Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion Switch Arcing

Options
  • 26-03-2019 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭

Recently changed a standard 20amp dual immersion switch with the neon light due to arcing that had caused it to stick in the off position. Switch was old enough that I cannot remember replacing it so that was fine....

The new switch however is arcing when turning off. Is there any chance the heating element is causing this in any way or is it all down to the switch quality?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭kilianmanning

GSPfan wrote: »
    Recently changed a standard 20amp dual immersion switch with the neon light due to arcing that had caused it to stick in the off position. Switch was old enough that I cannot remember replacing it so that was fine....

The new switch however is arcing when turning off. Is there any chance the heating element is causing this in any way or is it all down to the switch quality?

Are your connections tight enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Are your connections tight enough?

Yeah that is one of the things I’m absolutely certain of. It’s something I’ll check again purely for the sake of checking but making good contact with the wire and tight connections are something I always make sure of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Most switches switching off an electrical load will arc to some degree.

Bruthal wrote: »
    Most switches switching off an electrical load will arc to some degree.

Yeah It’s one of those things that it just seems that bit too much that it’s surely going to do damage. Trying to see what can be done to reduce it at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

GSPfan wrote: »

I've seen this on some cheaper switches. What make of switch is It?

• Advertisement

JonnyM wrote: »
    I've seen this on some cheaper switches. What make of switch is It?

I actually don’t know as I didn’t take notice. I’ll have a look. It’s actually in my Grandmothers house so I’m not near it to check right now.
    Got it out of a National Electric Wholesalers for €6.

Advertisement