Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-Permanent Teachers - What do you do for your summers?

• 26-03-2019 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

Hi there,

I'm a non-permanent teacher for the past few years. Been doing maternity leaves and what not. Every summer, I normally work as a temporary worker in the Civil Service to get me through the summer. The pay isn't great but it keeps me going. I wouldn't mind finding something else this year. I know some people go on the dole and some people work summer camps and stuff. I'd love hear peoples experiences of what they do, whatever it is, and how they find it. It might help me get some ideas of something else to do. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

I was temporary as an SNA and a teacher for a total of 9 years. I used to do childminding or private tuition, which I usually found through the school I worked in. Some summers I also worked evenings in a call centre, and I did a summer camp one year as an SNA and it was hell! One year I did office work out beside the airport and that was pretty crap too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Look in to July Provision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

myshirt wrote:
    Look in to July Provision.

Oh yeah I forgot I did this one summer too, school based, the money I took home wasn't worth it. I was taxed about half. My husband was on Jobseekers at the time and when my payment finally came through in November, they sought 600euro back from him as he was receiving a bit of extra money for me that summer as his qualified dependant. They were in the right of course and we repaid the money, but it left me with very little for the 2 weeks I worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Tommo3434343

Cash_Q wrote: »
    Oh yeah I forgot I did this one summer too, school based, the money I took home wasn't worth it. I was taxed about half. My husband was on Jobseekers at the time and when my payment finally came through in November, they sought 600euro back from him as he was receiving a bit of extra money for me that summer as his qualified dependant. They were in the right of course and we repaid the money, but it left me with very little for the 2 weeks I worked.

Yeah, it doesn't sound worth it to me. The same correcting exams. What's the point if I don't get paid until later in the year? I need regular income to live on during the summer.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I used to teach in Irish college (primary teacher, Irish to degree level)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Yeah, it doesn't sound worth it to me. The same correcting exams. What's the point if I don't get paid until later in the year? I need regular income to live on during the summer.

If you correct regularly, you will get the majority in July when correcting with the balance end of September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Drive for a silage contractor :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭Grueller

Noveight wrote: »
    Drive for a silage contractor :P

Don't knock it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Grueller wrote: »
    Don't knock it.

Where I went to school all the students had it sewn up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Grueller wrote: »
    Don't knock it.

At it for the past 8 years and no signs of quitting, the nicest summer top-up a teacher can have imo.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

A lot of non permanent teachers get paid for the summer, CID contracts aren't permanent, but get paid

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Tommo3434343

judeboy101 wrote: »
    A lot of non permanent teachers get paid for the summer, CID contracts aren't permanent, but get paid

I know yeah. I'm referring to teachers who don't. Should have been more clear.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I volunteer abroad (and did when I was non-permanent as well). Didn't make money but I lived cheap and I felt it was a worthwhile thing to do. Some charities won't fleece you for fundraising beforehand! One gang required no fundraising and paid my flight over (they were a well funded gang who were having trouble convincing teachers to go to that country).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭emilymemily

I usually sign on and work in Summer camps. Ive thought English as a second language in Summer schools a few years in a row but dont think ill be doing it again, its hell, the hours are long - usually 8.30 am - 6.30 pm with two hour breaks that we didnt get paid for, the students where privileged little feckers that had been sent over to learn English by their wealthy families, the general attitudes of some of them was horrendous, the money just wasn't worth the hassle and stress in the end.
    I also use any free time I have to upskill either doing online courses or short courses in Dublin. I also save a bit of money each month during the year to keep me tipping over during the Summer months.

Advertisement