Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homemade Anti-Crush pole for bike box

Options
  • 26-03-2019 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, just a long-shot, but hopefully someone might have an idea or a solution...

Has anyone made themselves an anti-crush pole for their own bike box? Just wondering what you might have done (made of wood, Aluminium or whatever...)

THIS is an example of one of the poles, but like my own bike box, it is built-in so ye can't just stick something like this in a box without some sort of way to stop it sliding out of place and/or tipping over.

Heading off to Spain with the wife shortly but her bikebox is sort of a bit 'squashy' and the spokes would take the brunt of any kind of crush or heavy load laterally.

Was thinking of even something simple like two wooden 'X' platforms with a wooden 'pole' screwed in after placement in the box. It could go through the spokes of the wheels and then with the X's it wouldn't tip over and I could even tape it to the side of the box to hold in place.
    Wouldn't have to be nuke-proof, just something basic for a bit of extra strength laterally.

thanks,
    Andy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

If you're that worried about your bike, and it must be a decent bike, then I'd be buying / renting / borrowing a proper box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Two pieces of lightish mdf positioned correctly and then a kitchen cupboard adjustable leg works well , silicone the mdf in place and then fix one side of the leg and the "other" side is adjustable by twisting.
    https://www.google.ie/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwj2h9rz3qDhAhVNu-0KHV72ClYYABAIGgJkZw&sig=AOD64_0APnYBqp-YfABaaS21LuqpNn-5Kw&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwj3w9Xz3qDhAhWmUxUIHaSjBlIQwg96BAgLEBU&adurl=

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

moonshadow wrote: »
    Two pieces of lightish mdf positioned correctly and then a kitchen cupboard adjustable leg works well , silicone the mdf in place and then fix one side of the leg and the "other" side is adjustable by twisting.
    https://www.google.ie/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwj2h9rz3qDhAhVNu-0KHV72ClYYABAIGgJkZw&sig=AOD64_0APnYBqp-YfABaaS21LuqpNn-5Kw&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwj3w9Xz3qDhAhWmUxUIHaSjBlIQwg96BAgLEBU&adurl=

oh!! Nice one, thanks for that idea, I hadn't thought of that. BnQ tomorrow at lunch for me so!

fat bloke wrote: »
    If you're that worried about your bike, and it must be a decent bike, then I'd be buying / renting / borrowing a proper box.

no you're right...and I suppose really I should be putting MY bike in the squishy box and putting her bike in the VeloVault, but...well...ahhhh.... :p

We'll eventually have to shell out for a proper hardshell bikebox for herself I guess - she said not to - I think secretly she might be planning for a new bike even though hers is savage :eek: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Be aware that MDF is heavy or too thin. You might do as well with two layers of cardboard at right angles* to each other. You might not even need the pole. Line each side of the box with two layers.

* Right angles because cardboard has a 'grain' and is strong in one direction but not the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭hesker

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Be aware that MDF is heavy or too thin. You might do as well with two layers of cardboard at right angles* to each other. You might not even need the pole. Line each side of the box with two layers.

* Right angles because cardboard has a 'grain' and is strong in one direction but not the other.

I’ve received bikes where strips of cardboard were rolled up and taped. About 5 inch diameter. Quite strong but obviously won’t protect against someone driving over the box

Actually, yeah was looking at the plinths and thought with MDF I'd need to put a washer and nut on the other side of it to hold them in place because a screw would need more depth to grip into properly.

I like the cardboard ideas - I've a strong cardboard box that my wheels were delivered in so I could roll up and tape some 'pillars' made from that, and could try secure them in place to stop them just falling down when the bike is being thrown :eek: moved round in transit.
    thanks guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Buy two of these and put suction cup on both ends.

32894_sp135_c8798f.jpg

GreeBo wrote: »
    Buy two of these and put suction cup on both ends.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I have the S&S compression members in my home made bike box.

http://www.sandsmachine.com/ac_comp.htm

They're great. I don't know whether they can be easily purchased, but I reckon you could cobble something similar from plumbing supplies.

edit: christ, I remember 69kg. It seems like such a long time ago.

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    I have the S&S compression members in my home made bike box.

http://www.sandsmachine.com/ac_comp.htm

They're great. I don't know whether they can be easily purchased, but I reckon you could cobble something similar from plumbing supplies.

edit: christ, I remember 69kg. It seems like such a long time ago.

wow! that looks really cool :cool:
    So I see the pillars are held in place through the spokes, but when you stand the box up vertically and when it's in transit...do they not shift or tilt at all?
    I tried yesterday with some plastic piping I had in the shed. Cut them and held in place with the foam packing material I had in the box, and placed them through the spokes. But sure as soon as I stood the box up, and shuffled it round a bit, they all moved out of place.
    The box is semi-rigid, so that built-in flex gives everything a chance to move.

I'm trying again today with the cardboard I think. My old Campag wheels came in a really strong box so I'll get cutting that up and I think wedging between the spokes might keep them in place.

Advertisement