or Disney on Ice? It would need serious backing, maybe if Joe Brooks or the Collison brothers would stump up the cash.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

mod note: infraction to stab city. No personal abuse.
    Keep it civil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

I think Limerick City centre is great. Love living here. I've lived in plenty of other cities, including Cork and Dublin, and overseas, and the quality of life in Limerick is the best I've experienced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

A removal of height restrictions would be beneficial, nationwide, not just in Limerick is the 1st step needed. Secondly, tax breaks on rental income for new development inside rental pressure zones/urban areas would go a long way. This could be extended to refurbishment of existing residential buildings. Only when residential issues are solved can commercial issues be solved too.

I don't think height restrictions are holding Limerick back too much. The current laws allow us to build up to 15 storeys. The docks area is suitable for plenty of tall buildings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Need more things going on by the river - we've had a great big f**king beautiful river with historical backdrops aplenty, sun setting down on it and you can barely get a table to look out at it anywhere bar Locke (which doesn't reeeeally look out on the river), JJ Bowles and Curragower. House put up a botanical garden outside in the smoking area to block the view. Heard someone say before that 'Limerick has turned it's back on the river' and it's true.

Not particularly mad about the big wheel yoke at Arthur's Quay but it's an effort at something different there that incorporates one one of the best views in the city.

I don't know what it should be - German-style market wooden sheds dotted along it selling food and crafts (weren't they doing food by the river at one point and music?) but put something in there that people will enjoy browsing around and people will come see it.

You get the sense that the council just want rates-rates-rates and don't particularly care what goes in to what unit.

Watching very closely to see what goes into Cleeves... that site has so much potential but I suspect they'll raze it or put offices into it instead of something that'll give a bit more life to the city like a cultural centre or venue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Exactly allowing another Starbucks just kills independent food places

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

They really need to close that road in front of House and Milanos to traffic and make it a big wide riverside pedestrian area with loads of seating etc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

A removal of height restrictions would be beneficial, nationwide, not just in Limerick is the 1st step needed.

Height restrictions were abolished by the government a few months ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Height restrictions were abolished by the government a few months ago.

I wasn't aware, good to know.

keane2097 wrote: »
    They really need to close that road in front of House and Milanos to traffic and make it a big wide riverside pedestrian area with loads of seating etc.

It would be cool, but the entrance to Harveys Quay car park means it'll never happen (At least not in front of Milanos).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

bigpink wrote: »
    Exactly allowing another Starbucks just kills independent food places

No one ‘allowed’ Starbucks. They can open where they want provided the unit is zoned for the correct use...which it is. Too many people moaning about why the council allowed Starbucks to open. It’s capitalism.

No one ‘allowed’ Starbucks. They can open where they want provided the unit is zoned for the correct use...which it is. Too many people moaning about why the council allowed Starbucks to open. It’s capitalism.

They could give breaks to independent or niche businesses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

bigpink wrote:

Most of these would find it difficult to afford the rates.

Rift, Canteen, Carlton, Bean an Ti, Melt, Aroma, The Story Café, The Stormy Teacup, The Buttery.

It’s not like Limerick has a shortage of very good independents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

It would be cool, but the entrance to Harveys Quay car park means it'll never happen (At least not in front of Milanos).

Yeah I wonder is there any way around that

Rift, Canteen, Carlton, Bean an Ti, Melt, Aroma, The Story Café, The Stormy Teacup, The Buttery.

It’s not like Limerick has a shortage of very good independents.

So Starbucks does not hit independent places?

So Starbucks does not hit independent places?

You know I’m not sure it has a significant impact. Different markets. If any coffee shop will suffer as a result of this new Starbucks, it will be their other branch on Thomas Street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭apc

I'd say the ramp into Harvey's quay car park could be modified to open onto Bedford Row if required

apc wrote: »
    I'd say the ramp into Harvey's quay car park could be modified to open onto Bedford Row if required

I don't think it can be. That building was so poorly designed. It killed the chances of doing anything decent with Lower Bedford Row, and the three other sides leave much to be desired too.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Giggsy19

Not sure why everyone is so against Starbucks, if anything it's these of kind of big names we need in the city centre. I'm sure the Starbucks target market are unlikely to drinking the small independent coffee shops but for me there s room for everyone surely. Always the limerick way, it doesn't always have to me one or the other, it can be both.

Giggsy19 wrote: »
    Not sure why everyone is so against Starbucks, if anything it's these of kind of big names we need in the city centre. I'm sure the Starbucks target market are unlikely to drinking the small independent coffee shops but for me there s room for everyone surely. Always the limerick way, it doesn't always have to me one or the other, it can be both.

It's far from everyone who're opposed to Starbucks. Quite the opposite in fact I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Giggsy19

It's far from everyone who're opposed to Starbucks. Quite the opposite in fact I reckon.

Maube not everyone but just feels like people want the big brand names for clothes but won't shop in the small boutique clothes shops but are anti Starbucks cos they destroy the smaller shops!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

One thing that would help the city centre is an improved and upgraded rail service into the city. If you have ever gotten the train into it say from Nenagh its painfully slow. No wonder people don't use. People are going to drive instead and more than likely pop round to the crescent than the city centre

As for the Starbucks debate not many other coffee shops stay open as late as them in the evening. If you want to meet friends after work that doesn't involve going for a drink choices can be limited

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

One thing that would help the city centre is an improved and upgraded rail service into the city. If you have ever gotten the train into it say from Nenagh its painfully slow. No wonder people don't use. People are going to drive instead and more than likely pop round to the crescent than the city centre

As for the Starbucks debate not many other coffee shops stay open as late as them in the evening. If you want to meet friends after work that doesn't involve going for a drink choices can be limited

With the emphasis on jobs and office space in the city, good public transport links is now needed in Limerick more than ever. Bus services to the suburbs is extremely poor and the Limerick-Ballbrophy line is archaic.

It really irks me that the Limerick-Dublin doesn't have it's own line (or it does but it's almost unused). train travels east first to Limerick Junction to link up with the Cork line. The Limerick-Ballbrophy line needs to be upgraded which would give us a high speed line to Dublin that would benefit both Limerick and Dublin, as well as commuter towns. By Train Limerick-Dublin should only take 1.5hr. Instead by having to connect with the junction it takes as long as by car.

Advertisement